48 Team World Cup

djchapsticks

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIFA Officials: "Nah, a 48 team tournament sounds shite. 32 teams is ideal and its been great since we intoduced it."

Infantini: "But we'll make loads more cash. And I'll make sure you all get a healthy cut."

FIFA Officials: "WHERE DO WE SIGN?!?!"

I don't like the new Group Stage. You can guarantee they'll arrange it so the seeded sides have a rest on matchday two, while the others have back to back matches.

That said, I agree with expansion in principal. Football is easily a big enough sport to accommodate 48 teams at its top tournament, and I like watching diddy nations rather than just the same old teams every tournament.

While the Group Stage looks shite, they have, effectively, doubled the knockout stage which should provide excitement.

Going to be a pain in the arse getting time off work for all the games, mind.

I don't have a problem with the expansion but it's going to be 1982 all over again with the final group game played with those teams at an advantage.  Will miss the straightforward group stage, probably end up with a load of shit fests in the ko stages now with so many worse teams at that point.  Makes it trickier to host as well.

I like the idea. I don't think it will hugely dilute the quality, because there isn't much at all between many of the qualifiers and those who just miss out. I'm concerned about fairness aspects of the group stage though. 

Cheers.

I doubt any of the half places will remain. If I was gonna guess:

Host: 1
Europe: 15
Africa: 10
Asia: 9
North America: 6
South America: 6
Oceania: 1

Reduce Africa to 9 if it's co-hosted.

And, just as example, below are the extra teams who might have qualified based on the above allocations (I have taken their performance in the last World Cup Qualifiers and listed the next best teams not to have qualified based on their group records).

Europe: Ukraine, Sweden
Africa: Senegal, Ethiopia, Tunisia, Egypt, Burkina Faso
Asia: Jordan, Uzbekistan, Oman, Qatar, Iraq
North America: Panama, Jamaica
South America: Venezuela
Oceania: New Zealand.

Archived