Caley Thistle Thread 1994 - 2017

Narey's Toepoker on Twitter (who's usually pretty reliable) reckons that a decision on Foran will be made tomorrow.  With Kenny Cameron gone, I would the chances of Foran being retained, even after relegation, have diminished.  Cameron and Foran are big friends and had Cameron wanted him sacked, it almost certainly would've happened by now.

Who'd I want?  I've always been quite intrigued by Paul Telfer, who was very close to getting the job when Hughes did.  Maurice Malpas would be a disaster.  Paul Hartley I could live with without being overly enamoured of his appointment though I wouldn't be opposed to a foreign manager coming in.  In fact, the latter might be a very good thing - a completely new approach and completely new ideas.  No doubt though, when Foran does go, there'll be somebody calling for the return of John Robertson or Terry Butcher.  No thanks. 

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Narey's Toepoker on Twitter (who's usually pretty reliable) reckons that a decision on Foran will be made tomorrow.  With Kenny Cameron gone, I would the chances of Foran being retained, even after relegation, have diminished.  Cameron and Foran are big friends and had Cameron wanted him sacked, it almost certainly would've happened by now.

Who'd I want?  I've always been quite intrigued by Paul Telfer, who was very close to getting the job when Hughes did.  Maurice Malpas would be a disaster.  Paul Hartley I could live with without being overly enamoured of his appointment though I wouldn't be opposed to a foreign manager coming in.  In fact, the latter by a very good thing - a completely new approach and completely new ideas.  No doubt though, when Foran does go, there'll be somebody calling the return of John Robertson or Terry Butcher.  No thanks. 

I've never understood why some people want to go back to previous appointments it doesn't make sense. However could we chance another rookie manager? I think I've said before, what's Russell Latapy up to these days?

13 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

Now that Willie has been confirmed as Kenny Cameron's replacement, hopefully within 24-48hrs a decision regarding Richie can have been made.

Imho he has to go, his comment about bad apples was just ludicrous and imho, shows he's lost the dressing room plus even Michael Stewart and Steven Thompson say it'd be mad if he remains, Michael stating that we WON'T come right back up with him at the helm.

Some on Caleythistleonline forum seem to favour Darren Dods, imho, not a bad shout, give him Barry Wilson or Charlie Christie as assistant but I can't see him leave Brechin nor do I see us paying for him.

Others mention Paul Hartley, that's a no from me, Paul Sheerin: again compensation issue but I'd be in favour of him or Mo Malpas: Please god, NO.

Despite the compensation issue, I'd vote for Darren Dods for manager and hopefully he succeeds in getting us straight back up :).

Are you not banned from posting on CTO nowadays?

4 minutes ago, CityDave said:

I've never understood why some people want to go back to previous appointments it doesn't make sense. However could we chance another rookie manager? I think I've said before, what's Russell Latapy up to these days?

Latapy I believe is manager of the Trinidad and Tobago U18s (or something like that).  By all accounts though, he was very lazy when he was with us hence why he was punted.

No issue with Malpas as assistant or fulfilling some other coaching role but the thought of him as manager sends a chill down my spine. As a manager in his own right he's absolutely abysmal. Horrendous.

2 hours ago, CityDave said:

Are you not banned from posting on CTO nowadays?

Yes lol but I can still go on and browse so maybe not totally banned otherwise I'd not be able to browse the forum.

Fwiw and maybe others will agree, its better that way so I can't look for arguments lol, I do here though but that's because I like conflict hahaha.

I bet you peeps are good peeps though.

Oh Shaun, I dread to think how many on CTO you've whooshed with your schtick.

To keep that level of characterisation over a sustained period is staggering.

In a place where Charles Bannerman (thinks more of the same with a dash of part timers is the answer) feels like he is some sort of sage, I suppose it's been an easy one to pull off.

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 07:16, CityDave said:

I'm going to take a wild swing at this and say imagine if Richie Foran was punted, but instead of losing his employment with ICT he was moved upstairs?

I'm pretty sure Richie Foran as a player was our biggest earner, his wage as manager might be as much if not even more than Butcher or Hughes???

