Your first ever football goal.

2 hours ago, Ayr_United_1910 said:

First competitive goal came in a game for my first boys club team about 3 weeks after my first competitive game.  Under 8's age group.

We'd play on Saturday mornings at 9.30am on grass, 7 a sides.  I would then go to my Grans for something to eat & head back down to the 5 a side complex for 12.30pm for the afternoon games.  My first goal came in a game in the afternoon against a team called Coylton Colts.  Our team, Prestayr, were dominating the match & everyone & their dug was scoring.  I fancied a piece of the action, so ventured forward from my defensive position, wandered to the edge of the box, right in the middle, someone hit a shot, goalie saved it, ball rolled to my feet & I toe poked it into the roof of the net.  Felt absolutely fantastic.  Two minutes later, glowing with confidence, I strolled up the park again, this time shouting for a pass from the same position, received it & battered another one into the top right side of the net.  Head trebled in size that day.  Think we won the game 24-2 or something like that, but I scored 2 goals & absolutely everyone who came into contact with me after that was told about it.

That's great, but I can't help but feel the bit about playing 7s in the morning then going to your gran's for something to eat had nothing to do with the story. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/19/2017 at 19:05, Dee Man said:

That's great, but I can't help but feel the bit about playing 7s in the morning then going to your gran's for something to eat had nothing to do with the story. 

All about building a picture of my footballing childhood to be honest.  It's all about the pointless detail.

Can't remember my first, can remember my last. Was playing for a Hearts supporters team against a likewise from Motherwell. Had got heavily smashed the night before as I didn't expect to play. However, fate was to cast a curious die that morning. A left back by trade, due to my crippling lack of pace, athleticism, and talent - yet particularly adept at kicking f**k out of wingers - the gaffer decided to treat me and started me left midfield. To cut a long story short, it was forty minutes of torture for me, the 40 litres of lager pishing out my pores, my team mates, and indeed my ancestors gazing down from heaven. However, then, a corner. Ball comes across, I evade the defenders (no c**t bothered to mark me) and bulleted a header (ball smashed off my face) past the diving goalkeeper. Still absolutely blazing, I ran 20 yards to our sideline, screaming and flicking the V's at the manager, our subs and hangers on, then ran back and did it again. Our captain went nuts at me to get back into position as the game had kicked off again, I trundled back over, spewed, and was subbed. They never played me at left midfield ever again. 8)

Epilogue: Was 2-1 for us at half time when I went off. We won 20-3. Total defensive collapse on our part without me. Just saying.

First of 4 goals in one season for my school team in 6th was an absolute beauty. I usually play out wide but it was the one and only time I've played up front. Ran on to a through ball from the centre half, have no pace so pinged it into the top bin from 30 yards, in a 9-1 defeat :lol:. Cracked the post a ridiculous amount of times for my uni team too. Raging I went 4 seasons without a goal for them. 

I think I scored a grand total of 3 goals at Primary school football for Kincardine O' Neil.  Being tall meant a lot of time spent in defence and goals.  I do remember scoring my first goal which was for our B team against Finzean.  I vaguely remember kicking the ball and it ending up in the net but not much else.  I spent the rest of the match constantly looking at my parents and celebrating!

I remember at primary school I used to walk about the playground, pretty much in a world of my own while imagining I was in a computer game like Resident Evil or whatever the f**k. Didn't give a toss about football until first year of secondary school, for whatever reason. Circa primary 3 or 4 I was, as usual, aimlessly wandering about the playground while everyone was playing football. Was just walking past the concrete wall where the goal was painted on and, as if by fate, the ball somehow ended up at my feet with no sign of a goalkeeper (I think sometimes at playtime it was a nightmare getting anyone to go in goal and stay there at primary school level). With a few voices ringing in my ear screaming at me to shoot I proceeded to toe bang a magnificent, Dirk Kuyt esque wondergoal from about 3 yards into the """goal""". Cue absolutely wild celebrations as about 5 or 6 boys mob around me and pile on me to celebrate, to my bemusement.

I celebrated by walking off, already back in my own world, pretending to be Bruce Lee. Great days.

edit: other than that my fondest memory of playground footie was at secondary school. A wee game of football on a rare day of glorious sunshine, I was in goal and not only saved a penalty but contorted myself to manage an awkward scorpion kick to scrape the mishit, rebounded effort over the bar, resulting in me going in full-on "Diego Maradona scoring while high on coke" levels of celebratory madness, from a combination of hormones and adrenaline. I think we conceded from the resulting corner kick. I didn't give a shit.

I must've been about 8 or so, playing for Westfield Boys Club. We were utter shite and I don't think they ever won a game in the 2 years I was with them. We were playing Rossvale who were always one of the better teams with a half decent set up for that level. They must've scored at least 20 by this point (although the official score would only count the first 10), when we won a free kick on the wing. The ball got played into the box and it hit my arse to deflect it past the goalie. 

