Changing football teams

Born into a Aberdeen supporting family, taken to Pittodrie as a kid, kits ever year. My one and only love.

Saying that though if Aberdeen were away I'd go to a occasional Fraserburgh game if they were at home, the broch being my home town, but never really got excited about them, never the same feeling about going to watch them over than going to pittodrie.

Since moving to Australia, I still follow the Dons(red TV), but after 13 years I'm starting to go to Perth Glory games with the intention of taking my son to them next year when he's old enough to go as they are his local prem team to get him interested in the sport.

Since moving to Australia, I still follow the Dons(red TV), but after 13 years I'm starting to go to Perth Glory games with the intention of taking my son to them next year when he's old enough to go as they are his local prem team to get him interested in the sport.

Suppose you can be called a Glory hunter and it's not really an insult eh

My mate was a Rangers supporter until liquidation. He now follows Queen of the South. His reason? Not the same club anymore. 8) I think he's enjoying being a fan of a smaller club - more excitement and a feeling of belonging maybe. 

He was even laughing at Hibs winning the cup against them (sevco) in May.

Edited by Falcor Roar

A laddie who was a couple of years below me at school, went home and away with Hibs. Actually had his season ticket next to me for a while.

Next thing he declares he's a Rangers fan, has a season ticket for Ibrox and joined one of the lodges & now plays an instrument in their marches :lol:

Absolute nutjob.

To my shame, I actually flirted with being a Hearts fan when I was 10/11. Whole family are Hibs fans and where I lived, there was always loads of Hearts fans about compared to Hibs and the vast majority of my mates were Hearts fans. Plus I started rebelling against my dad because he's a p***k.

Thankfully that week or 2 passed me by, sure it was around the time Hibs beat Rangers (RIP) in the CIS semi on penalties.

Wouldn't say I changed teams as such. I had a season ticket for Celtic from 1994 through until the end of the 2001/02 season, missed maybe a handful of home games up to the final season, but due to a change in job and the shifts I was working I couldn't get to most games which was why I gave it up. At the same time as that I would still go and watch the occasional Bankies match provided there was no clash with Celtic playing, generally only 4 or 5 a season mind you.

When the Bankies reformed in 2003 it coincided with me moving back to Clydebank and changing jobs again, and with everything that was going on there I found it more appealing at the time than going back to watch Celtic, mostly because I was growing a bit tired with the arrogance that was creeping into the fan base after the initial success under Martin O'Neill. Ended up going to watch Clydebank home and away most weeks, but still went to watch Celtic occasionally, pretty much a direct reversal of my situation before. That stayed the case up until I left Scotland.

The only reason to change the club you support is when you're brought up as an old Firm fan but then reach the stage of thinking for yourself, seeing the reality of what they are, deciding you're not a sectarian apologist and start supporting a nearby club that's there for football. If you don't, it shows you're just the bigoted, glory hunting c**t you pretend not to be.

On 10/19/2016 at 09:11, Falcor Roar said:

My mate was a Rangers supporter until liquidation. He now follows Queen of the South. His reason? Not the same club anymore. 8) I think he's enjoying being a fan of a smaller club - more excitement and a feeling of belonging maybe. 

He was even laughing at Hibs winning the cup against them (sevco) in May.

These are the ideal circumstances for an acceptable switch.

Textbook.

39 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Textbook.

I'll let him know you think that, he'll be delighted. We still wind him up about it but I don't think he cares. 

He has probably been to more QOS games in the last 4 years than Rangers games in the previous 20. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Textbook.

Another textbook example. Hundreds/ thousands of fans switched from Wimbledon to MK Dons (by force) and to AFC Wimbledon.

Then there are the other "Sevconian", i.e. dead club to new club, examples

Airdrieonians to Clydebank (aka Airdrie United), now known as Airdrieonians

Gretna to Gretna 2008.

Maidstone United to Maidstone United

Aldershot FC- to Aldershot Town

Chester City to Chester FC

Another textbook example. Hundreds/ thousands of fans switched from Wimbledon to MK Dons (by force) and to AFC Wimbledon.

Then there are the other "Sevconian", i.e. dead club to new club, examples

Airdrieonians to Clydebank (aka Airdrie United), now known as Airdrieonians

Gretna to Gretna 2008.

Maidstone United to Maidstone United

Aldershot FC- to Aldershot Town

Chester City to Chester FC

I remember reading at the time MK Dons came around that they were busing Wimbledon fans up to Milton Keynes for the game. Apparently bit caused massive fallouts between football fans.

Was a Rangers fan as a kid due to where I lived being very, very heavily that way inclined. Gradually as I got older I grew to loathe them and felt embarrassed with all the shit that goes with supporting either of the OF teams. Accies were always close to me due to being my local team and who my papa supported, and the balance shifted until eventually Accies were all that mattered and Rangers could gtf.

The old fella was exceptionally proud that he got me in the end :lol: