Dara O'Briens Go 8 BIT

Dindeleux

I thought this would be better placed in here than the TV section.

Did anyone watch this?  It was just reasonable to be honest.  Good to see some old games and also some new variations on gaming but filled up with a bit too many cringy moments in the first 2 episodes I saw.  The patter was pretty poor.

Ex England goalkeeper David James was on ep.1 and they played Tetris, Tekken, Star Wars Battlefront and Chucky Cheese.

Ep.2 had no-one of any note but they played Portal, Snake...........and I can't remember any of the others.

Strangely enough I've had the 1st episode taped since it was on and decided to watch it last night.  Managed 5 minutes and deleted it.  The Scottish dwarf woman annoyed me beyond belief.  David James actually seemed to be coming across well.

The games expert/commentator woman just seemed to be trying really hard to come across as a budget version of Mel or Sue, I forget which one is which, off the British Bake Off.

It gets better. Bob Mortimer is pretty funny and watching Russell Howard get his arse handed to him on Tekken 2 by Rachel Riley is great viewing.

The kids are really liking it - at 11 and 9 they've never played most of the games, but they've heard of a lot more of them than I thought.

The two team captains both liked one of my tweets last week :)

I’ve been watching it and agree that it’s just above okay. Some of the guests haven’t been great and they fall into the trap of “if we’re having fun the audience must be too”. Some of the “banter” is that bad it actually makes Ellie Gibson’s seem okay.

You often don’t see enough of the games either, particularly when all four people are playing at once. The games work better with things like Tekken where you only need one big screen rather than multiscreens.

I’m mostly just watching to see what games they choose and if Steve McNeil (previously of Videogame Nation) wasn’t on it I’d probably have given up by now

Enjoy watching it with my 14yr old. He's vaguely fascinated / contemptuous of games from my teens. Last episode with Rachel Riley was probably the best for a) her monstering Russell Howard and b ) that team captain boy clearly in lurve with Rachel.

Think it's OK. It really depends on the guests and the games played.

Some of the guests have no interest in gaming and have been rotten at most of the games. The likes of Snake and the other mobile games arent entertaining to watch somebody play and the guests that picked them have been hopeless at them . They would be best sticking to multiplayer games like Mario kart, tekken, sensi etc.

• 3 months later...
Really enjoyed this show and my 12 year old did as well.  Never thought I would see people play Chuckie Egg on TV.  Next season they should have a speed run on Bruce Lee on the ZX Spectrum.

Got an emulator for some of the old bbc b games n wee lad is addicted to chuckie egg. Hope they do elite at some point.

• 4 months later...

I hope they have stopped doing the attempted funny "spinning around" thing, it's very annoying.

Regarding retro games I picked up another two games for my Mega Drive today:

NBA Jam

e74efe7fd24468876f177fcb7326d436.jpg

PGA Tour 2:

4feb58e0a2f798711c7c9bf7e0c23d7e.jpg

2 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I hope they have stopped doing the attempted funny "spinning around" thing, it's very annoying.

Regarding retro games I picked up another two games for my Mega Drive today:

NBA Jam

e74efe7fd24468876f177fcb7326d436.jpg

PGA Tour 2:

4feb58e0a2f798711c7c9bf7e0c23d7e.jpg

They havent :P

PGA Tour golf was fantastic

They havent [emoji14]
PGA Tour golf was fantastic

It will be better than the utter abomination that was Rory McIlroy PGA, the only game recently that I've traded in as I normally hold onto games regardless in case I get a notion for it one day. It was so bad that I could never see it going back on.

• 8 months later...

I saw a few shows but had to stop watching it due to how shite they all were at games.

One time in particular had me absolutely seething. They were playing Crash Team Racing and it was if none of them had ever held a controller before. There was some lassie, I forgot who, who could barely control her character and kept banging in to walls and accidentally been turned around so her character was facing the wrong way. She was stuck in a tunnel for a good 60 seconds or so. I was fuming, fucking livid. None of them used a single power up either. Such a great game, one of my all time favourites in fact, but they fucked it so badly.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I saw a few shows but had to stop watching it due to how shite they all were at games.

One time in particular had me absolutely seething. They were playing Crash Team Racing and it was if none of them had ever held a controller before. There was some lassie, I forgot who, who could barely control her character and kept banging in to walls and accidentally been turned around so her character was facing the wrong way. She was stuck in a tunnel for a good 60 seconds or so. I was fuming, fucking livid. None of them used a single power up either. Such a great game, one of my all time favourites in fact, but they fucked it so badly.

Ellie Taylor ... still wid though.

She can manipulate my controller anytime, or something like that.

They've announced what tonights games are going to be in advance on twitter. Not sure I like that

Archived