England v Scotland

tartanspark

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clueless table analysis by Hoddle and McCoist.

Slovakia will surely beat Malta, meaning we could be 7pts & 5pts or 4pts & 3pts behind Slovenia & Slovakia come halfway - unless we beat Slovenia in the next game.

More importantly, remembering 1 runners-up misses-out, we've 4pts from 4 games (only 1pt counting) whereas the runners-up in the other groups will already have around 7pts-9pts (most of those counting) come the end of the weekend. In recent campaigns 11pts, 12pts, or even 13pts counting has been needed to avoid last in the runners-up ranking. As I say we currently have 1pt counting so you've got to convince yourself that we will not only finish 2nd, but take 10pts-12pts from possible 15pts in the process :lol:.

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Never been so embarrassed by fellow supporters. To stand and applaud that team off the pitch after that tame surrender is staggering. 

TBH I think tame surrender is harsh. We aren`t a good team but we were the better team or at least a match for,England  for an hour.  We couldn`t maintain that because we aren`t good enough. That`s not the same a tame surrender. 

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Never been so embarrassed by fellow supporters. To stand and applaud that team off the pitch after that tame surrender is staggering. 

Felt exactly the same. Sanding at Wembley watching fans clapping players who have just been far too easily swept aside by  a bang average England side. Fans dancing in the concourse having just watched us lose 3-0 to our greatest rivals. No time for that at all. An embarrassment.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

More importantly, remembering 1 runners-up misses-out, we've 4pts from 4 games (only 1pt counting) whereas the runners-up in the other groups will already have around 7pts-9pts (most of those counting) come the end of the weekend. In recent campaigns 11pts, 12pts, or even 13pts counting has been needed to avoid last in the runners-up ranking. As I say we currently have 1pt counting so you've got to convince yourself that we will not only finish 2nd, but take 10pts-12pts from possible 15pts in the process :lol:.

Put brutally - having only got a draw at home to Lithuania so far, that's beating Slovenia and Slovakia at home, Lithuania away, winning or drawing away to Slovenia, then still hoping.

12 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

While all this was going on Scotland got a draw with NZ at rugby league tonight. Of course the football side can`t be expected to pull off a shock :o

One player born in Scotland, the rest from the north of England and Australia. Strachan and the SFA would kill for a team like that, minus the token Jock.

5 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

TBH I think tame surrender is harsh. We aren`t a good team but we were the better team or at least a match for,England  for an hour.  We couldn`t maintain that because we aren`t good enough. That`s not the same a tame surrender. 

For the last half an hour we watched them pass the ball about; that was the tame surrender bit. Didn't even attempt to put in a tackle.

Erm no they were not "at least a match". In that hour Hart had literally no credible shot at him to chuck in the back of his net. Scotland had many spells of slow paced, ultimately aimless possession. The only threat that they posed came in the five minutes between the start of the second half and shipping the second goal - and they didn't actually create a clear-cut chance anyway. England played in second gear throughout.

There can be no doubt that Scotland are battling it out with Lithuania as the fourth best team in a dire group.

I haven't read through this but surely I'm not the only one that thinks Wallace and forrest were at fault for 2 of the goals? All I see is praise for them on the likes of Facebook. Berra did a job and anya was an upgrade on Patterson also.

Agreed. Berra and Anya were decent. Possibly Snoddy too although that may be the booze talking.

15 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Only Borders bumpkins care about egg-chasing.

I live a long way from the Border as it happens..

10 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Erm no they were not "at least a match". In that hour Hart had literally no credible shot at him to chuck in the back of his net. Scotland had many spells of slow paced, ultimately aimless possession. The only threat that they posed came in the five minutes between the start of the second half and shipping the second goal - and they didn't actually create a clear-cut chance anyway. England played in second gear throughout.

There can be no doubt that Scotland are battling it out with Lithuania as the fourth best team in a dire group.

Agreed. We are very much in a "battle" for 4th spot. A battle I`m not convinced we will win. No argument from me there.

Also agree Hart had no credible shots to save. That`s not to say we didn`t do enough to make some good chances. I suspect we are actually saying much the same thing from a different perspective. Both views might just be valid champ.

9 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Fair point. I`ve no idea how eligibility works for rugby league stuff.

Neither do I tbh but when I saw there was a Scotland team in this tournament I did some googling as something wasn't right. They'd have been more accurate using the old failfull Presidents Team or International Select titles.

Wallace was hilariously bad, particularly for the second goal. It sums up the braying morons in the Scotland support that any of them thought that he had a good game, while actively shipping several goals in the left back position.

I haven't read through this but surely I'm not the only one that thinks Wallace and forrest were at fault for 2 of the goals? All I see is praise for them on the likes of Facebook. Berra did a job and anya was an upgrade on Patterson also.

No you are correct.. it's just the old firm fanboys who refuse to accept that Wallace n forrest are woeful.....again....like every other time they've played. Quite tragic seeing sevco fans white knighting forrest n Celtic fans doing same with forrest.

Archived