Dembele for Scotland?

THE KING

To be fair, the sfa cant win. Don't do anything about it then people moan a la james mccarthy. Then be proactive and they get slated.

The boy is clearly too good for his own age group at present so putting him up a few age groups to try aid his development is fine with me. The whole under 20s was a token gesture i think and obviously gives the boy encouragement to stay with celtic as he can see a route to progress up.

He could be shite. He could be brilliant. But I just think its funny seeing people moaning about the sfa trying to be pro active when they were probably the same people that shouted when james mccarthy picked ireland.

That said, the whole newspaper stuff is a bit ridiculous

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Aufc said:

To be fair, the sfa cant win. Don't do anything about it then people moan a la james mccarthy. Then be proactive and they get slated.

The boy is clearly too good for his own age group at present so putting him up a few age groups to try aid his development is fine with me. The whole under 20s was a token gesture i think and obviously gives the boy encouragement to stay with celtic as he can see a route to progress up.

He could be shite. He could be brilliant. But I just think its funny seeing people moaning about the sfa trying to be pro active when they were probably the same people that shouted when james mccarthy picked ireland.

That said, the whole newspaper stuff is a bit ridiculous

I don't think folk are whingeing about the SFA approach - that all seems sound if done in a level-headed and proper way. It's the media w*nkfest that jars so badly.

Does anyone else find the whole business slightly disturbing? Even a quality newspaper like the Scotsman has a full (except one column) back-page spread today. Describing him as a "wonderkid" and our next great hope. Had anyone heard of him, before he happened to play the last few minutes of an U20s game? Apparently off the back of it the SFA is going to call him into the U16s Victory Shield squad. This just seems to have all the hallmarks of Islam Feroz but on turbocharge. Lumping expectation on a boy who is barely into high school.

Added to that the photos of him playing in the U20s game look ridiculous... it's like a midget among giants. Overage players feature in that tournament, so you could have someone in their 20s and 30s with years of senior experience and he's 13. Would any of them actually put in a robust challenge or tackle on a 13yr old laddie or would it be seen as "not the done thing"?

Is it not against the rules to put a 13 year old into a" senior" match?

Is it not against the rules to put a 13 year old into a" senior" match?

You would have thought it would be against the rules for a 13 year old to be playing against professionals, but there we have it.

Yes, there is something that sits a little uncomfortably for me.

I was sure the rule was that until you turned 16, you could only play in an age group within two years of your own age. So a 15 year old could play U17 but couldnt play U20 type thing.

An U13 in U23 football is irresponsible. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was sure the rule was that until you turned 16, you could only play in an age group within two years of your own age. So a 15 year old could play U17 but couldnt play U20 type thing.

An U13 in U23 football is irresponsible. 

I think that is a rule within the Scottish Youth FA - in the same vein as the cut-off at which girls have to stop playing in boys football. Surprisingly young players have popped-up in the Development League and Scottish Youth Cup before - I remember some mild attention being drawn to Airdrie playing someone particularly young, it might even have been in the full-blown "Reserve League".

EDIT: It was. Airdrie played Jordan Allan in the SFL Reserve League when he was 14, in the spring of 2013. He played for the first-team while still 14.

He was branded, would you have guessed it, "the next Scottish wonderkid". He's now with Wolves.

This is the Dembele picture which made me uncomfortable:

JS101419469.jpg

46 minutes ago, Dipped Flake said:

to be fair to cveltic it's not them doing the hyping is it?

Why did they need to throw him on in the last 10 minutes of an Under 20's match? To gain publicity, simply as that. There really is no good reason, in respect of the boys development, for doing that.

Why did they need to throw him on in the last 10 minutes of an Under 20's match? To gain publicity, simply as that. There really is no good reason, in respect of the boys development, for doing that.

Or they could be getting him involved to show that there is a route to move up the levels if he sticks in. Don't really see the big deal

• 2 weeks later...
He's been included in the under 16s squad according to the BBC.

He'd better bloody grow at least a foot overnight, otherwise he's worse than a man down when defending corners.

Gordon or Ricky imo ^^^^^^^ [emoji2]. In all seriousness is this a serious selection based on ability or a bit of pr nonsense? Genuine question as I've never seen him play.

Maradona played r or Argentina at 15, if you're good enough you're old enough.   You'd think people would have learned that by now.

He made his debut at 16 so I'd be keen to know how he played for them at 15?

Archived