Ref Watch

JIML

Refs seem to be getting a bit of a roasting atm across the board. However there must be some good performances somewhere,  how did they do yesterday? 

We had Calum Scott at Auchinleck. Thought he done well, called the game well and let it flow. Can't see any complaints from either side. 

I watch about 8-10 Junior games a season, and I'm always shocked at how dire the standard of refereeing is in comparison to the guys we get at Falkirk in the Championship. The worst refs are the smug young guys who either think it's all some sort of wind up, or other young guys who try to be overly demonstrative to get a good report and an accelerated promotion.

Guy at beith game wanted to be centre of attraction got a lot of calls wrong infuriating both sides booked Sheridan for first challenge then allowed several players a lot more Lee way from both sides and cud of cracked down on pollok time wasting which in the end came back to haunt them as beith equalised in 94th minute overall felt ref didn't have best day at office

The officials at Kilbirnie Ladeside v Kilwinning Rangers yesterday,were Chris Gentles (Ref).Kevin McElhinney (Asst 1),& Gary MAClean (Asst 2). All three of the guys had a really good game,tbh. Chris was maybe a little "card happy",showing yellow to both sets of players,unnecessarily imo;as it was nowhere near a 'dirty' game.

16 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I watch about 8-10 Junior games a season, and I'm always shocked at how dire the standard of refereeing is in comparison to the guys we get at Falkirk in the Championship. The worst refs are the smug young guys who either think it's all some sort of wind up, or other young guys who try to be overly demonstrative to get a good report and an accelerated promotion.

How is it at all surprising that the refereeing at junior level is different from the second tier of senior football?

How is it at all surprising that the refereeing at junior level is different from the second tier of senior football?

Maybe I didn't word it very well - I'm surprised at the scale of the drop in quality. I also feel there are many more referees looking to make a name for themselves at Junior level as opposed to the focus being on the teams.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Maybe I didn't word it very well - I'm surprised at the scale of the drop in quality. I also feel there are many more referees looking to make a name for themselves at Junior level as opposed to the focus being on the teams.

There's a significant drop in quality in the level of football...

Normally the best referees are the ones nobody talks about after the match.

Have to highlight what we are dealing with here our captain scored in the penalty shoot looked over towards neutrals and Rob Roy fans gestured 'get in ' use his arm (incidentally and not being funny was only a small handful of Shettleston fans at the game and nowhere near where he was looking) and was given a red card resulting in him being told sorry you can't come out lift the cup as the captain utterly pathetic by all involved, granted ï am a bit biased but come on guys have any of the match officials or beaks ever played the bloody game.

19 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Worked OK for that tit Andrew Dallas so the others will no doubt be trying to copy his style in hope of progression unfortunately. The problem is that these guys don't see themselves as Junior refs and treat it as a work experience placement for a year or 2. 

I think a lot of the overly demonstrative gesturing and behaviours is something to do with how they'll look when they hit Grade 1 and get to do TV games. They're probably imagining they're doing the CL final as they book that Ardeer player for dissent in front of 2 men and a dug. 

17 minutes ago, rednblack said:

Have to highlight what we are dealing with here our captain scored in the penalty shoot looked over towards neutrals and Rob Roy fans gestured 'get in ' use his arm (incidentally and not being funny was only a small handful of Shettleston fans at the game and nowhere near where he was looking) and was given a red card resulting in him being told sorry you can't come out lift the cup as the captain utterly pathetic by all involved, granted ï am a bit biased but come on guys have any of the match officials or beaks ever played the bloody game.

I was behind the goal and it was 100% a "Yass!" type of gesture rather than a "GIRUY". He didn't even appear to mouth anything that would suggest it was abusive.

The only other thing I can think of is that the ref thought it was aimed at the Shettleston keeper but, again, I really don't think it was, and it would be some game if players were consistently red carded for bamming one another up. 

Anyway, apart from probably earning KRR a small fine it will have had absolutely no bearing on anything other than the ref's reputation. 

Archived