Changing football teams

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 07:38, Acrapplied said:

I've lived in Ayr my whole life but my dad is a Kilmarnock supporter. I went to Killie from 2005-2016.

After a lot of soul searching over literally the last few years, I decided to start supporting my local team, Ayr United in the summer. Bought a season ticket. Best decision I have ever made. Feels right.

If you ever fancy popping back to look at some trophies and hear tales of success then you're more than welcome, (as long as you go through quarantine first obviously).

ETA: What did your Dad say when you came out to him?

Edited by killienick

I changed from Arbroath to Hibs to Dundee United to Celtic to Rangers to Dundee to Motherwell to a Liverpool to Ireland to Partick Thistle and back to Arbroath and all that just in the space of last weekend.  Dont see the big deal, tbh.  

Well played. [emoji1]

Must be strange for guys that might not be from a town/city that has a team actually. Never thought of it that way.   ETA: I mean a proper, senior football club by the way none of this junior nonsense.

Ruined it. [emoji867] 

On 17/02/2017 at 12:55, JakeSAFC said:

Anyway when I was a lot younger I liked Celtic

I'd been wondering why your every post has some mention of the dirty Mongol hordes  :lol:

Gerard Butler was “in tears” watching Celtic beat Barcelona

By Claire McKim -
April 5, 2013

HOLLYWOOD hardman Gerard Butler has revealed he was “in tears” watching Celtic beat Barcelona in last year’s Champion’s League qualifier.

Paisley-born Butler, 43, famed for testosterone-fuelled roles in 300 and Law Abiding Citizen, also described playing for the Glasgow team in a charity match last year as the “high point of my life.”

The actor, who splits his time living in America and the UK, said he was on business in Dubai when Celtic beat the legendary Barcelona 2-1 in their Champions League match in November last year.

Butler claims it will be difficult to please Scots with a movie about Robert Burns

He said: “I was actually in Dubai, I was doing some work in Dubai and I was with all these big company dudes, we all went to dinner and I literally had them all leave.“The game was just incredible, I was in tears at the end, and I wasn’t the only one apparently – Rod Stewart – but at least I wasn’t filmed!”

Butler was in Glasgow in 2011 to play for Celtic Legends in a charity match against Manchester United Legends and said sharing a pitch with players such as Henrik Larsson and Neil Lennon was the best moment of his life.

He said: “I was asked to play, not because of my talent, but because of my fame!

“I have now done about 100 premiers but that was the high point of my life. My whole family came down and my friends were telling me it was the best game they had been to. Roy Keane was on the field, he made it look so easy!”.

Despite being a hard-core Celtic fan and regularly jetting from his LA home to watch his beloved team play, Butler admitted he had not always supported the top-of-the-league side.

He said: “I spent the first eight years of my life supporting St.Mirren who are the Paisley team, but then when I was about eight, I decided to get a life of my own and break away from my older brother. Then I starting supporting Celtic which I have to admit was a much more fun prospect.”

Butler said receiving a phone call from his cousin’s friend Kenny Dalglish when he was 13-years-old was his top childhood memory.

He said: “I grew up on a council estate and the fact that my cousin even knew him was a huge deal. I was sitting watching the television and my mum came running in. I thought it was a wind up, that was very bizarre but very cool of him to do that.”

During the interview, on talkSport radio yesterday (Thursday), Butler said he had enjoyed hanging out with David Beckham when he was playing for LA Galaxy.

He said: “I went to his last game, I hung out with David a few times, and he’s a great guy.”

He said he thought the former Manchester United player could have a future as a film actor. “I think he could, he looks more like a movie star!”

Butler also spoke of fellow Celtic fan Snoop Doggy Dog, saying: “I have a photo of him with a Celtic top on now!”

He ended the interview, shouting: “Come on you Celts!”

Born in Paisley in 1969, Butler spent some time in Canada as a youth and landed a small part in James Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies before his breakthrough role in TV series Attila in 2001.

The actor divides his time between Los Angeles, New York and London and was voted one of Empire Magazine’s 100 sexiest stars in 2007.

Probably the most famous turncoat?

What a absolute w@nk. Tom Hardy would kick his c'nt in.

I used to really like English football and watched religiously the big champions league nights.  Now I can't fucking stand it, shoved down your throats day to day and also realise how much it's fucking/fucked up Scottish football too. 

On 10/11/2016 at 19:10, HardcoreVibes said:

Has anybody had the experience of changing there football team? Or has anybody ever convinced there pals to part ways and follow there local football team or somebody else?

I'm originally from Irvine and now stay in Paisley and use to support Celtic all the way up till I was 18, I held season tickets and all sorts until one day I went f**k this I can't be bothered supporting a team I have no real connection with and all the extreme politics in the support and just got sick hearing about it and eventually got to the stage of hating them and most of the support because it's actually not about football.

