Queens vs. Morton; 15th October (1st v 6th)

2 hours ago, Ton in Shawlands said:

Spot on, that was the game. Somehow we went top after a couple of games before normal Alan Moore service was resumed & we ended up in 8th place.

Yes.  In fairness, that was two places above us.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's our striking options? With Lyle and Hilson out I would be tempted to have dykes and dobbie up front brotherston out left Anderson right. Millar and Jacobs (if fit) in the centre. Same back four. I think that covers all bases. Experience pace and high work rate all out on the pitch

41 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

What's our striking options? With Lyle and Hilson out I would be tempted to have dykes and dobbie up front brotherston out left Anderson right. Millar and Jacobs (if fit) in the centre. Same back four. I think that covers all bases. Experience pace and high work rate all out on the pitch

I dont think our striking options are that bad, with Dykes, Rigg and Dobbie available and Lyle and Hilson out. The problem is the left side of midfield

I dont think our striking options are that bad, with Dykes, Rigg and Dobbie available and Lyle and Hilson out. The problem is the left side of midfield

I think with every passing week the prospect of Carmichael returning becomes more appealing. I said at the start of the season we didn't need him, I now think he is exactly what we're missing.

Wasn't saying they were bad. I am not sure what our best option is up front with Lyle injured. I was only getting at that I believe the line up I posted would be best line up in my opinion. I was banging on earlier in season that rigg should get his chance. I believe he has had that chance now and think dykes and dobbie would be decent pairing.

Thought brotherston was good when he came on despite few poor touches

I don't think Rigg can work with Dobbie as he just clogs up space, hence why Skelton has shunted Rigg out wide halfway through the last two games. I think Brotherston played left wing against Hibs in the cup game but I doubt he'll be able to that from the start. If Lyle is fit then I'd stick Dykes out wide and Millar for Pickard. If he isn't fit and then Skelton might be tempted to play three at the back and swap Anderson and Rigg for Higgins and Millar, though I'd rather he left the defence alone as much as possible.

Morton are usually fairly tough to break down under Duffy, so I have a feeling that this probably won't be a classic encounter and the first goal will decide it.

As identified by most on here pre-season, left midfield is a problematic area. If Lyle is fit it shouldn't be an issue, but if he doesn't make it we have a few options. None of which are perfect IMO.

Dobbie on the left with Dykes and Rigg up front as per Linfield. I wasn't at the game, but on paper it puts Dobbie in a less dangerous area of the park and removes him too far from the goals for my liking. Also Rigg and Dykes are an inexperienced pairing.

Rigg on the left with Dobbie and Dykes up front. I wasn't at the game this was tried (Dumbarton was it?) but it doesn't sound like the best utilisation of Rigg. It does allow us to play our strongest available front two.

Dykes on the left with Dobbie and Rigg up front. This is my preferred option. Dykes did well out wide at the start of the season and although Rigg is yet to shine for us I reckon playing alongside Dobbie is his best chance to do it.

Any news on Gunning, Kilday, Lamie and Pepper's injuries? Obviously we don't want to rush any of them back and aggravate their injuries while it's highly unlikely Gunning will be fit again for this one, but we could really do with at least one of them back - the thought of McDonagh in defence against a team with Dobbie isn't appealing.

7 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Any news on Gunning, Kilday, Lamie and Pepper's injuries? Obviously we don't want to rush any of them back and aggravate their injuries while it's highly unlikely Gunning will be fit again for this one, but we could really do with at least one of them back - the thought of McDonagh in defence against a team with Dobbie isn't appealing.

It's not an ideal scenario, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how well McDonagh has filled in at right back, after the initial horror of seeing him start there in the game against Dunfermline. Ideally Lamie or Kilday would be fit to go straight back into the team to give us a more natural look, but if McDonagh has to fill in at the back again, I'm sure he'll do alright.

Would be good to have Tidser and Pepper back amongst the subs again, with a view to getting them some pitch time, and then a game for the under 20s next midweek ahead of the semi final.

We've not done particularly well away from home so far this season, but I'm hopeful of a point in this one.

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Rigg on the left with Dobbie and Dykes up front. I wasn't at the game this was tried (Dumbarton was it?) but it doesn't sound like the best utilisation of Rigg. It does allow us to play our strongest available front two.

There was a spell of Rigg on the left and Dykes and Dobbie up front on Sunday against Linfield too I think, though not sure it lasted all that long. I think we tried all three combinations of the three of them at various times on Sunday.

As identified by most on here pre-season, left midfield is a problematic area. If Lyle is fit it shouldn't be an issue, but if he doesn't make it we have a few options. None of which are perfect IMO.

Dobbie on the left with Dykes and Rigg up front as per Linfield. I wasn't at the game, but on paper it puts Dobbie in a less dangerous area of the park and removes him too far from the goals for my liking. Also Rigg and Dykes are an inexperienced pairing.

Dykes on the left with Dobbie and Rigg up front. This is my preferred option. Dykes did well out wide at the start of the season and although Rigg is yet to shine for us I reckon playing alongside Dobbie is his best chance to do it.

Thought Dobbie was quite dangerous cutting in onto his right obviously not to much success but worked a few times. Probably would rather Lyndon on left, Rigg upfront with Dobbie.

1 hour ago, NM_1919 said:

Thought Dobbie was quite dangerous cutting in onto his right obviously not to much success but worked a few times. Probably would rather Lyndon on left, Rigg upfront with Dobbie.

Yeah I could imagine that working quite well.  Although if you've the height of Dykes and Rigg in the centre you'd probably prefer your wide men to hit the byline and get some crosses in rather than cut inside.

Archived