East Fife v Stenhousemuir

On 01/10/2016 at 17:29, Moonglum25 said:

Great that we have got our first win of the season. We may not be dominating games at the moment but there is a spirit in the team where we are grinding results out. This should give our confidence a boost - wonder if some of our fans still think we are certs to go down.?

I still think the season's going to be a struggle but we're certainly in a better place now than we were two months ago. It might be worthwhile looking at what the concerns were after, say, we lost to Queen's Park on the opening day of the season and how they've been addressed.

• The goalkeeper
    • Colin McCabe probably enjoyed an easier ride than most when he came in to replace Jamie Barclay last season because i) he was excellent on his debut against Dunfermline Athletic and ii) he wasn't Jamie Barclay, but there were points when he looked a little ropy towards the end of the year. It appeared as though he carried his dodgy form into 2016/17 - he was poor in pre-season, especially when it came to cross balls and commanding his area, and there were points when it looked as though he should have been replaced (especially after the defeats to Queen of the South and Albion Rovers). But after decent displays against Peterhead and Alloa Athletic he looked to have turned that fabled corner, and it seems as though he was our man of the match against East Fife earlier today. I think that might have been his first clean sheet as a Stenhousemuir player. Fair play to him.
  • The defence
    • The addition of an out-and-out centre-back in David Marsh is certainly a step in the right direction (even if Marsh was directly responsible for Jim Goodwin's goal last week). For all Ross Meechan's qualities it always felt as though he was just filling in in the middle. Meechan's doing well enough at left-back for the moment, although having a left-footer out there will be better in the long term. Right now, however, we seem to have a solid-enough unit who seem to be developing an understanding.
  • The attack
    • At the beginning of the season we had the 35-year-old Colin McMenamin and Jack Smith as our only strikers. That was it. Such was the poverty of our attack I even predicted we would struggle to score more than 20 goals. Now we have added Oliver Shaw, Willis Alves Furtado and Alistair Roy to our ranks and fears of scoring have almost dissipated. McMenamin continues to play to a high standard and he's still our best forward, Shaw seems to have improved with every game and his goal against Alloa was just lovely, while Furtado looks like a diamond in the rough (I haven't seen enough of Roy to pass a judgement). The only negative is Smith who hasn't really looked like he's up to it at League 1 level whenever he's featured.
  • Squad depth
    • Earlier in the season we could only bring yung jobbers from the Forth Valley Football Academy off the bench. Now, we have guys like Ciaran Summers, Kieran Millar and Mark Gilhaney. That might not sound like an incredible range of options but it's certainly better than where we were.

A very frustrating afternoon. Stenhousemuir will be absolutely delighted to have emerged with three points and I can't blame them. We were under par for the duration of the game, despite forcing 17 corners and having the bulk of possession. The Warriors lived up to their nickname and defended resolutely throughout. Their goalie put in an inspired display but we need to do better when on the ball in terms of movement and decision-making middle to front. Other than the one out of character lapse from the gaffer we were sound at the back. Stenhousemuir fans will no doubt say that they were due a wee break and I actually don't blame them for running down the clock. I would expect my team to do exactly the same in the circumstances...  

McCabe was meant to be dropped recently, but James Howarth refused to play and was then told to leave. 

Colin McCabe was superb in goals, a lot better than he has been recently. A lot more commanding and coming out to clear balls. Still needs to be quicker with breakaways though.

7 hours ago, CEMSFC said:

McCabe was meant to be dropped recently, but James Howarth refused to play and was then told to leave. 

Colin McCabe was superb in goals, a lot better than he has been recently. A lot more commanding and coming out to clear balls. Still needs to be quicker with breakaways though.

Aye, I remember being told that a couple of weeks ago. I feel a little bit sorry for Howarth but by the same token, what's the point in having a goalkeeper who's not mentally able enough to start a game?

Tell you what, if he was able to catch the ball from a standing position without falling to the ground and then lying there till a count of ten he might be able to start breakaways quicker!!![emoji6]

What the hell was Naysmith thinking? Very unlike him and clearly a blatant handball.

It looks as though it was just one of those days where we wouldn't score despite a couple of good chances and the keeper pulling off some cracking saves.

We would all take 4th place after 8 games that's for sure.

Stenny have to get all the credit.  If you compare the highlights of Livi last week to that, you can clearly see a different set up from the opposition.  Livi allowed us space with a high line and Insall ripped them apart.  Stenny had their homework done and there was very little in the way of space to let Insall run wild.   

Stenny came to do a job, and they did it.  A brief flurry in the first 20 mins aside, we never really looked like scoring.  

What the hell was Naysmith thinking? Very unlike him and clearly a blatant handball.

It looks as though it was just one of those days where we wouldn't score despite a couple of good chances and the keeper pulling off some cracking saves.

We would all take 4th place after 8 games that's for sure.

According to today's papers Gary apologised to all players for his moment of madness, saying he was disorientated after head knock earlier. Clearly the better team lost but that's football. Stenhousemuir got their tactics bang on and that includes the blatant time wasting and we would have done the same in their position, excellent 3 points for them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2016 at 15:37, Dazzleman said:

Glad to see David Marsh getting a club at a higher level and proving Barry Ferguson wrong. Sad that a Clyde fan was allowed to walk away from the club he loves because of inept management 

Hi Dave.

Archived