Punk/Ska/Reggae

Girth

Couldn't see a thread for this.

Anyone into these genres (particularly the sub genres like Psychobilly/Oi!/Hardcore) at all?

I'm looking ideally for decent new bands.

I can't seem to post videos properly but will put up some good stuff when I figure out how!

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

I'm into Hardcore punk - specifically Sick Of It All, H2O - not sure of any new bands.  I enjoyed Shai Hulud when I saw them supporting SOIA a few years back although they are not a new band.

Ska punk - I enjoy Snuff/Rancid/Skankin Pickle

Edited by marty_j

For those of you that liked the Two Tone take on Ska, The Selector are playing at Paisley Town Hall (yes, I know...) tomorrow night,

http://www.songkick.com/concerts/26763844-selecter-at-paisley-town-hall?utm_source=11593&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign=widget&utm_content=10237

Tickets are an eye watering £21.50, but that's probably because they know they're going to get a full house.

Doors open at 7pm, support act is Dogtooth.

Grew up late 70's early '80's   . Saw all the two tone bands back then including The Selecter . They were in fact my favourite two tone band, something to do with Pauline Black maybe. Loved all the early ska and used to collect the vinyl.

Loved the early first wave of Punk. My era. Never got in to the later stuff. Voice of a generation.

Try this classin Prince Buster track....always makes me smile !!

9 hours ago, McSpreader said:

Grew up late 70's early '80's   . Saw all the two tone bands back then including The Selecter . They were in fact my favourite two tone band, something to do with Pauline Black maybe. Loved all the early ska and used to collect the vinyl.

Loved the early first wave of Punk. My era. Never got in to the later stuff. Voice of a generation.

Try this classin Prince Buster track....always makes me smile !!

^^^This

I was lucky enough to be about during the first wave of Punk, it shaped my life. 

I've mellowed in my musical tastes somewhat but still hate Queen & all that other pretentious shite music for the middle classes. 

I had Later with Jools Holland on the telly last night & he had a punky duo on, I think the song was Spit It Out? Reminded me of the good Ol days (old fart warning). 

Reggae wise we used to listen to Yellow Man a lot. 

Still feels like I'm almost 16 again.

Grimbo 

• 1 month later...

Punk and Ska are probably the 2 genres I keep going back to. Whenever I'm looking at vinyl they're the first piles I look at. Although too young to see the Specials first time round I was first in the queue when they reformed. Suppose that was the benifit of having older brother and sisters. Got all their vinyl too. Met Madness in Camden when I was 8. I even got sent home from primary school aged 7 for having a Harrington with the nutty boy M on the back :lol:

Punk and Ska are probably the 2 genres I keep going back to. Whenever I'm looking at vinyl they're the first piles I look at. Although too young to see the Specials first time round I was first in the queue when they reformed. Suppose that was the benifit of having older brother and sisters. Got all their vinyl too. Met Madness in Camden when I was 8. I even got sent home from primary school aged 7 for having a Harrington with the nutty boy M on the back :lol:

Seen the Specials in Glasgow a few years ago. Totally wild!!

Was a massive Clash fan 77 to 82 and they got me into listening to folk like Dillinger, Big Youth, Mikey Dread and Junior Murvin, which I still listen to, to this day!
Saw the two tone tour at Ayr Pavilion in 79 with Specials, Madness and Selecter and this remains one of the best gigs I've been to in the last 40 years! B-)

10 minutes ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

A good gig , and it was . Doesn't mean I'm much of an Oi fan though . 

I don't think their biggest fan would suggest they had rhythm though. So it's a surprising choice given your preference. They are of course, shite bar a few songs. Cock Sparrer who unfortunately get lumped in to that genre are a different story.

18 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't think their biggest fan would suggest they had rhythm though. So it's a surprising choice given your preference. They are of course, shite bar a few songs. Cock Sparrer who unfortunately get lumped in to that genre are a different story.

Of course not is that really your point ? You can't be suggesting that because I prefer music with rhythm I shouldn't be listening to the Rejects .