Queen's Park v East Fife

After seeing us lose 5 games in a row I hoped watching Scotland might cheer me up a wee bit...what the f**k was I thinking? So it’s now back to QP to restore my faith in the beautiful game.

We desperately need something from this one. Would start with Zanatta and Malone up front and I’d also like to see a place for Galt. He has a bit of skill and imagination that others don’t have although he does lack consistency.  Not going to predict anything apart from Willie Muir getting some pelters

The free weekend has probably done the squad the world of good as we had a few injuries and viruses. Hopefully we'll have almost a full squad to choose from for what is always a tough contest. Gary will be looking for a reaction after our disappointing defeat at the hands of Stenhousemuir but I don't think he'll change very much. Willie Muir didn't play for us long enough or badly enough to get pelters so I think it'll be fairly quiet on that front. 

Fear the curse of the manager of the month award!!!
Don't think we've ever won a game directly after Gary has won it the previous 5 or 6 times!!!

Firstly, Queens deserved the three points despite Mark Hurst not really having many saves to make. The goal took a wicked deselection over Hurst but the damage was done when we failed to clear the ball which we did regularly in the first half. Mercer looked really lacking in confidence and it was no surprise that he was hooked at HT. Too often recently he has been caught square to opponents and once they go by him he has no chance of catching them. Going forward Queens broke at pace, whereas we were content to play the ball about at the back before almost inevitably lumping the ball forward to Insall who was never likely to win the ball against McGeever ! Queens were able to play the ball out from the back as we sat back in our own half leaving Insall to try to shut down the defenders.

I can only really remember Muir having one save to make when he dived to his left to smother a Kev Smith shot in the second half. Our result v Stenny was poor but I felt worse after the game today? Against Stenny, we at least created chances and their keeper made numerous saved. Today we created nothing and when things weren't going for us we did little to change things - maybe our small squad and lack of options don't help. The game was crying out for the creativity and delivery of Lamont but he remained on the bench which asks the question - was he fit ?

In the past I was critical of Gary changing his formations game after game but this season I feel he is sticking with 4-2-3-1 no matter who we are playing but teams are now finding us predictable and can nullify our strengths. We've had a decent start but as we approach the end of the first quarter I worry that teams have now sussed us out unless we are able to change things at times. Another tough game next week at Stranraer.

I hate playing Queens under Gus cause they are always well organised, have a great team spirit, work ethic and are  difficult to break down especially if they go a goal up. Hopefully we can get back on the rails next week. Mon the Fife !

51 minutes ago, Bayviewboy said:

I hate playing Queens under Gus cause they are always well organised, have a great team spirit, work ethic and are  difficult to break down especially if they go a goal up.

Completely symphathise - sums up our last umpteen games v Albion Rovers, so good that we have you guys to help restore the balance. Unless Stenny panic-spend (and get lucky) then currently looking grim for them, and can't help thinking that Peterhead and Airdrie are both far too good to be involoved in the relegation play-offs, so if it boils down to a fight between QP and 'Fife for 8th & 9th places then hopefully Gus can continue to get the better of Naismith.

First game of the season for me yesterday. We were absolutely woeful, Queens weren't exactly all over us but more than deserved their win. Neither keeper was pushed into a save of any note. Clear deflection for the goal. I just don't understand the way we set up, Insall is so isolated, and our plan seemed to be to give the ball to Kev Smith and hope he does something special.

Special mention for the ref who, despite not favouring any side, put in an absolutely dismal display. Looked like he had no idea what he was doing.

Thoroughly deserved to win. Played with a purpose and confidence and could have pumped them if we'd been a wee bit more composed in the final third. 

Pleased to see Malone starting and hoping gets a run of games. Hideously unlucky when his goal bound effort hit Woods. Gets himself into good areas and I'm sure he'll score some goals.

Thought Zanatta looked class at times. Hoping we can keep hold of him for a while longer. Everyone put in a really good shift. Enjoyed the game and pleased for the lads after what's been a tough few weeks.

Airdrie away next week and it looks like we couldn't have picked a better time to play them. 

A huge 3 points for us and the best we've played since the Morton game imo. Deserved win but I thought once again our goalscoring flaws were going to come back to bite us in the arse. We missed quite a few opportunities to kill the game off with either shots off target or choosing the wrong pass. Not sure how Malone failed to score. That one he hit off Woods was incredible ( apparently his effort was going wide so nearly a fine intervention from Woods) We got some luck for the goal but after recent weeks I'll take it without apology. Good to see Fotheringham getting some reward for being more direct. Miller also unlucky with the free kick that hit the bar and Hurst produced a good save from Brady's curling effort towards the end. Zanatta was great in the first half. Absolute quality meg on their defender. Shame his loan is over just as he was settling in.

Farcical moment from the stadium announcer when he told us all that Woods had been subbed, then a few minutes later corrected himself by telling us it was actually Cummins. Unfortunately for him both players were still on the park! At least he had the commonsense to just give up after that

Archived