I can see something like a compromise here to allow someone else to come in and take the managers post and the club avoid taking the hit over compensation. Richie Foran in a Graham Bennett role?

Could Foran do the Graham Bennett role properly?

It's not avoiding a compensation hit if he's promoted into a job he can't do or a sinecure. 

20 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

what's Russell Latapy up to these days?

I'm sure that Russell will be enjoying a cocktail and Limin in the Crews Inn in Chaguaramas right now so it's unlikely you would see him back here.

14 hours ago, sophia said:

In a place where Charles Bannerman (thinks more of the same with a dash of part timers is the answer) feels like he is some sort of sage, I suppose it's been an easy one to pull off.

Dear old Barley Chatterman, a journo and science teacher to boot, a life of fact and fiction.

15 hours ago, sophia said:

5 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Dear old Barley Chatterman, a journo and science teacher to boot, a life of fact and fiction.

Holder of the 'Worst Poster' award also. If you don't challenge his views, you can't complain about him airing them on the site.

Holder of the 'Worst Poster' award also. If you don't challenge his views, you can't complain about him airing them on the site.

He's well worthy of that award. A complete roaster and the shite he writes in highland news is woeful. An absolute c*nt of a man

Something that popped into my mind earlier about CTO was that time one poster created their own animated series called 'The Adventures of Plank' about a walking, talking plank of wood. I think it was supposed to be funny. It was horrendous.

On 25/05/2017 at 02:15, Caley Shaun said:

Now that Willie has been confirmed as Kenny Cameron's replacement, hopefully within 24-48hrs a decision regarding Richie can have been made.

Imho he has to go, his comment about bad apples was just ludicrous and imho, shows he's lost the dressing room plus even Michael Stewart and Steven Thompson say it'd be mad if he remains, Michael stating that we WON'T come right back up with him at the helm.

Some on Caleythistleonline forum seem to favour Darren Dods, imho, not a bad shout, give him Barry Wilson or Charlie Christie as assistant but I can't see him leave Brechin nor do I see us paying for him.

Others mention Paul Hartley, that's a no from me, Paul Sheerin: again compensation issue but I'd be in favour of him or Mo Malpas: Please god, NO.

Despite the compensation issue, I'd vote for Darren Dods for manager and hopefully he succeeds in getting us straight back up :).

You have to look at what these people would bring to Inverness, none of the above you mention I would like to see as manager of our club or as an assistant. Hartley was effective at bringing Dundee up and they had a good couple of seasons, but after that it all went a bit stale. Dods is the flavour of the month right now after only two games!!, I find the enthusiasm to bring him here a bit fickle, how would he do at a bigger club and would he be able to recruit the players we need not only to go back up but also stay up and make some sort of impact in the top league? Would he be able to find another Jonny Hayes or Josh Meekings? He didn't exactly impact when he took over at Brechin as they struggled to stay up last season and this season they improved but only enough to just claim a play off place. I have doubts he is the man for the job right now.

Why Paul Sheerin, didn't he leave Arbroath after they were relegated to League 2?

There is always a tendency to look back at those who were here and successful and wish them back as if they would wave a magic wand and we would go back to the good times, but as with everything it all moves on. I'm hoping that if Richie does leave the new manager can bring something a bit different and also have good connections in England so we can have a wider range of players to recruit from than we have done over the last few years.

Sadly, I suspect that, due to financial constraints, Foran will remain in place as manager, and will be assisted by Malpas.,

The club will no doubt argue that this was Foran's first season in the job, and that there were some optimistic signs towards the end of our league programme - unfortunately, as we all know,  it was too little too late.

Unless someone comes along with a meaningful injection of cash it's hard to see many other options.

It seems we are in a better financial situation to deal with relegation according to former director Richard Smith, I hope he proves to be correct.

Former Caley Thistle director Richard Smith allays fears over club's future with fresh investment in the pipeline

Written byJamie Durent

Richard Smith (far left), with ICT Trust directors Alan Sellar and David Stewart and Caley Thistle director Alan McPhee. Picture: Ken Macpherson.
Richard Smith (far left), with ICT Trust directors Alan Sellar and David Stewart and Caley Thistle director Alan McPhee. Picture: Ken Macpherson.

