Scotland v Lithuania

TheScarf

Just now, Big Fifer said:

I don't know if that's what I'd expect us to take, but if we've any chance of qualifying then that's probably about right

For us to qualify/get in the play offs it is really what we need to be taking, dropping points in Lithuania (Georgia esque) and Slovenia will lower our chances.  I genuinely think offensively we could achieve said points in Slovenia, Lithuania etc.  However we need the defence sorted and we need to actually go out and attack teams at home.  With the balance of our squad just go for it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, angus-saintPB253 said:

Really looking forward to this now - 'should' be a safe 3 points 'if' we turn up and 7.45 on a Saturday evening is a gem of a kick off time.                

Line up for me.....

Marshall

Paterson  Martin  Hanley  Robertson

Fletcher         Bannan

Burke          Snodgrass           Ritchie

Fletcher

3-1 Scotland.

Fletcher, Snodgrass (P), Ritchie

Anyone got up to date ticket sales? Last I heard was around 30k .

Would anticipate about 40k.

Slovenia players were bigging up how impressed they were by Lithuania in the last game so that sould serve as a warning! No margin for error in these kind of games. The sad thing is even if we do happen to have an excellent campaign and get to the playoffs then even they are seeded so we will probably end up with someone like Italy or Holland. Part of me feels our only hope of going to the World cup is winning the group

21 minutes ago, football maniac said:

Slovenia players were bigging up how impressed they were by Lithuania in the last game so that sould serve as a warning! 

Slovenia are a fairly shite outfit too though. I'm not worried about Lithuania, away to Slovakia is where we're more likely to fail as Strachan will set out for a point. Lithuania will sit in and frustrate us, I seriously doubt they'll be good enough to keep us out though. 

Burke to get off the mark and the standard Snodgrass beauty to seal the points tomorrow. f**k knows about Slovakia though, it has shitey 1-0 defeat written all over it.

Can't wait for this one. Love Scotland games, though I'm in a rare minority of people I know.

Lithuania is absolutely must win if we have any thoughts of finishing second and qualifying. However, they looked impressive against Slovenia, so they must be treated with respect. While saying that, we also have to go out and take the game to them.

In terms of team: Marshall; Paterson, Martin, Hanley, Robertson; D.Fletcher, McArthur; Burke, Snodgrass, Ritchie; Griffiths. That's what I'd play, natural finisher in Griffiths could prove key in a home game like this. Would imagine though that Steven Fletcher may start this instead.

Plenty depth in midfield options on the bench, which is a positive if we need to push for a goal later on. Hoping that Slovenia and Slovakia draw tomorrow, that would be of great help to us.

Reckon it will be 2-1 Scotland - Snodgrass and Ritchie, with Cesnauskis scoring for Lithuania.

Can't wait for this one. Love Scotland games, though I'm in a rare minority of people.

I love Scotland games, follow them home and away and still get the buzz before every game. It's more the fact that you go away with your mates supporting the same team for a change instead of supporting different clubs.

I love Scotland games as well, I really like international football, its the one area where the squad is what it is rather than buying up the best talent (although I know the boundaries of nationality are stretched sometimes :-))

Anyway, looking forward to this one, should be a good day out in Glasgow. Rather worried that it is a potential banana skin, we are good at losing to these teams. Hopefully a win though, any kind will do.

20 hours ago, Chimter-boys said:

Marshall

Paterson - R Martin - Berra - Robertson

Bannan - McArthur

Snodgrass - Ritchie - Burke

Fletcher

Bannan's ability to play against teams that sit deep can be vital for us seeing as this mob will inevitably park the bus. Burke's pace and strength will be pivotal in any attacke to create space against these cloggers, Fletcher instead of Griffiths as he can score goals against pub teams as well as being able to hold the ball up well and create chances for our strong midfield to play off him. Could even see any of the attacking midfielders switching around and one of them coming off to utilise Forrests pace when he comes on. Id put Forrest on for any of the wingers around 70 minutes, Chris Martin for Fletcher around the 73rd minute.

Nah, I'd say the 74th minute. 73rd minute would be tactically naive.

17 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Strachan really doesn't help himself sometimes. Clearly below him to answer questions from the public. 

IMG_0883.PNG

He might have had a preview and saw they were all variations of "why didn't you just f**k off after the last campaign?" "Why did we no qualify?" "Why are you so shite?"

Would him answering them in a typically sarcastic manner be better or worse than not answering them at all?  Curious.

Actually, is an official press conference really the place for this kind of thing anyway?  Fair enough if it was a more light-hearted event, but does he really want to be there answering what his favourite filling in a pie is, asked by Effie fae Fife (because I really doubt there would be anything testing in there).  I'd have said no too.

He might have had a preview and saw they were all variations of "why didn't you just f**k off after the last campaign?" "Why did we no qualify?" "Why are you so shite?"

Would him answering them in a typically sarcastic manner be better or worse than not answering them at all?  Curious.

Actually, is an official press conference really the place for this kind of thing anyway?  Fair enough if it was a more light-hearted event, but does he really want to be there answering what his favourite filling in a pie is, asked by Effie fae Fife (because I really doubt there would be anything testing in there).  I'd have said no too.

While I agree some will see it as he's saying "f**k Joe public, they don't matter" - See Twitter replies...

1 minute ago, Kennboy1978 said:

While I agree some will see it as he's saying "f**k Joe public, they don't matter" - See Twitter replies...

I don't doubt that.  It's not clean cut, some will see it one way, some the other.  Personally I don't think a press conference is really the place for it, but then I don't know what exactly was said in the press conference.  Did he just dingy it completely?  Politely decline?  Tell the journos to shove it up their arse?

You can see the questions asked on Twitter. Heres a few...

• Will you considering playing Griffiths and Fletcher up front as a pair?
  • Why are players who warm benches in England preferred to those who play every week in Scotland?
  • What does Jordan Rhodes have to do to be selected?
  • Why didnt you resign after failing to qualify for the largest ever Euros?
  • Does he need a map to find Aberdeen?

I don't doubt that.  It's not clean cut, some will see it one way, some the other.  Personally I don't think a press conference is really the place for it, but then I don't know what exactly was said in the press conference.  Did he just dingy it completely?  Politely decline?  Tell the journos to shove it up their arse?

He said "I'm not here to answer questions from anyone, this isn't Radio Clyde on a Saturday night" At that point I thought Bits and Pieces would kick in but no, sadly not.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You can see the questions asked on Twitter. Heres a few...

• Will you considering playing Griffiths and Fletcher up front as a pair?
  • Why are players who warm benches in England preferred to those who play every week in Scotland?
  • What does Jordan Rhodes have to do to be selected?
  • Why didnt you resign after failing to qualify for the largest ever Euros?
  • Does he need a map to find Aberdeen?

I'd say only the first is a question which isn't written in a sneering tone.  Don't think they're the sort of ones any manager would want to answer anywhere, let alone at an official press conference.

I'm guessing given it was BBC they didn't say anything about this beforehand and just said "haw Gordon, we've got some questions from the public here for you, fancy answering them?"

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

I'd say only the first is a question which isn't written in a sneering tone.  Don't think they're the sort of ones any manager would want to answer anywhere, let alone at an official press conference.

I'm guessing given it was BBC they didn't say anything about this beforehand and just said "haw Gordon, we've got some questions from the public here for you, fancy answering them?"

That was the most reasonable ones, theres plenty of ones about asking him when he'll resign and other such shite. Fair play to him for ignoring them, as no matter how he'd answered he'd have been savaged by the moronic support plus a media who seem desperate to live up to their English counterparts in ripping apart the national side.

Archived