Punk/Ska/Reggae

Girth

16 minutes ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

Of course not is that really your point ? You can't be suggesting that because I prefer music with rhythm I shouldn't be listening to the Rejects . 

I didn't say you shouldn't, why would I? I said they were an unusual choice for someone with your stated preference. There's a hundred better reasons not to listen to them, before they played a note.

• 5 weeks later...
On 29 September 2016 at 15:35, Girth said:
Couldn't see a thread for this.

Anyone into these genres (particularly the sub genres like Psychobilly/Oi!/Hardcore) at all?

I'm looking ideally for decent new bands.

I can't seem to post videos properly but will put up some good stuff when I figure out how!

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Like a few hardcore punk bands. The Exploited's modern stuff, Cro-Mags, Minor Threat, Sick Of It All and Agnostic Front being particular favourites. Like some of Black Flag, The Dead Kennedys, Discharge and Husker Du's stuff as well.

Edited by 8MileBU

14 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Seen them a few times, but not a big fan. I always thought they were the punk Status Quo.

I seen The Damned a few weeks ago. A group for the more discerning old punk.

Yeah, Jimmy Pursey is a nightmare. They had a couple of good tunes but nothing more. Good message though.

Regarding new stuff, try Bishops Green from Canada (excellent punk tinged Oi!) and Hard Evidence from the US. Think you'd dig them.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I like the Damned but seen them live a few times and they are quite often a bit disappointing. Stiff Little Fingers and Buzzcocks tend to still put on a good show, though I'd say the best punk gig I've ever been to was the Pistols at Brixton Academy.

I've seen The Damned a few times and they were never disappointing- what was it about their gigs that let you down?

About the best punk band I saw live were Killing Joke in Glasgow- they were very intense.

21 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Like a few hardcore punk bands. The Exploited's modern stuff, Cro-Mags, Minor Threat, Sick Of It All and Agnostic Front being particular favourites. Like some of Black Flag, The Dead Kennedys, Discharge and Husker Du's stuff as well.

Hate the Dead Kennedys, always have, kiddy on American punk. The Exploited are more my wavelength, the newer stuff is more thrash metal I'd say. Got beat the b*****ds on in the car at moment. SLF and the Anti Nowhere League are in there too. ANL have been classed as a joke punk outfit by many but the live shows I've been at were brilliant.

On 12/11/2016 at 20:17, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't think their biggest fan would suggest they had rhythm though. So it's a surprising choice given your preference. They are of course, shite bar a few songs. Cock Sparrer who unfortunately get lumped in to that genre are a different story.

Cock sparrer are indeed a different story, love them. Always cringe when that song comes on though, being a proud Scotsman. When I was learning guitar I used to try and play it, changed the words obviously. 

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Cock sparrer are indeed a different story, love them. Always cringe when that song comes on though, being a proud Scotsman. When I was learning guitar I used to try and play it, changed the words obviously. 

I'm listening to Chelsea just now another criminally underrated group that didn't quite catch the ear of executives. They had a few "pop" tunes as good as the likes of The Buzzcocks or Generation X

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 17:03, tree house tam said:

Hate the Dead Kennedys, always have, kiddy on American punk. The Exploited are more my wavelength, the newer stuff is more thrash metal I'd say. Got beat the b*****ds on in the car at moment. SLF and the Anti Nowhere League are in there too. ANL have been classed as a joke punk outfit by many but the live shows I've been at were brilliant.

Do you like the band 'Fear' mate? Probably be up your street. Like a US ANL. Doses of attitude.  

Aye, The Exploited's more my kind of stuff as well, big fan of thrash metal so their crossover punk/thrash appeals.

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 09:29, 8MileBU said:

Aye, The Exploited's more my kind of stuff as well, big fan of thrash metal so their crossover punk/thrash appeals.

Could never get into The Exploited. Sounds like a dog barking next to some bins.