Punk/Ska/Reggae

Girth

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 00:13, Deplorable said:

Screeching Weasel is the best punk band.

Early Screeching Weasel is particularly good. However, Ben Weasel comes across as an absolute dildo.

Other bands in that camp worth a shout are The Queers, Mr T Experience, The Lillingtons and The Mopes. Check 'em out.

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 23:31, tree house tam said:

Got some great old ska vinyl for Christmas. Symarip, Desmond Dekker, Toots, soulmates (pioneers), slickers, laurel aitken and I even got a Jackie Wilson single too. Cheered me up no end.

Good stuff mate.

Couple of modernish bands you might like...

The Skoidats

Hub City Stompers

Zen Baseballbat

The Tone

Chris Murray

Aggrolites

The Slackers

The Interrupters

47 minutes ago, Girth said:

Early Screeching Weasel is particularly good. However, Ben Weasel comes across as an absolute dildo.

Other bands in that camp worth a shout are The Queers, Mr T Experience, The Lillingtons and The Mopes. Check 'em out.

Love Ben Weasel. Legend. I'm a fan of every Weasel record, but you are right that a couple of their early records are great. Boogada and My Brian Hurts are classics.

I know all those bands. Wasn't what you'd classify as a music guy, but I did listen to a fair amount of punk rock when I was younger. Those 90s "Ramonescore" bands mainly. The Queers are of course great. 1b to Screeching Weasel's 1a in that genre. Mr T Experience were hit and miss. Can't say I was a big fan of the Lillingtons and Mopes. I did like the Huntingtons a bunch. Were their any UK based bands along those lines? I can't recall ever running into any.

12 minutes ago, Deplorable said:

Love Ben Weasel. Legend. I'm a fan of every Weasel record, but you are right that a couple of their early records are great. Boogada and My Brian Hurts are classics.

I know all those bands. Wasn't what you'd classify as a music guy, but I did listen to a fair amount of punk rock when I was younger. Those 90s "Ramonescore" bands mainly. The Queers are of course great. 1b to Screeching Weasel's 1a in that genre. Mr T Experience were hit and miss. Can't say I was a big fan of the Lillingtons and Mopes. I did like the Huntingtons a bunch. Were their any UK based bands along those lines? I can't recall ever running into any.

You know your stuff mate! Impressive.

Well, around that time a lot of local bands were trying to sound American which was horrible really.

I remember a particularly good Welsh/German act from the late nineties who were on that level called Section 8. I had their demo and it was classic stuff.

Other strong UK bands that tried to follow that route were probably on the 'Greetings from the welfare state' compilation which I used to own. Joe 90/Goober Patrol/Road Rage/Consumed/Snuff.

I always rated Snuff and their various incarnations (Guns 'N' Wankers/Dogpiss/Snuff). Consumed were also vastly underrated.

More recently AFS (Arthritic Foot Soldiers) were good and most of the pop stuff on the labels they were involved with.

I'm not so familiar with UK pop punk these days.

Are you a fan of Masked Intruder?

Of the top of my head particularly good poppy punk bands were:

Oskar (did two albums on Epitaph)

Descendents/All (the best)

Masked Intruder (classic)

Dr Frank (MTX solo)

GG Allin (first album)

Vanilla Muffins

99% of my exposure to punk bands these days is listening to Marky Ramone's XM radio show if I happen to be in my car when it's on. He plays Masked Intruder but I can't say I'm a fan. I'm vaguely aware of Snuff and Goober Patrol. Probably heard them on a comp or something. Guns n Wankers! That's a classy name.

I prefer the GG Allin that shits on himself and rapes people to the GG Allin trying to make pop tunes.:)

99% of my exposure to punk bands these days is listening to Marky Ramone's XM radio show if I happen to be in my car when it's on. He plays Masked Intruder but I can't say I'm a fan. I'm vaguely aware of Snuff and Goober Patrol. Probably heard them on a comp or something. Guns n Wankers! That's a classy name.
I prefer the GG Allin that shits on himself and rapes people to the GG Allin trying to make pop tunes.[emoji4]

GG!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember the day I first heard 'Gangsters' by the Specials played on the radio. Just about riveted me to the spot. 

