Your first ever football goal.

Just as the title says;

For those who play football, what was your first ever goal like? Do you remember it? Was it a complete fluke? An absolute peach?

It can be any level; school to professional ([emoji87]).

My first ever goal playing the beautiful game came in primary 3; there was a stramash at the goal mouth (between two trees no less), which then resulted in the plastic, size 2 floater of a ball going up in the air. I then, on the volley, side foot chipped it over the hapless keeper, for it to hit the black railings behind the trees and ultimately count as a goal. Will never forget it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I scored my first goal at an away game in Kirkcaldy. I was always in defence and never went forward for corners but on this occasion I decided to defy my managers instructions and went for it. Ball came into the box and I volleyed it into the net. I did a Klinsmann to celebrate.

Our school team was normally just p7 but a mate and me in p6 were identified as being less shite than the rest and drafted in for our first game against a school from a nearby village (Oakley). We played a series of 1-2's up the park, culminating in me hitting a 20 yard half volley left foot toe punt as high and hard as I could. It sailed over the tiny keeper and over the line, backspinning back out of the goal. The two of us celebrated as everyone else growled at us wee upstarts. My football career was all downhill after that high point.

I played a lot of football as a nipper, difficult to remember my first goal.

Certainly I remember my first* goal playing for an actual team, it came from a floated corner which was headed on at the front post and I steamed in to bullet a header home at the back post.

There is some poetic licence there, the ball actually smacked me in the face due to me taking my eye off it because of the attentions of an opposition defender!

It was a consolation goal in a 7-1 defeat!

*only

P5 or P6 away to Loretto (not the posh one, the normal one), at Pinkie Fields. It was a cold autumn day, the pitch was heavy. I was put through to a one on one with the keeper by a lovely weighted pass by a guy who became a physio for Hearts and Raith Rovers in his adult life. I drew the keeper and calmly slotted it past him. The crowd went wild.

That was the start of the still talked about (by me) team which went on to sweep all aside and win the 1990 league. We came roaring back from 3-1 down with 5 to go, to win 4-3 in the deciding game, with enough time for an overhead kick to be chalked off for dangerous play. We were clapped into school by the teachers, and drank irn bru lavishly directly from the trophy.

I then retired reasoning that my career had peaked. So nigh on 26 years since I last kicked a ball in a proper game.

The Loretto manager/coach/teacher/bus driver/physio used to carry a rolled up towel to serve as his offside flag.

I walked past that park a couple of weeks ago and this all came flooding back to me.

Football, bloody hell.

Remember It well - it was a brilliant team effort, started and ended by me.

I was playing my first ever game for Langlaw Boys Club in Easthouses Park - I was playing in centre-mid, but didn't have a clue - I remember asking "Where do I stand?" :lol:

About half an hour in, I somehow read a pass from the opposition, and ran in to intercept it inside our half, and passed forward and right to JC, who then advanced and fed JR on the right wing.  JR scampered to the by-line, and crossed it to the far post - my mate SB, who scored about 9 goals that day, and who sadly died in his twenties, hooked it back across goal just a few yards out, and I bulleted home a diving header, having made a lung-bursting run from my own half. The diving header maybe wasn't necessary, and was explained by some team-mates as being caused by tripping over my bootlaces - the truth is that I was shit scared of missing, so followed the ball in to make sure.

Sadly I was never able to fulfil my early promise due to my spectacular lack of ability.

That goal was pure Roy of the fucking Rovers stuff, though! :lol: 

My first ever competitive goal was in an u-11's game on a black ash pitch. I played at right back but somehow found myself rounding their keeper and finding myself with an open goal in front of me and thinking, "Fucking hell, I'm actually going to score here". I stuck it in the empty goal and immediately lost my fucking mind, wheeling away and going mental like Marco Tardelli in the 1982 World Cup Final.

images (18).jpg

I have no idea when I scored my first goal let alone what happened.

I scored my last goal before officially retiring from the game a couple of weeks ago. Ball was delivered in low from the corner and I nipped in at the front post to try and flick it with the outside of my boot. Completely missed it, the ball cannoned off the knee of the defender behind me then off my arse. I turned around expecting a goal line stramash only to see the ball nestled in the back of the net. No idea what happened but I'm claiming a famous gooch goal.

I don't remember my first ever goal (I'm getting long in the tooth) but one thing that remains fresh in the memory is my first ever headed goal.  When I played football I basically refused to head the ball because, well, it's fairly obvious isn't it?  It's just not a good idea.

Anyway I was 12 and it was for my primary school.  We had a corner for the right side.  Whoever it was floated in the corner right into the box.  I wasn't paying attention. Like a thunderbolt the ball rattled off my head and went straight into the top right hand corner of the goal. 

I felt many things - the thrill of a goal, the shock of being hit with a ball quite hard in the head, the smarting pain of being hit with a ball quite hard in the head, the disbelief that that it had hit me and went right in the corner, the adulation and laughter of my team mates, really a curious admixture of something unpleasant and something brilliant happening to me at the same time.

Something similar happened to me later bringing my career header goals total to 2.

Played football every day as a youngster but my first memorable goal was at primary school.

There was two schools, one Catholic and ours. We both went for break to the nearby blaze pitch. Maybe once or twice a term there would be a mass game of school vs school. There was about twenty a side on a full size pitch with two goalkeepers and you had to dodge games of hopscotch or whatever the lassies were up to. To describe it as a shitfest would be generous however I managed to melt an old leather ball with flaps hanging off it into the top corner on a half volley and win the game just as the bell went.

Lived off that moment for the rest of the term but never recaptured the early promise.

Can still remember vividly the wee fat guy in goals falling on his arse trying to save it. 

Archived