Scotland squad next month

Aye McGregor was pretty good for Scotland over the years, but he appears to be finished now. Been injured since the tail end of last season, 35 in January and probably gonna be 3rd choice for Hull. Don't think we'll see him playing for Scotland again.

Aye McGregor looks like he's finished now. Brilliant goalie in his day. It's a shame Gordon was as unlucky with injuries as he was as well.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

At the moment I'm not too sure what formation we should be playing (would like to try a five at the back although I'm not sure how it would work out) so I find it difficult to nail down certain starters. However, as much as Paterson may have potential he hasn't looked anywhere near ready. Ritchie has seldom performed apart from against Malta and as much as I like Snodgrass he's had three games since coming back from injury and the only game he has shown anything in was also against Malta. Robertson in particular and Griffiths I agree should probably be starting but Burke needs to work on parts of his game.

There is one common factor in all these poor performances I've mentioned though, if a new manager comes in and has a few games I'd find it easier to build a team.

Cheers for that mate. I agree with you on the recent perfomance levels of the group "certain starters" I put together and that it will be easier when a formation is found. Especially the use of Snodgrass today completely baffles me. Strachan has taken a technically gifted (for our standards) player, coming back fae loads of injuries and stuck him on the left wing. No playmaker role drifting into the middle, instead he's told to be the winger to run in behind their right back? He hasn't got the pace to do that, how much more can you waste him?

11 hours ago, Dominique Malonga said:

Paterson is out of his depth at international level. The boy has potential but he's not ready to be our first choice right back imo.

I agree. And I'm a jambo. Paterson is fine going forward. A goal threat at corners & his long throw is more than useful. Afraid to say as a defender he's way short of International Class at this point in time.  Not mobile/quick enough over the first few yards & gets caught out by wide men in domestic football let alone at international level.

I would quite like to see if Souttar & Paterson could maybe be a partnership in the middle. To me Paterson has the attributes to be a commanding centre half with a real goal threat on the odd occasion Scotland actually manage to win a corner :)

Neither of them are anywhere near the finished article and  there is also Cooper from Leeds to try. We really don't have any great centre backs to call on. Time to look to the future i think.

33 minutes ago, Cov_Doonhamer said:

We should do all we can to get Caulker into the squad, our central defenders are that useless. I can't believe it's come to wanting Berra back into the side.

Steven Caulker?

Think he has 1 full cap already for england although im not sure if it was a friendly, think the rules provide for him changing his mind since its not a competitive cap.

Probably clutching at straws but ive no faith in that defence. Miss Davie Weir tbh...

4 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Steven Caulker?

Think he has 1 full cap already for england although im not sure if it was a friendly, think the rules provide for him changing his mind since its not a competitive cap.

Probably clutching at straws but ive no faith in that defence. Miss Davie Weir tbh...

Yep, controversial I know but I'd take anyone at the moment! It was a friendly he played for England, there were rumours about Strachan trying for him a while back.

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

Is there a group of players we all agree should be starting for Scotland? If we're trying to combine short and long term surely the following would be in everyones starting XI

Robertson, Paterson, Burke, Ritchie, Griffiths and Snodgrass.

That's six out of ten (excluding GK) starting spots covered already, someone disagree? Add to that Hanley and Martin, who we simply don't have replacements for and you're two central midfielders out for a first team.

Then for the squad you add the youngsters McKay, Kingsley, McGinn, Tierney and Hamilton. Next Anya, Morrison, Bannan, McArthur, Marshall and all your other standards in aswell and the squad has basically made itself.

Most importantly, get yer Fletchers, Chris Martin and all the other lumbering, zero pace clowns away fae that national team.

Any disagreements here?

Yes, because it's pace up front that will change our fortunes......

best way to play now would be Griffiths partnering Fletcher and playing a high pressing game, like what Lithuania done to us on Saturday.

The obsession Strachan has for a lone striker has cost us, it's never worked.

rash changes in personnel don't need to be made, there's not much better out there at the minute than what was in this squad, the only omission being McCormack.

Tactics and the style of play must change, if Strachan is unwilling to do that then he can jog on.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

Very good. Every keeper makes howlers - though that one was high profile (and for my money Janko is equally culpable).

Bit facetious, I know, but he's at best, a back-up for us now. 

Might look Championship new blood player centre back, midfielder and winger  for eligible Zak Jules, Dominic Hyam and Steve Caulker, Jojo Shelvey, Josh McEachran and Jamie Paterson

Every other nation does it, why shouldn't we? Oh I forgot we're in the dark ages.

6 hours ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

Might look Championship new blood player centre back, midfielder and winger  for eligible Zak Jules, Dominic Hyam and Steve Caulker, Jojo Shelvey, Josh McEachran and Jamie Paterson

Zak Jules has never played a first team game in his career, Dominic Hyam is unable to get on the bench in League Two at 20, Shelvey has played for England in competitive games, Paterson is a bog-standard bottom end Championship player and McEachran has previously refused to switch to Scotland in addition to being absolutely shite. Otherwise, good post.

Gordon is still excellent and, crucially, a much better communicator than Marshall.

He is? Why did he get dropped from Celtic earlier in the season then?

9 hours ago, Lex said:

He is? Why did he get dropped from Celtic earlier in the season then?

Well, because the new Celtic manager had a preconceived notion of how he wanted his team to play - goalplayer vs goalkeeper and all that soon-to-be-trite shit.

And to finish your story for you, De Vries has since been dropped for a series of highly unconvincing displays and Gordon is, rightly, number 1 again. Rodgers knows he made a mistake.

Because of his long lay off and a handful of mistakes since his comeback, Gordon has lost that air of invincibility he had in his 20s, but I honestly think it is all about perception. Aye, he can and will make mistakes, but he's generally still an all round better keeper than Marshall or McGregor.

Archived