I never did see them live. I hadn't been to any gigs since some fairly awful ones at Strathclyde students union in 1971/72. 

Fast forward to early 1980. I was working in Dublin, and went to see Madness. The place was almost pitch black, and heaving

with bodies. I think 'Night Boat to Cairo' was in the charts. Green Onions being played over the PA. Then the sax riff of 'One Step beyond'

blasted out, and it was on.

Absolutely wonderful. Best gig I've ever been to. 

Saw Bad Manners around about then too, really good actually. And the support act for them was The Dolly Mixture, 3 girls who later

featured in Captain Sensible's song, 'Happy Talk'. The girls didn't take kindly to the skinheads at the front of stage gobbing at them.

I went to see Selecter playing in a pub in Weston super Mare about 10 years ago. They'd played an accoustic set at the Hammersmith

Odeon, or Palais, a couple of days previously. Everyone knows their big hits.. 'Missing Words..', 'On my Radio' etc. 

However, I prefered the stuff on their second album.. 'Celebrate the Bullet'. The band broke up shortly afterwards. 

Here it is, the best Halloween song you'll ever hear.....

Edited by beefybake

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm an aging punk rocker (first gig was SLF in 1979) and I still listen to a lot of UK anarcho stuff (particularly Rudimentary Peni), but I'm really clueless about recent punk, Oi Polloi aside, who are still at it and very good. I like ska, but I don't love it. I do love reggae though. So here are a few favourites -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bam8IB6xJWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EB4UHWX6SA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=814pxbm6lqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_5v6jApdU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpKwhHAjORw

I've been listening to Mikey Dread quite a lot recently myself.

I'm an aging punk rocker (first gig was SLF in 1979) and I still listen to a lot of UK anarcho stuff (particularly Rudimentary Peni), but I'm really clueless about recent punk, Oi Polloi aside, who are still at it and very good. I like ska, but I don't love it. I do love reggae though. So here are a few favourites -

Not quite sure what your definition of 'recent punk' is but are you familiar with NoFX?

18 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Not quite sure what your definition of 'recent punk' is but are you familiar with NoFX?

I've heard of them, but I don't think I've ever actually heard them. I'm not one for waving the Union Jack, particularly these days, but I've always preferred British punk to American. There are a few exceptions, like MDC, the Fartz and the Feederz, but mostly I find it dull and generic.

Edited by Bedward

2 hours ago, Bedward said:

I've heard of them, but I don't think I've ever actually heard them. I'm not one for waving the Union Jack, particularly these days, but I've always preferred British punk to American. There are a few exceptions, like MDC, the Fartz and the Feederz, but mostly I find it dull and generic.

NoFX are pretty good IMO. Definitely have their own sound and often a bit of humour in their songs.

2 hours ago, Bedward said:

Hmm...plenty of good US stuff out there, too much to mention! 

For me, it's mainly about French/UK stuff these days - loads of quality stuff on UVPR but there's also some great US stuff, try the following bands:

Crown Court (brickwall Oi! from London)

No Time (Brutal Oi! from Pittsburgh)

Rixe (Fantastic French Oi!)

Dwarves (Still going, still rocking and still offensive!)

Janitors (77 style punk/Oi! from France)

Hub City Stompers - (Amazing Street Ska from the US)

I'll think of more but it's been a long week!

Oh wait, Masked Intruder - pop punk with bubblegum vocals but all their lyrics are about getting arrested/breaking the law/getting rejected.

29 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

NoFX are pretty good IMO. Definitely have their own sound and often a bit of humour in their songs.

Yeah - still going too. 

I've seen 'em live a few times. 

'Punk in Drublic', 'So long and thanks for all the shoes' and 'White trash, two heebs and a bean' are my faves by them. 

Try 'Osker' similar but harder - did a couple of albums on Epitaph - really underrated,