Scot Gemmill picks his first under-21 squad

Bearwithme

The same Jai Quitongo who was released by Hamilton and Aberdeen in recent years. He seems to have found a wee bit of form this season but I don't expect him to become anything great. Hardie & McBurnie are much better IMO.

Quintogo chose to leave Accies, as he wanted to go to Aberdeen.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've watched plenty development football over the past few years and can honestly say Quitongo must have really improved since last year to suddenly think he's good enough for the under 21s. I've not saw him much this season at all but it seems just because a bid came in from Doncaster he is suddenly a superstar.

Hardie is a better player and someone I've saw progress for a number of years. At the moment he is in a poor St Mirren team but from what I've saw he is much better. For the person saying he's better than most 19 year olds at premiership clubs is laughable. I could name plenty playing in the under 20s league who are head and shoulders above him with far more potential. We will see what happens but I don't see the boy really going on to bigger and better things in the long term.

46 minutes ago, Aberdeen21 said:

I've watched plenty development football over the past few years and can honestly say Quitongo must have really improved since last year to suddenly think he's good enough for the under 21s. I've not saw him much this season at all but it seems just because a bid came in from Doncaster he is suddenly a superstar.

Hardie is a better player and someone I've saw progress for a number of years. At the moment he is in a poor St Mirren team but from what I've saw he is much better. For the person saying he's better than most 19 year olds at premiership clubs is laughable. I could name plenty playing in the under 20s league who are head and shoulders above him with far more potential. We will see what happens but I don't see the boy really going on to bigger and better things in the long term.

I'm not saying Quitongo is definitely going to go onto better things (just as I'm not saying that he's definitely good enough for Scotland u21s), but he's a player who has caused real problems for Championship and Premiership defences this season. Most of those playing at u20 level right now won't do that at any point in their career. 

He's not suddenly being cast as some superstar because there was a bid from Doncaster, it's because he has put in some really cracking performances this season, especially in the cup. He's strong, quick, and has scored some very good goals. Very raw around the edges - there will certainly be players out there with a better touch (Scullion for one), but he looks like the type of player with the attributes to go onto have a very good career. 

1 hour ago, Aberdeen21 said:

Was he playing as a winger when you were watching him? I ask as he appeared to have nothing about him at all in his first team appearances on the wing for us, but as soon as he moved to centre forward he started cracking half volleys into the top corner at will while 9ft brick shithouse centre backs bounce off him.

That said, I don't really think it's scandalous that he isn't in the under 21s - the problem isn't so much that Quitongo isn't there rather than many who are there being called up because of the size of their clubs or baseless media hype having done nothing in competitive football. Despite current form he shouldn't necessarily be ahead of someone like Hardie who played well at the same level Quitongo has started well at for half a season, but he should certainly be ahead of a player who has looked utterly hopeless at first team level to date like Craig Wighton.

If all the players ahead of him were playing and contributing for their clubs there'd be few complaints considering he's only just broken into first team football himself, but when the likes of Wighton can get a game some frustration is understandable.

Looks like yet another week in which 'Rangers loanee' Ryan Hardie hammered home his right to ninety minutes as an Under 21 cap by, erm, stinking the place out as a crap striker in the worst team in the Scottish Championship: as opposed to Jai Quitongo who once again totally ran the show for a much, much better side in the same division. 

I for one hope that Quitongo ditches Scotland in contempt very soon and commits to Portugal instead. Having the likes of Scott Gemmill and Rickie Sbragia play a shit version of Football Manager - selecting utter dung just because of their Celtic or Sevco contracts - is sufficient grounds to snub that type of international contest. 

Surely the point of the u21s is to instill a winning mentality they can then bring to the senior side?

This should mean picking the best/on formest players available.

Players like Craig Sibbald, baller supreme and soon to be hall of famer at the age of 21.

Rather than capping anyone eligible after a couple of decent games to give them experience of nothing more than getting chucked about for 90 minutes

The sooner the 21s get taken seriously instead of a boys jolly the sooner we'll see improvement at all levels

Alan Forrest 7 in 13 so far this season for a player who isn't an out and out striker.  Not saying he would be fantastic, but a young player in form, surely got to be better than the likes of Hardie who are in because of who they play for.

• 3 weeks later...

Wouldn' read much into that result.   Read an article last week,  Scotland picked a squad of players born in 1996 against Slovakia or whoever it was who are in the euros next year and had a squad born in1994.   Scotland are basically blooming a squad for the next campaign now, and two years at that age away to a decent side is massive they were always going to get pumped the result was immaterial. 

Archived