The Season So Far Better or Worse Than you Thought

12 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Did you start this thread so you could slap yourself on the back?

6 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Yes

I don't think it would matter when the OP started this topic, we'd still be slapping ourselves on the back compared to last season! :thumsup2

Brechin are good at slapping diddies about this season but when it came to the big game they utterly failed I would expect them to disappear promptly.

Exactly where I expected us to be, up there challenging. We have built a decent team, we've slipped up against the two newly promoted sides although where a unlucky to lose at Hampden, if I'd been offered 18 points after 8 I'd have been more than happy. 

53 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Exactly where I expected us to be, up there challenging. We have built a decent team, we've slipped up against the two newly promoted sides although where a unlucky to lose at Hampden, if I'd been offered 18 points after 8 I'd have been more than happy. 

Really!!

With Hopkin still our manager I wasn't at all confident of challenging up the top, been a big surprise to me that he's put a good balanced team together and generally played them in their best positions. Last season he had players playing all over the place and we looked a mess.

Mullen has exceeded my expectations too, always knew he had potential to score lots of goals but he hasn't progressed any from two seasons ago until now, maybe dropping down a league has helped right enough but he's looking stronger on the ball now and you can see he's bulked up a bit too. Pittman has also been a big surprise, he's scoring some fantastic goals from midfield, the whole team has looked good going forward in most of our games and been scoring goals from all over and not just solely relying on our strikers, something else we weren't doing last season.

A lot better, to be honest. Thought the first two games would be a real struggle for us, but I was surprised the way they panned out. We've built upon it and whilst we've dipped in the past two weeks, we're still a lot closer to the top than I thought we would be.

Will be interesting to see if Brechin can continue this run on for the rest of the season, or if anyone else can make a break up the league. I would've said East Fife as dark horses after the first quarter, but their result yesterday surprised me.

26 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Really!!

With Hopkin still our manager I wasn't at all confident of challenging up the top, been a big surprise to me that he's put a good balanced team together and generally played them in their best positions. Last season he had players playing all over the place and we looked a mess.

Mullen has exceeded my expectations too, always knew he had potential to score lots of goals but he hasn't progressed any from two seasons ago until now, maybe dropping down a league has helped right enough but he's looking stronger on the ball now and you can see he's bulked up a bit too. Pittman has also been a big surprise, he's scoring some fantastic goals from midfield, the whole team has looked good going forward in most of our games and been scoring goals from all over and not just solely relying on our strikers, something else we weren't doing last season.

Yep

I watched us pre season and throughout the league cup games and I felt we had the makings of a decent side. 

I also felt looking around the league that our squad is the strongest, I'm not necessarily saying we have the best 11 but we have a very strong squad, with players that can come in that won't effect the team when the injuries start coming.

There is no doubt we struggled under Hopkin last season, I'm still to be convinced by him, his decision to start with the line up he did on Saturday was baffling but he rectified that very quickly and I'm more than willing to give him a chance, as I say 18 points is a decent return and if we win against Albion 21 point from 27 is an excellent return.

My only concern at the start of the season was the defence but generally they've been very solid, I've been comfortable with Crighton and Lithgow at the centre and as you say Mullen and Pittman have been on fire. 

Brechin and Alloa have been superb though and deserve a lot of credit, they won't go away and we need to keep doing what we are doing to win the league.

I saw all our pre season games and cup games too but still wasn't confident we'd be where we are just now, really don't see how anyone could. Esp with the way Alloa was doing in those games compared to us too, they hadn't lost a game in all comps till we beat them. As Afro said the first two games in the league were a bit of a surprise, we blew them away scoring for fun.

The 2nd quarter should be a bit harder for us, the teams we won quite comfortably against in the first quarter will be a bit harder the 2nd time around.

The 2nd quarter should be a bit harder for us, the teams we won quite comfortably against in the first quarter will be a bit harder the 2nd time around.

What about the teams that won against you quite comfortably in the first quarter???[emoji6]

We're doing about as well as I'd hoped; you never know for sure before the season starts. There's always the nagging doubt that everything's going to go tits up.

Seems like we all have our vulnerabilities, so it looks like we're in for a close race.

7 hours ago, King Kebab said:

What about the teams that won against you quite comfortably in the first quarter???emoji6.png

Team, there was only the one team that won comfortably against us, but same goes in reverse, expect us to do better against East Fife. Esp as that will be a home game. The QP defeat was a close one and we were denied an onside goal, but i'd also expect us to do better playing at home in the next game.

Well we're not in the bottom 2 at the moment, so will obviously be delighted if that remains the case at the end of the season. However we've now lost 4 in a row so it looks like we're now in a relegation battle which is what most fans thought would be the case. Most opposition fans did anyway 

Archived