So I have a virtual reality headset.

Lofarl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's definitely a future for VR if it's utilised properly. I have to say, playing Resi is completely different when you have the headset on. You're not totally immersed in a game when you're sitting in front of a TV screen. Aye, you get right into it and I've seen myself lose hours in a flash. But with the headset on (and headphones) you are completely out of touch with reality. It's a completely different experience IMO. You don't need too much space if you can use the controller to move. It's never going to dominate the gaming industry but it can play a big part.

The idea of watching live sport/concerts/shows is a great idea and one I hope is in serious development. I watched a recorded boxing match on YouTube and it was superb. It was a bit blurry though which is where they'd need to work. I'd happily PPV to watch in HD with a VR headset though.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

There's definitely a future for VR if it's utilised properly. I have to say, playing Resi is completely different when you have the headset on. You're not totally immersed in a game when you're sitting in front of a TV screen. Aye, you get right into it and I've seen myself lose hours in a flash. But with the headset on (and headphones) you are completely out of touch with reality. It's a completely different experience IMO. You don't need too much space if you can use the controller to move. It's never going to dominate the gaming industry but it can play a big part.

The idea of watching live sport/concerts/shows is a great idea and one I hope is in serious development. I watched a recorded boxing match on YouTube and it was superb. It was a bit blurry though which is where they'd need to work. I'd happily PPV to watch in HD with a VR headset though.

So many jokes, so little time :P

Couldnt you achieve the same thing by turning the lights out? 

Seriously, though, I've never played a game like Resi in VR. Is there really that much of a difference to the immersion, given you still move around with a controller? Presumably, you need to push buttons for actions, fighting etc too?

So many jokes, so little time [emoji14]
Couldnt you achieve the same thing by turning the lights out? 
Seriously, though, I've never played a game like Resi in VR. Is there really that much of a difference to the immersion, given you still move around with a controller? Presumably, you need to push buttons for actions, fighting etc too?

:lol:

In a word, yes! Honestly, I was a skeptic of VR. I fully expected it to be a fad similar to Kinect or the Wii*. But it's absolutely gripping and incredibly realistic. I could rave about it for post after post but it won't do anything in the way of convincing you. You need to have a shot yourself. I had a go of my nephew's at Xmas and had pre-ordered one immediately. I just hope they get some top games shortly. But PS4 itself took a while to get games going so I don't expect VR games to be any different.

* I know they sold incredibly well. My point being you'd play it for a couple hours and then let it gather dust for a while.

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

:lol:

In a word, yes! Honestly, I was a skeptic of VR. I fully expected it to be a fad similar to Kinect or the Wii*. But it's absolutely gripping and incredibly realistic. I could rave about it for post after post but it won't do anything in the way of convincing you. You need to have a shot yourself. I had a go of my nephew's at Xmas and had pre-ordered one immediately. I just hope they get some top games shortly. But PS4 itself took a while to get games going so I don't expect VR games to be any different.

* I know they sold incredibly well. My point being you'd play it for a couple hours and then let it gather dust for a while.

To be honest, Im not particularly sceptical. I've never tried any of the high end VRs, just a cheapy Android one that you stuck the phone into. Other than making me feel sick it was pretty cool.

I think fad is the wrong word, though. The wii was pretty pioneering in terms of motion control and the current gen of VR will probably be looked back on in the same way. Theres a lot of similarities too, they almost have the opposite problem.

Whilst swinging a bat, or sword, or punching someone on the Wii felt pretty good, you were still just looking at characters on a screen. The motion control only went so far in immersing you in the game - particularly, as you could just sit on the couch and make small movements to trick it. With VR, everything you see is immersive but you're control over the environment isnt, at all. Again, you presumably can just sit on the couch while you're actually walking around waiting for zombies to jump out.

Can you interact at all with the VR world? I mean, can you stick your hand out and see it "in the game"? Can you use your hands to, say, open doors?

52 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

That would be pretty cool. Interesting to see he says the same things about movement in VR as I did :smartass :lol:

Im still a little unconvinced though. The part about the pip boy sounds great but unless you can interact with it, I question the point. This part also raises a few questions

Right now we're doing the teleport warp thing and that's fine, but we're experimenting with a few others.

Does that mean that most of you're movement is teleporting and that you're limited to small areas that you can actually "walk" around in?