My only other goal came on my 10th birthday. Westfield v Kildrum.This game was a relatively close encounter by our standards, only being 3-0 down at the time. We got a corner that was headed out and came to me at the edge of the box. I took a touch to get it on my favoured left foot and released an absolute rocket into the bottom corner. Great scenes. It inspired a great comeback and the game finished 3-3 iirc. I also won a penalty that day but some other dickhead took it and ballooned it over the bar.

Inverclyde Boys Club v Dunoon Boys Club at Under 15s. Inverclyde and District Cup Semi Final of some sorts.

I had been the first choice (only) left back at our club for three years until, this year, some guy who was actually left footed joined. So I went from being 1st choice left back to playing in "whatever position across the back four the guy who hasn't turned up usually plays".  I wasn't bad, I wasn't great, but I was certainly quite defensive minded. Had probably only had three or four shots in the time before this miraculous day. Including one header from outside the box that hit the bar that still annoys me because I was already celebrating when I heard it "dink" and come back out... anyway...

I was a sub this day as, annoyingly, all the players who were better than me turned up. We were playing in the big stadium in Dunoon which, to 14 year old me, seemed like the pitch was the size of the Camp Nou. With about 15 minutes remaining, still 0-0 (or maybe 1-1?) gaffer hooks off the striker and tells me to just go upfront and "get in c***s way". For ten minutes the only c***s I got in the way off were my own players. I had no idea what I was doing up there. I had never played upfront before. Played right wing once in a 4-3-3 but leading the line? Unheard of. The fella who's just came off has went in the right huff and had a go at me coming on and, during the match, I could just hear him bitching about how shite I was upfront and how he'd have scored a hat trick by now. But I'm trying to be a nuisance and I'm chasing down every ball and defender and, to be honest, I'm already fucked even after ten minutes because I haven't stopped running.

Then wee Wullie Bonnar, on the left wing, cuts inside. I thought he took a bad touch but he swears it was a pass. It comes to me about 30-odd yards out and my strike partner is calling for it to my right but I'm so one footed I can't even begin to imagine how I'll make that pass facing the opposite direction. Ideally I'm waiting for Wullie to go back on the outside and release him down the wing but the lazy fucker just stands there giving me no pass and I'm too fucking tired to run with it. So I tap the ball forward and think "f**k it" and hammer the fucker. This is from a good 5-6 yards outside the penalty box D slightly to the left hand side of the pitch.

It's not quite a rocket of a shot but it's got a fair amount of power even if it looks like it's going over until the the last second when it dips and hits off the cross bar, then the post, and settles into the net. I lost my shit. I made Tardelli look like Marco Negri and, seeing as it was my first goal, in a cup final, and so on so does everyone else. I run toward the gaffer just to give the striker who came off the vicky and do a Rowan Alexander style forward roll but never get up because every other person in the team (apart from the striker who came off) has done a big piley on.

Was a sub for the final, came on around about the same time, and got sent upfront again and set up both our goals in extra time for a 3-1 win.

Solsjksaer style super sub cup heroics a plenty that season

My last game for 22nd BB Junior Section team ( i was about 12), end of season match on the red blaize pitches in Whiteinch Park.  Was playing left back & came upfield for a corner, I was about 20 yards out.  Defender headed the ball out & I caught it sweet as nut, top corner.

I scored a goal playing for my primary school team, Lochardil Primary, against Central Primary.  I played left midfield and was a bit timid but in the second half I just decided that I'd try and run really fast and put in loads of effort.  I won a few tackles and a few minutes after that, buoyed by my success, I ran through and hit a shot that bounced under the keepers dive into the net.  We didn't manage to hold on and eventually lost 4-2.  Looking back I kind of played down and if I'd applied myself a bit more and been a lot more forceful and confident I would've been a better player (I was never going to be very good).

I scored an absolute beauty for my youth league team when I was 15.  I played for Culduthel Wanderers, a team started by my mate, and we had a difficult first year, losing most of our games to more established teams.  There was a weaker team that we had as a target though and, playing in central midfield, we were bang up for it.  The guy I was playing against was much weaker and smaller than me and I kind of managed to have the run of midfield.  After about ten minutes I flew into a tackle on the sideline on  their full back and clattered into one of the coaches (John Beaton, if anyone is the same age as me from Inverness, a youth scout for Caley) and felt a big pain in my wrist, that had clattered into something in the tangle.  I played on but it was really sore and as the game was poised I didn't want to come off.  We got a corner from the right and I took it, I didn't clear the first man and the ball bounced back out to me - I hit it with the outside of my right foot at the near top corner and the keeper could only parry it into his own net.  I'd meant to cross it deeper but when I looked up the thought of shooting flashed through my mind and must've factored in how I'd hit it.  The goal set us up for our first ever win in the youth league.  I was subbed off midway through the second half and put a bandage on my wrist.  I went home and after a sleepless night with an aching wrist I went to hospital and found out it was broken.  I missed the next three or four games due to having a cast on.  

