Changing football teams

Has anybody had the experience of changing there football team? Or has anybody ever convinced there pals to part ways and follow there local football team or somebody else?

I'm originally from Irvine and now stay in Paisley and use to support Celtic all the way up till I was 18, I held season tickets and all sorts until one day I went f**k this I can't be bothered supporting a team I have no real connection with and all the extreme politics in the support and just got sick hearing about it and eventually got to the stage of hating them and most of the support because it's actually not about football.

I started following St Mirren when I was 20, my local team and one of my local teams back in Irvine anyway and haven't looked back, it's great to support somebody on your door step and the actual excitement you get winning the odd game as you aren't use to it opposed to winning everything and getting into all sorts of shite nothing to do with football.

I know a few stories of people taking there friends to there local teams and actually converting them from the old firm and it's actually brilliant and hope it continues before people get far too wrapped up in the old firm carry on.

So anybody got any stories to tell?

4 minutes ago, HardcoreVibes said:

Has anybody had the experience of changing there football team? Or has anybody ever convinced there pals to part ways and follow there local football team or somebody else?

I'm originally from Irvine and now stay in Paisley and use to support Celtic all the way up till I was 18, I held season tickets and all sorts until one day I went f**k this I can't be bothered supporting a team I have no real connection with and all the extreme politics in the support and just got sick hearing about it and eventually got to the stage of hating them and most of the support because it's actually not about football.

I started following St Mirren when I was 20, my local team and one of my local teams back in Irvine anyway and haven't looked back, it's great to support somebody on your door step and the actual excitement you get winning the odd game as you aren't use to it opposed to winning everything and getting into all sorts of shite nothing to do with football.

I know a few stories of people taking there friends to there local teams and actually converting them from the old firm and it's actually brilliant and hope it continues before people get far too wrapped up in the old firm carry on.

So anybody got any stories to tell?

One of my mates had a season ticket at Cappielow for 14 years then decided 2 years ago he wanted to support Sevco and goes most weeks. Utter fanny.

4 minutes ago, Wren Road said:

If you don't mind sharing, what were his reasons? 14 years is a long time to just switch. Was it political? Does he hate millions lol

I'm guessing he was sick of never winning any silverware.  Oh, wait...

1 minute ago, Wren Road said:

If you don't mind sharing, what were his reasons? 14 years is a long time to just switch. Was it political? Does he hate millions lol

I don't really know in all honesty. Got a bit fed up at lack of ambition and being almost a yoyo club but aren't we all? I'd never turn my back on my team regardless of where they are. Things like the league cup semi-final make up for a lot of the suffering. 

I never thought he'd choose Sevco over Morton but he was in the home end at Ibrox and away end at Cappielow when the sides met 4 times last year. Safe to say I enjoyed getting it right up him along with the rest of our support when McCluskey put us 2-1 up at Ibrox.

I know 3 lads born and bred in Inverness who used to go to all the ICT home games and a good number of away games and as soon as we got promoted to the SPL in 2004 they started going down to Ibrox most weeks, and sit in the away end when they play us at the TCS.

I will add that I still occasionally see one of them about, and of course, he's obese and has a blue collar job, stacking shelves in Tesco.