I guess, at the end of the day, this is all new technology and its baby steps, to a degree.It will be interesting to see, though, if everyone can grab enough peoples attention and put together VR games with genuine differentials over a "normal" experience to get people interested enough to be able to sustain VR gaming for long enough to develop it into something genuinely ground breaking

Yeah you can see your hands in game.  In Onward for example you have to use your hands to manually reload your gun.  So empty your magazine, pick one up from your body, slot it into the gun, cock the gun and fire away.  I would imagine you could interact with the pipboy on your arm, it would be quite simple to simulate in VR.  Remember in VR you are not some set of floaty eyes and wavy hands.  The lighthouse sensors in the vive give you weight and mass in games. 

It's hard to show VR games on youtube or twitch, as you are looking at a 2d image of a interactive 3d world so most of the wow factor gets lost.

25 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Yeah you can see your hands in game.  In Onward for example you have to use your hands to manually reload your gun.  So empty your magazine, pick one up from your body, slot it into the gun, cock the gun and fire away.  I would imagine you could interact with the pipboy on your arm, it would be quite simple to simulate in VR.  Remember in VR you are not some set of floaty eyes and wavy hands.  The lighthouse sensors in the vive give you weight and mass in games. 

It's hard to show VR games on youtube or twitch, as you are looking at a 2d image of a interactive 3d world so most of the wow factor gets lost.

Cool. I retract some of my early reservations then :lol:

Tried Resident Evil last night. 

Lasted 10 mins and felt ill. The other games you tend to have a fixed position and it works... as soon as you start moving about in RE i just became disorientated. 

29 minutes ago, #Gary said:

Lasted 10 mins and felt ill. The other games you tend to have a fixed position and it works... as soon as you start moving about in RE i just became disorientated. 

Thats one of my big worries about it. I've just been reading that there are mods for Minecraft, Skyrim, Alien Isolation and Fallout 4 that will let you play using VR which is interesting.

I also found this article on the same site which is worth a read

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/why-virtual-reality-technology-will-blow-your-mind-in-5-years/

Same thing happened with me when I first started VR. Were you standing up? I've never had that problem since sitting down. I think standing up is the main problem as your surrounding are moving but your legs are generally planted and it's a new concept for your brain. Sounds extreme but on more than one occasion I was standing still and almost fell backwards.

Sit down when playing is my recommendation. If you were sitting down then I don't know what to recommend :lol:

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Same thing happened with me when I first started VR. Were you standing up? I've never had that problem since sitting down. I think standing up is the main problem as your surrounding are moving but your legs are generally planted and it's a new concept for your brain. Sounds extreme but on more than one occasion I was standing still and almost fell backwards.

Sit down when playing is my recommendation. If you were sitting down then I don't know what to recommend :lol:

Essentially the same thing as travel sickness. Your brain and body sending mixed signals to each other.

I'm just wondering if there is a link between the two. People who get travel sick and the likelihood of them feeling the same way if they use a VR headset.

I'm now considering buying a VR headset for the PS4, but as I have only just bought the PS4 I'll need to wait a few months until the missus forgets how much I just spent on the console.

I think it's natural to feel a bit woozy after playing with VR to begin with.  You quickly get used to it.  It's like if you wear glasses and you get a new prescription.  The world does not like right for a while.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

I'm just wondering if there is a link between the two. People who get travel sick and the likelihood of them feeling the same way if they use a VR headset.

I'm now considering buying a VR headset for the PS4, but as I have only just bought the PS4 I'll need to wait a few months until the missus forgets how much I just spent on the console.

I dont get travel sickness for all its worth...

I was playing RE standing up based on advice i had read on another forum where people felt ill sitting playing it but fine standing up. I'll try sitting down next time and see how it goes! 

Until Dawn demo, London Heist and Danger Ball are the only other things ive played so far. All fantastic.

Any recommendations? 

Ive heard Tumble is surprisingly good even though it just looks like virtual jenga.

Anyone played Batman? Is it similar to RE in terms of movement? 

• 3 weeks later...

Had a shot of this yesterday. Tried London Heist and Batman. London Heist was excellent, Batman was a bit too fidgety at times and was a nightmare in terms of calibrating the controllers, no matter how often I done that my hands would end up out of range when trying to grab things. Only other criticisms at the moment would be on the length of the available games. Both that I mentioned were far too short and easy to get through. That being said, the level of detail and the immersion in the game itself is outstanding. I'll hold off a year or so until there are enough games available but I will definitely be looking to buy this.

Archived