I was, and still am, relatively shite at football.

Never played for a team and was one of the last chosen for lunchtime games on the red gravel pitch (and even then usually stuck in goal). Usually we played the other class in our year in primary, but occasionally we mixed the teams. This was common when a new guy joined the other class and was streets ahead of the rest of us (was on Dundee's books at one point). Once in a while, we'd all challenge the year above.

Three distinct memories (not sure what was actually first) -

1. Scoring the only goal in a mixed game - a loose ball fell to me in the box and I gave it just enough power to go in. 1-0 wins were unheard of which is why it stands out,

2. Getting slagged by a few guys from the older class for being rubbish, then moments later heading home a cross over the lot of them. The pain of heading a Mitre 5 did not register in the euphoria.

3. A hat trick against the older class. Latched onto a duff pass back, volleyed home a low cross and curled my third into the top corner from about 15 yards.

One of the earliest goals I can remember was actually the second of a double against the other class in P3.  We'd play against each other every day and would always lead to kids crying and angry teachers.  As soon as the bell finished ringing it was full time was the general rule.

I to this day will always remember equalising with about a minute to go before immediately diving into a lunge on one of the other players at kick off. Won the ball as the bell started to ring and ran with the ball about 15 feet before smashing a daisy-cutter through the keeper's legs and in between the pile of jumpers.  By the time the bell had stopped I was already halfway down the hill towards the school being chased by about 8 angry opponents :lol:

Outwith school I played for a team called Townhill (formerly Touch Athletic....any non Dunfermliners will pronounce that weirdly...) and in about 8 seasons scored a solitary goal.  Against Elgin Star. Their defender mishit a clearance and sent the ball across the 6 yard box. I had a tap in on my left foot but for some reason took a touch before hitting a low shot with the outside of my right foot back across the keeper and into the far corner.  Messi wouldn't have attempted that.

My first ever football moment I recall was on a lunch break in P2 (I think) and I was wandering around myself. My primary school is situated right next to another (the glorious Commercial Primary School and St Margaret's) and share a blaze pitch.  One day I went up to see what was going on and it was the daily school battle between the two.  Can vaguely remember the ball coming towards me as I stood wondering why there was jumpers on the dirty ground. Scared the ball was gonna hurt me I bravely put a foot up and deflected the ball away for a corner, not realising that I'd basically just made a heroic goal line clearance in the big derby!  I was popular at school for a few weeks after it.

Perthshire Cub Scouts league for Invergowrie v Coupar Angus to seal a 2-0 win. A rare Friday night game as United were playing Motherwell in cup final next day.

Keeper parried it into my path and I buried it.

Had already scored two OGs that season mind.

First goal for school was a 30 yard (probably 8 yards) laser into the postage stamp against Kellyfield. What I remember about that game is despite being same age Invergowrie had about a foot and 2 stone on every one of the malnutritioned waifs in the Kellyfield team.

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

A gentleman never tells.

Reveal hidden contents

She did look a bit like Jim Weir the more I think about it. 

It sounds very romantic. I had a first date at a park bench just outside Townhill, looking down towards East End Park. Didn't get very far with the girl who would become my girlfriend but her pal kept helping me do up/down my button flies when I needed a slash.

Outwith school I played for a team called Townhill (formerly Touch Athletic....any non Dunfermliners will pronounce that weirdly...) and in about 8 seasons scored a solitary goal.  Against Elgin Star. Their defender mishit a clearance and sent the ball across the 6 yard box. I had a tap in on my left foot but for some reason took a touch before hitting a low shot with the outside of my right foot back across the keeper and into the far corner.  Messi wouldn't have attempted that.

Depending on your age, we may have played against each other. I don't recall a team called Townhill Athletic (or Touch Athletic) but my memory is dreadful.

1 minute ago, NorthernJambo said:

Depending on your age, we may have played against each other. I don't recall a team called Townhill Athletic (or Touch Athletic) but my memory is dreadful.

Was just Townhill.  I originally played for Touch and then they merge with Townhill to form an elite side which still came in the bottom 3 every season :lol:  You're talking about mid-90's to early 00's.

I scored 2 goals in my whole professional career (assuming we are not talking about 5 a sides). Both came in the same game, my last ever 7 a side game at u11s.

First one was a header from a corner which I remember went in at the near post. Second one came in the second half but can't mind much about it. I retired from the pro game at 14.

Main memory of the game in question was that we were playing for the first time with the France 98 ball and it remains my favourite to this day because of the glorious double I scored.

2f839068f17fed7baf68681075ab2ba9.jpg

Archived