Windows 10 Update = PC Now Useless

Needing some help here, as this is probably the last resort before I take a 3 iron to my pc and buy a Mac.

A couple of weeks back Microsoft applied a critical update to Windows 10, which until then had been fine. After it, I can barely connect to the Internet - I had both Firefox and Opera installed. Following the update Opera became unusable and any attempts at loading pages were refused, Firefox loads Google but clicking any resulting links or entering Web addresses simply results in the page either taking 3 minutes to load, or "your connection has timed out".

I've tried the following :

- Soft reset of windows

- Reinstalled Java

- Reinstalled Flash Player

- Winding down the windows and turning up the heaters full blast

- Swearing profusely

- random threats of violence at inanimate objects

- Reinstalling both browsers

I'd rather not cross to the dark side as it will cost a fucking fortune. Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Only advice I can offer is that a pitching wedge will offer similar destruction from a shorter club thus minimising the risk of accidental property damage. You dont really need the distance hitting properties of the longer iron in this case.

Hope that helps.

(Dont know anything about that other stuff you said)

TBH my old 1 iron might be more appropriate. It's f**k all use for anything else.

7 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I'd rather not cross to the dark side as it will cost a fucking fortune. Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Just do it! Those of us who have been using Macs for years remember the great fanfare when Windows 95 came along. It was similar to Mac 84.

I've dabbled with PC's over the years, mostly through work but I find them a f*ckin nightmare. I realise there are some who through some sort of inverse snobbery don't like Macs but each to their own.

FWIW I am about to put a 21.5 inch IMac on eBay:whistle

A quick update and more questions.

Got pissed off and did a full windows reinstall. Hilariously the problem remains. It now seems to follow a pattern of:

- Switch on PC

- Access internet

- Loads a page or two

- Stops working on both Firefox and Opera

- Have to restart PC

- Rinse/Repeat

My question is thus: In the Windows 10 Network Options, it seems to default to "Automatically Detect Settings" in the Proxy tab. Is using a Proxy the issue, and if so, why the f**k has Windows 10 started defaulting to this?

When you reinstalled windows did you wipe the drive too? Also, theres a good chance that by doing a reinstall, Windows has updated itself to the newer version that was causing the problems.

Its a bit late now (sorry!) but you'd have been better off trying to roll back the windows version. I had to do that at the weekend as the anniversary updated borked my machine. <_<

When you reinstalled windows did you wipe the drive too? Also, theres a good chance that by doing a reinstall, Windows has updated itself to the newer version that was causing the problems.

Its a bit late now (sorry!) but you'd have been better off trying to roll back the windows version. I had to do that at the weekend as the anniversary updated borked my machine. <_>

No. The first time was just a reset without wiping the drives, still had the same issue.

The only solution so far appears to either restart the machine every 10 minutes or reset the TCP/IP stack frequently.

Both are a pain in the arse. I've pretty much decided to buy a Mac Mini on payday. Thoroughly scunnered with Microsoft and their sub standard shite.

No. The first time was just a reset without wiping the drives, still had the same issue.

The only solution so far appears to either restart the machine every 10 minutes or reset the TCP/IP stack frequently.

Both are a pain in the arse. I've pretty much decided to buy a Mac Mini on payday. Thoroughly scunnered with Microsoft and their sub standard shite.

As a previous poster said, try a version of Linux. There are loads of guides on how to shove it onto a bootable usb stick. You can run it off that to try it out before installing anything.

• 5 months later...

Everyone's a comedian on this site I see [emoji53]
I obviously tried Google but none of the fixes worked plus not totally tech savvy so didn't understand most of it.
Just wanted to see if anyone on here experienced it and has maybe fixed it

23 hours ago, SpiderDee said:

Everyone's a comedian on this site I see emoji53.png
I obviously tried Google but none of the fixes worked plus not totally tech savvy so didn't understand most of it.
Just wanted to see if anyone on here experienced it and has maybe fixed it

Apologies, but the amount of folk I know who haven't tried a Google search or went onto Youtube to try and resolve their issues before asking anyone else is almost the norm.

Have you tried to boot into safe mode from the initial boot up? sometimes this helps to resolve issues if the PC/Laptop was installing a critical update but wasn't powered down properly before the update was installed. This leads to Windows OS's being hung up or stuck on the next boot up. It's even possible that the update did not install properly either and is in conflict with one other program at the time of install and has corrupted the file execution.

A system restore if you can get to the option could also help by rolling back before the update was installed but will install what caused the problem in the first place so make sure all programs are closed when attempting the update again at a later point.

13 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

Apologies, but the amount of folk I know who haven't tried a Google search or went onto Youtube to try and resolve their issues before asking anyone else is almost the norm.

Have you tried to boot into safe mode from the initial boot up? sometimes this helps to resolve issues if the PC/Laptop was installing a critical update but wasn't powered down properly before the update was installed. This leads to Windows OS's being hung up or stuck on the next boot up. It's even possible that the update did not install properly either and is in conflict with one other program at the time of install and has corrupted the file execution.

A system restore if you can get to the option could also help by rolling back before the update was installed but will install what caused the problem in the first place so make sure all programs are closed when attempting the update again at a later point.

Cheers man - I'm going to have another bash at it tonight - left it a few days as it was driving me nuts !

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried updating the driver for your wifi adaptor (assuming you connect via wifi.   I had a similar problem after I upgraded to windows 10 initially which was fixed by downloading up and installing updated drivers.  

You need to identify what sort of wifi adaptor you have.  Easiest way is to right click on the windows icon and run msinfo32   That will tell you the make and model of every component in your PC and the current driver version it is using.  Generally you can then go to the manufacturer's site and see if there is a later version.

Archived