I started following St Mirren when I was 20, my local team and one of my local teams back in Irvine anyway and haven't looked back, it's great to support somebody on your door step and the actual excitement you get winning the odd game as you aren't use to it opposed to winning everything and getting into all sorts of shite nothing to do with football.

I know a few stories of people taking there friends to there local teams and actually converting them from the old firm and it's actually brilliant and hope it continues before people get far too wrapped up in the old firm carry on.

So anybody got any stories to tell?

Grew up in dennistoun in Glasgow. Celtic are my local team and my whole family support them. Was lucky enough to have a season ticket for Parkhead since they rebuilt it and was a regular at Hampden the few seasons previous, so I was going since I was around 7 and everything in my room was green and white. I still have the majority of my old strips from when I was a boy. Went to every game at Parkhead for about a decade with my dad but as time went on it became less about the football and more about politics where I was sitting. My season ticket was bang in the middle of where the Green Brigade are now so you can see why I was turned off. 

I eventually chucked it because funnily enough I have no interest in fucking the Queen and have no love for the IRA, which was all the rage where I sat. A few years later a friend convinced me to go to Broadwood one weekend. Horrendous game of football against a newly promoted Thistle. I enjoyed the experience and a few weeks later found myself back at Broadwood. Fast forward a few months and having been to numerous games I found myself checking the scores when I couldn't make it. It was one afternoon away to Queen of the South when it dawned on me that this is my team. Screaming like a maniac when Albertz scored with his first free kick away to Stirling is something that a young Toma the Tim would struggle to understand!

I have been to parkhead a few times since. Only because the wee man is fascinated by Celtic park and they are his local team. He doesn't like trains very much and I don't drive, so getting him to Broadwood is difficult. However I'm certain he'll be converted in due course. 

I had to laugh when a few friends of mine claimed I couldn't possibly be a true football fan if I changed teams. I politely reminded them that over the course of my lifetime I have been to more games than they have watched their team on the telly, so if they want to argue that point maybe they should attend a fucking match every so often.

The moral of the story is f**k the old firm. Toxic. 

Obviously that is aimed at the clubs and not the fans. For the most part the fans are normal people. I just couldn't accept the fact that I was amongst people who weren't interested in football. I was there to support the team, not sing about soldiers going home and Aidan McAnespie. 

Edit: My appearance at Broadwood ultimately started the clubs free fall down the divisions, so that's probably my fault. Sadly I hardly make it to a game these days, but I'm working towards fixing that. 

Edited by Toma_BullyWee

11 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He said: “I grew up on a council estate and the fact that my cousin even knew him was a huge deal. I was sitting watching the television and my mum came running in. I

Ralston a council estate. Away and don't talk shite you fucking cretin! :lol:

On 16/10/2016 at 13:31, Fullerene said:

What's the view if somebody moves to a new town.

For example, if a St Johnstone fan moves from Perth to Kilmarnock - should they start supporting Kilmarnock or continue with St Johnstone?

Meh!

On 10/11/2016 at 19:10, HardcoreVibes said:

Has anybody had the experience of changing there football team? Or has anybody ever convinced there pals to part ways and follow there local football team or somebody else?

I'm originally from Irvine and now stay in Paisley and use to support Celtic all the way up till I was 18, I held season tickets and all sorts until one day I went f**k this I can't be bothered supporting a team I have no real connection with and all the extreme politics in the support and just got sick hearing about it and eventually got to the stage of hating them and most of the support because it's actually not about football.

I started following St Mirren when I was 20, my local team and one of my local teams back in Irvine anyway and haven't looked back, it's great to support somebody on your door step and the actual excitement you get winning the odd game as you aren't use to it opposed to winning everything and getting into all sorts of shite nothing to do with football.

I know a few stories of people taking there friends to there local teams and actually converting them from the old firm and it's actually brilliant and hope it continues before people get far too wrapped up in the old firm carry on.

So anybody got any stories to tell?

from irvine and supported Celtic. 

fucking bigot

• 1 year later...

Went the Juniors on and off for over 50 years. After hearing Penny Arcade for the 1000th time in various Junior social clubs from South East Ayrshire to rural Aberdeenshire i thought eff this. Got fed up asking why Billy, Alex, Rab and Colin weren't at the game, eh Ibrox brother wink wink. Still go to the Juniors but my real team is "The Rangers" and I now know all the words now to Penny Arcade.

6 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Went the Juniors on and off for over 50 years. After hearing Penny Arcade for the 1000th time in various Junior social clubs from South East Ayrshire to rural Aberdeenshire i thought eff this. Got fed up asking why Billy, Alex, Rab and Colin weren't at the game, eh Ibrox brother wink wink. Still go to the Juniors but my real team is "The Rangers" and I now know all the words now to Penny Arcade.

The Penny Arcade!?