Dembele for Scotland?

THE KING

BBC Gossip column(I know) but they have the SFA wanting to fast track him into the u16s in a tournament sometime soon. I know he could turn out shite but at least if true, we're taking a gamble and getting him in quick.

Like others have said above, he's born in the Ivory Coast but supposedly eligible for England as well.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BBC Gossip column(I know) but they have the SFA wanting to fast track him into the u16s in a tournament sometime soon. I know he could turn out shite but at least if true, we're taking a gamble and getting him in quick.

Like others have said above, he's born in the Ivory Coast but supposedly eligible for England as well.

You do realise this is likely to go on for ten years, now, don't you?

Anyway, I thought he did ever so well against Man City and Rangers.

8 minutes ago, Moo said:

"Getting him in quick" in what way? He can play for any Country until one decides to cap him in a Qualifier or Tournament game at senior level. 

This hype is absolutely embarrassing btw

20 minutes ago, Moo said:

Probably like Raheem Sterling who was technically eligible for Scotland due to the 1993 agreement. It was never going to happen though.

1993 agreement: On the occasion of the meeting of the International Football Association Board on February 27, 1993 the four British associations ratified the following agreement, which came into force on February 1, 1993, on the criteria which should determine the eligibility of the player to be selected for one of the national teams of the British associations:

His country of birth. The country of birth of his natural mother or father. The country of birth of his natural grandmother or grandfather. Where the player, both natural parents, and both natural grandparents are born outside the UK, but the player is the holder of a current British passport, he may play for the country of his choice.

Simon Donnelly, John Fleck, Mark Burchill, there were loads of Scottish wonderkids over the years.

I wouldn't describe any of them as wonderkids tbh. Fleck had some skill but was essentially just a ned. Burchill and Donnelly just headless chickens.

I remember Mark Fotheringham on soccer am every week for some outrageous piece of skill. He was definitely a very talented player

Does anyone else find the whole business slightly disturbing? Even a quality newspaper like the Scotsman has a full (except one column) back-page spread today. Describing him as a "wonderkid" and our next great hope. Had anyone heard of him, before he happened to play the last few minutes of an U20s game? Apparently off the back of it the SFA is going to call him into the U16s Victory Shield squad. This just seems to have all the hallmarks of Islam Feroz but on turbocharge. Lumping expectation on a boy who is barely into high school.

Added to that the photos of him playing in the U20s game look ridiculous... it's like a midget among giants. Overage players feature in that tournament, so you could have someone in their 20s and 30s with years of senior experience and he's 13. Would any of them actually put in a robust challenge or tackle on a 13yr old laddie or would it be seen as "not the done thing"?

2 hours ago, Moo said:

Born in London I heard on the radio last night, moved to Glasgow at 3 months old though.

"Getting him in quick" in what way? He can play for any Country until one decides to cap him in a Qualifier or Tournament game at senior level. 

This hype is absolutely embarrassing btw

I'm in no way hyping him up as I've never seen any clips of him, just going by what I read.

Yes he can play for any country after he's represented us(if he does) but if he's played let's say a dozen games, he's likely going to want to play for us when he's older. Maybe he won't and he may pick another country or he may turn out shite and not be good enough for international football.

He looks a right good player has the potential but come on the kids 13 ,if he's still doing these things in 3 or 4 years time then fair enough all aboard the hype train. Until then just let the lad develop hopefully the media leave him alone for a bit instead of constantly scrutinising the kids displays.

Archived