2017 Holiday/Travel Plans

Mitch

As 2016 comes to an end, I'm sure a number of people will have plans for 2017.

Not a huge amount yet but off to Lisbon in January with a group of lads for 3 days. Was cheap flight/cheap hotel that swayed the decision. Never been to Portugal so good to have it ticked off the list.

Off to Mexico next summer with the wife for a fortnight. Usual lying by the pool type of holiday.

We have just bought a new house, which will reduce our travel next year. Saying that, going to try and get back out to India for a break.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to Luxembourg in May for a long weekend, and will be in Chicago and thereabouts for a week or so in October.

No other foreign trips planned, but a weekend in Blackpool in April also appears to be on the cards. What a life.

7 nights in Mallorca in May with my Girlfriend, she doesnt know it yet, but Real Mallorca are at home on the Sunday after we arrive...... 

Planning a long weekend around the Lithuania Game in October of next year, and possibly a few trips around England. 

Just booked flight to Rome in late January for a week. Actually planning to take the train down to Naples and spend the majority of our time there. Plans will be the 5 Pompeii sites and a hike up Mount Vesuvius. Also seen that Napoli are at home that weekend to Palermo. So will add that in. 

Anyone here been to Naples before and advise on ideal sites and time to ideally see the cit/area?

15 minutes ago, atfccfc said:

Just booked flight to Rome in late January for a week. Actually planning to take the train down to Naples and spend the majority of our time there. Plans will be the 5 Pompeii sites and a hike up Mount Vesuvius. Also seen that Napoli are at home that weekend to Palermo. So will add that in. 

Anyone here been to Naples before and advise on ideal sites and time to ideally see the cit/area?

Travel Man is doing Naples this Friday so that should give you some ideas.

16 hours ago, atfccfc said:

Stay in Sorrento or somewhere else on the Amalfi Coast. Nice wee towns and to be honest in Naples I was on edge, especially at night. One of the few places I've been in Europe where I didn't really feel safe.

With that said, maybe that was just my experience. Vesuvius is well worth the trip to, as is Pompeii. If you have time take the ferry to Capri as well for the day. Not sure what it's like in January but it's a stunning place.

6 hours ago, S7C said:

Stay in Sorrento or somewhere else on the Amalfi Coast. Nice wee towns and to be honest in Naples I was on edge, especially at night. One of the few places I've been in Europe where I didn't really feel safe.

With that said, maybe that was just my experience. Vesuvius is well worth the trip to, as is Pompeii. If you have time take the ferry to Capri as well for the day. Not sure what it's like in January but it's a stunning place.

Cheers will look into it. We haven't settled on a plan yet. Just booked flights and apart from the obvious attractions haven't done too much research as of yet.

Always heard that Naples was an edgy city. But we like places that are a bit different. But we are always aware of safety. Cheers

Nothing booked yet but when I pay off the credit card next week I'll start looking. Thinking of seeing a bit of Scandinavia this year. 4 days in Norway, 4 days in Sweden and either 4 days in Finland or Denmark.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Other than that I expect to be back home a bit more than usual for various reasons, so unlikely to do too much traveling.

The missus is from Connecticut so the week between Christmas and New Year will be spent touring round New England, which we've done for the last couple of years and is great fun. Then in April we're heading out to DC and Gettysburg etc with the kids to see what passes for history in this country. Since moving here, I've chalked off 35 states and I'd like to get a couple more during the summer but the ones I've still to visit are getting further and further away. Closest at the moment is Arkansas. I don't think there's an awful lot to do in Arkansas.

Haven't really got anything planned. Might go for a few days somewhere cheap like Tenerife with a few friends at some point. I fancy Iceland, may make that our summer trip.

I'd also like to go to the USA, probably New York or California.

Other than a week in the med / Barcelona next June we have nothing planned. Just back from Center Parcs with our little one which worked well, but with another on the way early 2017 I'm not convinced we will get away together next year.

Currently booked up for;

Düsseldorf to see in 2017 for new year.

Warsaw for stag do in February.

Snowbombing in Mayrhofen in April.

Yet to book;
Somewhere further afield for a summer/beach holiday yet to be decided.

Also probably catch a Dortmund game or two, and Scotland game in Slovenia.

Talking about going to El Classico next year also.

Every year I say I'll cut down on holidays/trips, but it never happens.

I'm thinking about doing 2 weeks in Italy, think we will stay in the northern half, my gf wants to see Venice and Florence. Might arrive in one of the two or even Milan and then fly back from Rome, haven't done much research into it yet but if anyone has done similar then i would love to hear about it. 

Nothing booked yet but when I pay off the credit card next week I'll start looking. Thinking of seeing a bit of Scandinavia this year. 4 days in Norway, 4 days in Sweden and either 4 days in Finland or Denmark.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Other than that I expect to be back home a bit more than usual for various reasons, so unlikely to do too much traveling.

Being in the oil industry my travel to Norway & Denmark is pretty much limited to the oil towns - Stavanger & Esjberg respectively.
My opinion on Stavanger is that it's an absolutely beautiful city with lots happening down the harbour area, people are very friendly and lots of interesting places to visit - both in the city & outside. A fjord boat-trip is well worth it, as is a visit to Pulpit Rock, I was lucky enough to be there during the annual food festival - was really great with all the bars offering special deals ( on food & drink), the temptation is always to visit the Capitol & not stray too far from ( in this case Oslo), but I'd definitely recommend Stavanger.
Denmark is also a fantastic country, small enough that you can pretty much drive anywhere in a day, again my experience of Ejsberg is that's it's a pretty little town, some lovely beaches (summer only ), nearby (30-40 min drive) is the original Legoland. The variety of places to eat & drink is much more limited than Stavanger or indeed Copenhagen but a lovely area nonetheless.
Hopefully get a chance to explore more of the Scandic countries at some point.
The prices are very high in both places!

I'm thinking about doing 2 weeks in Italy, think we will stay in the northern half, my gf wants to see Venice and Florence. Might arrive in one of the two or even Milan and then fly back from Rome, haven't done much research into it yet but if anyone has done similar then i would love to hear about it. 

Try some pizza. Oh, and ice cream (gelato). They call pizza, pizza.

5 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

May just be me but no way 1 week in Orlando is enough

Unfortunately we can't all be on Tesco wages where two weeks in Orlando is pocket change ;)

I'll squeeze in whatever I can but any more than a week would mean no more breaks for the rest of the year.

PS Just remembered you saying something on GN about a new job. As you were.

Archived