2017 Holiday/Travel Plans

Mitch

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off to Washington DC at the start of April to show kids what passes for history in this country. But more excited about our summer road trip that we've been putting some detail around. The missus has family out in Western Montana so we'll be driving out there in July, taking our time and notching up five new states (North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and South Dakota) in the process. No dead presidents in that neck of the woods, but we'll collect a few of them next month. Looking forward to Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore and also traveling through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan which I shamefully haven't done in the five years I've been here. 4,000 mile round trip.

On 17/02/2017 at 00:36, welshbairn said:

All sounds good but Beauly? A fucking week in Beauly? Do you have any idea what you've done?

It's not in Beauly itself thankfully. It's a wee cottage a few miles outside it. I needed to be relatively close to Inverness (i'm doing the Loch Ness Etape cycle event from there) but also fairly close to Glen Affric for the hills in that area. I'll just need to nip in and out to a shop once or twice. Hopefully i'll survive :lol:

10 hours ago, afca32 said:

West Highland Way in May.

West Highland Way in April for myself a few of the other County guys on here. First time for me.

On 3/2/2017 at 23:36, Heart of Northern said:

Flying with Norwegian airlines apparently.

I've flown Norwegian plenty of times Gatwick to Stavanger and Gatwick to Arlanda.  Auld planes and auld wifes but an excellent service for the money

Booked flights to go to Italy in August, 12 nights starting in Rome and ending up in Venice, not entirely sure where we are going in between so any recommendations would be lovely!

Booked flights to go to Italy in August, 12 nights starting in Rome and ending up in Venice, not entirely sure where we are going in between so any recommendations would be lovely!

Florence for culture...Lido de Jesolo for nightlife

57 minutes ago, throbber said:

We will definitely go to Florence but apart from that nowhere else is confirmed. Want somewhere quiet and by the seaside for a few days after Rome I think.

Have you booked a hotel in Rome? If not I'd suggest looking at one of the hill towns nearby, like Frascati, about 30 minutes by train from Rome. Rome can be boiling in the summer, and it's nice to get a coolish breeze after a day of walking around in the stifling heat. And they're more laid back with less tourists and cheaper restaurants.

On 06/03/2017 at 22:13, afca32 said:

3 trips to the west coast this year.

Usual week in cottage near Poolewe next month.

West Highland Way in May.

Stoer in July.

Reliant on good weather and minimal midges.

Can see this being a bit of an issue tbh :lol:

We will definitely go to Florence but apart from that nowhere else is confirmed. Want somewhere quiet and by the seaside for a few days after Rome I think.

Somewhere along the Amalfi Coast? Never been but heard a few good reports.

Bound to be scope to swing by Lake Garda, or Verona? Or indeed both. I finished a Euro trip a couple of years ago in Peschiera del Garda which was great after a few weeks on the road. 

Archived