FRESH investment in Caley Thistle is likely in the wake of their relegation to the Championship.

Former club director Richard Smith believes there are moves going on behind the scenes to offset any losses incurred by the drop and to stabilise the club.

There is also potential for reshuffles at boardroom level, following the resignation of chairman Kenny Cameron.

Mr Smith predicts the Caley Jags will need up to £500,000 to cover the costs of relegation, which is likely to come from a number of long-term investors. It cost the club £900,000 the last time they went down in 2009 but parachute payments and the money saved from Tulloch gifting three stands back to the club should reduce that amount.

Mr Smith, who was on the board for five years and is the managing director of Allied Soutar & Jaffrey, is anticipating a number of changes as the club prepares for life in the Championship after Hamilton’s 4-0 win over Dundee condemned Caley Thistle to bottom spot in the league.

“I think there are moves to try and get new blood and money into the club to take it forward and change the current climate,” said Mr Smith, who resigned from his position on the board last month.

“I don’t think it will be from one particular source, more likely an amalgamation of people in the past who have supported the club.

“The good thing is with the gifting of the stands from Tulloch, that’s like having a substantial six-figure investment in the club. When that happens, it will stop a large rental going out.

Kenny Cameron stepped down as chairman at a board meeting on Monday night.
Kenny Cameron stepped down as chairman at a board meeting on Monday night.

“I would think somewhere between £400,000-£500,000 investment is needed (with relegation). It’s not a figure that’s impossible to raise with the people that are involved. The club probably needs about £200,000-£250,000 additional investment each year but with the stands going back, that’s taken care of.”

He also moved to allay any fears about the long-term future of the club, which had been a source of speculation ahead of relegation.

There are warning signs however that change is needed throughout, rather than continuing in its current state. A board meeting was convened yesterday in the wake of Saturday’s events, with manager Richie Foran’s future believed to be one of the subjects up for review.

“Knowing what I know from when I left, I wouldn’t have worries about the long-term future of the club,” Mr Smith said.

“But it needs a bit of a restructure, with new blood and new ideas. You can’t write it off as a one-off and say it won’t happen again next season, or you’ll stagnate. I know there’s been talk about liquidation and if it’s gone down that quickly since I left the board, then something is very wrong!

"There was money in the bank and while there will be a loss of income stream from football matches, it won’t be £400,000. It’s dangerous when people make comments like that, without knowing the full picture.”

With Mr Cameron stepping down as chairman, it brings to an end nearly six years in the role.

Mr Smith joined the board in 2012 as a representative of Muirfield Mills, a consortium of ex-patriate Inverness businessmen who put a £250,000 cash injection into the club. It is understood they have no plans to cut back on their investment in Caley Thistle.

He expressed his support for Mr Cameron. However, there is a need for more openness from the club hierarchy in future, with Mr Smith adding that a lack of communication implied the board believed they got everything correct, which is not the case.

“I would like to think if a new regime comes in, there will be a different way of dealing with running the club,” he said. “It may be better with a more open discussion with the media, rather than the board looking like they feel they got things right and not talking about it.

Richard Smith, who has resigned his directorship of Caley Thistle.
Richard Smith, who resigned his directorship of Caley Thistle last month.

“Donnie Fraser was really acting as director of football before his passing and was making some seriously good progress. There needs to be a football person that will come in and do that and act as that liaison between the manager and the board.

“I really like Kenny; he’s there a minimum of 12 hours a day and you can’t condemn someone who does that for you.

“He must be in turmoil but what a job to take on.”

Mr Smith stressed he was not likely to be part of any future reshuffle at the club, having had no communication with it since his resignation at a board meeting last month.

“I’m in full support of the club in going forward but I resigned because the board wanted to go in a different direction [than I did]. When that happens, you can’t return. You can’t sit there and be at loggerheads.”

53 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Mulraney and Boden are free to leave apparently.  Boden's been trash.  Mulraney though has shown a bit of potential - I'd rather he was retained.

Well, that's two Foran signings away, both were signed until the end of next season.

Archived