2017 Holiday/Travel Plans

Mitch

16 hours ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Being in the oil industry my travel to Norway & Denmark is pretty much limited to the oil towns - Stavanger & Esjberg respectively.
My opinion on Stavanger is that it's an absolutely beautiful city with lots happening down the harbour area, people are very friendly and lots of interesting places to visit - both in the city & outside. A fjord boat-trip is well worth it, as is a visit to Pulpit Rock, I was lucky enough to be there during the annual food festival - was really great with all the bars offering special deals ( on food & drink), the temptation is always to visit the Capitol & not stray too far from ( in this case Oslo), but I'd definitely recommend Stavanger.
Denmark is also a fantastic country, small enough that you can pretty much drive anywhere in a day, again my experience of Ejsberg is that's it's a pretty little town, some lovely beaches (summer only ), nearby (30-40 min drive) is the original Legoland. The variety of places to eat & drink is much more limited than Stavanger or indeed Copenhagen but a lovely area nonetheless.
Hopefully get a chance to explore more of the Scandic countries at some point.
The prices are very high in both places!

Thanks for the comments. Agree regarding the temptation to just spend time in the capital. Hoping that 4 days in each place will mean we can do that and see a few other places.

The prices aren't too much of an issue, though Norway and Sweden are probably the only places in Europe more expensive than here. I'll just need to go with the cheap red wine and cheap beer when out and about...

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the comments. Agree regarding the temptation to just spend time in the capital. Hoping that 4 days in each place will mean we can do that and see a few other places.

The prices aren't too much of an issue, though Norway and Sweden are probably the only places in Europe more expensive than here. I'll just need to go with the cheap red wine and cheap beer when out and about...

Hope you have a good time, I'll look out for your posts on what you decided - future reference for me!

What's the best time of year to go to Iceland?  I really fancy it but not sure whether to go in summer or earlier.  Also, is it worth doing a fortnight or just a weekend?

Right in the middle of June, the sun doesn't even set it almost disappears then comes back up again.

You must be a lawyer or an accountant or something if you can afford 2 weeks in Iceland :lol:

I invested all my savings in Icelandic banks about ten years ago, haven't checked how they are doing in a while but I'll just use that money. Assume it will be fine :)

Spain's going to be expensive next year - 

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/briefing-price-increases-in-spain-thailands-full-moon-parties-and-an-italian-wine-fountain-hf8r37tn5

Fears are growing that holiday prices will rocket next summer after a leading British travel boss warned Spanish hoteliers not to hike rates. Tourism in the country has boomed, boosted by the perception of it as a safe destination: nearly 30% of overseas trips from the UK this summer were to Spain. Now, as tour operators negotiate contracts for next year, Spanish hoteliers are raising room rates. “Some have upped their prices by 15% to 20%,” warned Hugh Morgan, of Broadway Travel. “You might call that greedy.”

Adding in the effect of the recent devaluation of the Pound against the Euro, prices could rise by up to a third.

I think that I'll be heading back to Turkey.

• 1 month later...

Hoping to get away for a couple of months in March. Take advantage of my time away from uni. Looking at a 4 week indochina tour encompassing Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos then hopefully onto new Zealand where a good friend is currently living

Hoping to get away for a couple of months in March. Take advantage of my time away from uni. Looking at a 4 week indochina tour encompassing Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos then hopefully onto new Zealand where a good friend is currently living

That's me booked. Out to Bangkok start of March, 4 weeks on the tour the on to Sydney/Brisbane and finally onto New Zealand. Buzzing

On 12/6/2016 at 14:36, budmiester1 said:

Have finally been convinced by the better half to try and go to Japan. The more I look into it the more I really like the idea.

Go. It's amazing.

If you need any tips just ask. There's also a thread on here I think.

Archived