Queen's Park v East Fife

Highlights up. Sorry an86, two sitters missed by Malone imho. It was a great overall performance though but we got an awful lot of room in the middle that we don't normally get and as Mick1867 says the performance masked our fundamental flaw quite a bit. Fair play to Gus though, clearly shaping the team for attack and right from the go midfielders were having a pop. Hopefully the win will give the guys the confidence to kick on. 

As for the 'fluky goal', I'm reminded of one of Bob Paisley's great quotes;  "If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." 

First off, thanks to the EF fans for joining in the applause in tribute to one of our veteran fans.  The family made comment on that.

A deserved win and it could, and should, have been more.  Malone took a right battering, but kept plugging away.  He's been a great signing.  Woods is pretty much back on song and you can see the difference he makes when he is.  Miller...it's a treat to watch his dead ball stuff.  Add in the shut out and it was a good day at the office.  After 5 defeats in a row, it was imperative we got back to winning ways.  First win (and goal) in the new strips, I believe.

I have to agree that the ref seemed to be in a world of his own at times.  However, EF only have themselves to blame for daft backchat-related bookings.

It could and should have been more goals if some in the team would pass to others in a better position rather than try a shot themselves when they are not in as good a position. Highlights don't show all but there were at least 4 occasions on Saturday whereby some were having shots when it was clear they should have passed to others in better positions, little greedy IMO. Few I can think of, Zanatta (who I think took a pass in the first half in the box that was meant for Woods), Miller, Malone and Brady near the end. I understand everyone is eager to score but it would have been more than 1-0 if some would have a look and pass to others in better positions.

Felt the setup was way better, Zanatta does seem better out in the wing. McLeish was brillant IMO. Woods makes a clear difference to the team and hardly ever puts a foot wrong. Need to get him more on the ball and see if he can get scoring again, top scorer last 2 seasons. There were 2 or maybe even 3 times one Saturday whereby he was in a clearly better position than some players yet they were taken the shot themselves.

Agree, good confidence boost to the team. Oh, also thought Brady looked good when he came on. Many in the team on their game on Saturday!

On 17/10/2016 at 12:43, Hampden Diehard said:

First win (and goal) in the new strips, I believe.

Eh.. naw. We beat Livingston and Morton wearing them, and also scored against Alloa. What you on? 

1 hour ago, AllanM said:

It could and should have been more goals if some in the team would pass to others in a better position rather than try a shot themselves when they are not in as good a position. Highlights don't show all but there were at least 4 occasions on Saturday whereby some were having shots when it was clear they should have passed to others in better positions, little greedy IMO. Few I can think of, Zanatta (who I think took a pass in the first half in the box that was meant for Woods), Miller, Malone and Brady near the end. I understand everyone is eager to score but it would have been more than 1-0 if some would have a look and pass to others in better positions.

Agree with this. I'm sure Gus will be stressing the need to be better with the final ball and if he can get that through to the players, I'm hopeful that the rewards will be there for us. I hope he goes with the same eleven, forced changes aside, and just asks for the same again with a wee bit more care in the final third. We rarely get a result against Airdrie, despite performing reasonably well against them. Our only win against this edition of Airdrie was in a 2012 Challenge Cup match. Confidence is low, they are leaking goals, talk of Gordon Dalziel in some sort of role, fans not too happy. Couldn't really pick a better time to play them, but we've all watched enough football to know that it's not as simple as that to get a result.

Archived