Rovers v Queen's Park

14 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

I was wondering if these same fans have been watching a different team from me. Taking a 1-0 lead and then absorbing pressure has been a Albion Rovers trademark for sometime now - granted it's not pretty to watch

Queen's trademark is to let a lesser skilled team take advantage and then chase the game with endless passing before lobbing a ball into the centre where lightweight forwards battle bravely against giant defenders with little success. It's frustrating to watch.

We're a perfect compliment for you.

Couple of points for Gus to think about through the week. Why continue to tolerate central defenders trying to play 30-40 metre passes rather than passing through the zones? Virtually every time it happens we lose possession. If they were that good they wouldn't be playing for Queen's Park. 

And do we have anyone in the squad who is currently under-utilised who could perhaps be a gamekeeper turned poacher? Someone aggressive, good in the air and attacks the ball, decent first touch, thumping shot, pacy over short distance, knows how central defenders think. Somebody like that might be a better foil for the skilful and determined Zanatta. 

On 02/10/2016 at 16:05, Bring Your Own Socks said:

And do we have anyone in the squad who is aggressive, good in the air and attacks the ball, decent first touch, thumping shot, pacy over short distance?

yeah, I'm wondering why Malone has been dropped too, especially when we were playing so well at the start of the season with him leading the line (please excuse the artistic editing licence BYOS - just making a point)

21 hours ago, The Spider said:

yeah, I'm wondering why Malone has been dropped too, especially when we were playing so well at the start of the season with him leading the line

We were much better up front on Saturday when he came on. I was pleasantly surprised we started with 2 strikers but really surprised he went with Carter. Everything broke down in the final third. Not all the strikers' fault as the final ball and support from midfieId was poor. I think we've only created 2 decent chances in the last couple of games and both have fallen to Zanatta ( he produced good saves from the keepers tbf)

We've scored 5 league goals in total. 2 have been penalties and 1 an own goal. Pretty obvious why we're 3rd bottom

On 3 October 2016 at 18:24, The Spider said:

yeah, I'm wondering why Malone has been dropped too, especially when we were playing so well at the start of the season with him leading the line (please excuse the artistic editing licence BYOS - just making a point)

It wasn't Malone I was thinking of. Your edit was the clue.

10 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It wasn't Malone I was thinking of. Your edit was the clue.

Correct, well done on spotting that, but not so much of a clue as a statement. Still, you got there and that's the main thing. Anyway, if you genuinely believe that playing Bryan up front is the answer to our problems, then we have more problems than I first thought we had.

I'm still struggling to understand why Zanatta's loan spell is only for a month. It's not as temporary cover for an injury, and the boy is too lightweight to play Gus's favoured lone striker role. If Gus really rates him, then it can only be because Hearts won't initially loan him for longer. If he did great and was banging in the goals then Neilson would think "too easy" and then re-loan him to a Championship club. If he's struggling then they might extend it, but then we've wasted a month and would probably try elsewhere. Can anyone put me out of my misery and come up with a scenario that works for all parties, as so far I'm just not seeing it, especially when Malone had been playing very well up to that point

15 hours ago, The Spider said:

Anyway, if you genuinely believe that playing Bryan up front is the answer to our problems, then we have more problems than I first thought we had.

And there was me thinking you were a man of vision. You're really good at spotting problems. Try offering the solutions too. Our top scorer for the season at the moment is a centre-back. Sometimes when things are really tough, looking outside the box just isn't enough. Sometime you need to bin the box and start again.

It's hardly a new concept to have defenders scoring goals...

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Quinno was in defence that day so perhaps a clip of him scoring while up front would have been a better example to illustrate your point. Although before he was put up front by Speirs he was a midfielder. So in fact he was never a defender played up front ( discounting Gus flinging him up from the back in an attempt to save the odd game, like the play off at Stennie)

TBF if things don't improve quickly in the striking department I'm open to anything

17 hours ago, The Spider said:

I'm still struggling to understand why Zanatta's loan spell is only for a month. It's not as temporary cover for an injury, and the boy is too lightweight to play Gus's favoured lone striker role. If Gus really rates him, then it can only be because Hearts won't initially loan him for longer. If he did great and was banging in the goals then Neilson would think "too easy" and then re-loan him to a Championship club. If he's struggling then they might extend it, but then we've wasted a month and would probably try elsewhere.

Is it because he was signed outwith the transfer window? In those circumstances you used to be able to get folk in on "emergency" loans for 3 months. Maybe they have changed the rules on that.

Archived