foreign manager next please

pub car king

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with 'going foreign' is that when you remove emotion - as you do by going for a non-Scot - you are left with the bare facts that the Scotland job is a low paid (compared to the jobs that decent managers will want), extremely difficult, crap job. It's also extremely difficult to advance your career with, even if you do well (which is very unlikely given our current talent pool and what appears to be coming through), it's going to take you about 3-4 years to actually achieve anything (2020 Euros is probably our most realistic shot) and a lot of managers wont be prepared to wait around that long, so you also lose a bit of the 'stepping stone to something better' selling point to good managers aswell.

So you are left fishing in the market for Trapattoni (not anymore obviously, but using him as an example) Hiddink and Capello types, guys who used to be good managers, could maybe still do a job but you'd have to pay a ridiculous wage to find out. I'm not sure why people are discussing foreign or not foreign, it should just be a case of the best person who is available for the job that we can afford, wherever they are from. I think someone in the Michael O'Neill mould (I don't literally mean him, just to clarify) is our best bet, a guy who has shown he can get limited players to play above themselves, and someone who would be available and affordable. If you are asking who that is, then I have no idea. But then it's not my job to find out.

22 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The problem with 'going foreign' is that when you remove emotion - as you do by going for a non-Scot - you are left with the bare facts that the Scotland job is a low paid (compared to the jobs that decent managers will want), extremely difficult, crap job. It's also extremely difficult to advance your career with, even if you do well (which is very unlikely given our current talent pool and what appears to be coming through), it's going to take you about 3-4 years to actually achieve anything (2020 Euros is probably our most realistic shot) and a lot of managers wont be prepared to wait around that long, so you also lose a bit of the 'stepping stone to something better' selling point to good managers aswell.

So you are left fishing in the market for Trapattoni (not anymore obviously, but using him as an example) Hiddink and Capello types, guys who used to be good managers, could maybe still do a job but you'd have to pay a ridiculous wage to find out. I'm not sure why people are discussing foreign or not foreign, it should just be a case of the best person who is available for the job that we can afford, wherever they are from. I think someone in the Michael O'Neill mould (I don't literally mean him, just to clarify) is our best bet, a guy who has shown he can get limited players to play above themselves, and someone who would be available and affordable. If you are asking who that is, then I have no idea. But then it's not my job to find out.

Why bother looking then, eh? 

This really isn't a situation where we present a scenario for managers to work under......in my opinion, we need to learn, properly, how to play football. We desperately need to actually put a stop to the Wotte type of post, and actually invest in a man with the power to make decisions, and in charge of all aspects of the team....not just there to slag off diets and drinking habits. A managers first job is to essentially get the best out of the players available....whether its Germany, Colombia or Scotland. No ones ever going to want it if you undersell it, but its a clear vision and proper understanding we need, not just another lazy appointment. Rafa Benitez wouldn't have been a bad shout if he left Newcastle. 

23 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm not sure why people are discussing foreign or not foreign, it should just be a case of the best person who is available for the job that we can afford, wherever they are from. 

I agree with the basic principle here, but I think some people (and I'm one of them) are inclined to press for a foreign appointment in response to the fact that those who top bookies' lists tend to be Scottish and depressing.  Throw in the fact that there's a belief - fallacious or otherwise - that the SFA are not inclined to look beyond these shores and you can see why some of us call for it.

Another irritation is that Vogts gets cited as a reason why we daren't look abroad, while any such logic would surely insist we should never, ever go Scottish again.

Archived