The Get Down

Saigon Raider

Not sure if this is on UK Netflix but if it is on the Indonesian one then pretty sure it must be.

Just finished it the other day and thought it was great. Baz Luhrmann has produced it and it looks at the start of hip-hop in the Bronx in the late 70s. Almost like a musical at times and the way it combines graffiti, disco and hip hop is always going to be a winner with me. Some of the musical set pieces are very impressive and the three main girls are smoking hot.

Well worth checking out

• 6 months later...

A bit over the top for me. With so much attention paid to sets & costumes, I felt the music to be lacking in authenticity. Most of the disco tracks sounded mid-late 90s & some of the hip hop was too advanced for its time.

Luhrmann nailed the flamboyant downtown disco scenes but I think the Bronx scenes lacked gritty realism. 

4 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Found the first episode utterly unwatchable. Shame, as I was looking forward to it. Not a fan of Lurhmann's work. Spike Lee would have been a much better choice as director / producer.

A collaboration might have worked better with Luhrmann being perfect for the disco hedonism but falling short with the ghetto themes.

Archived