Scot Gemmill picks his first under-21 squad

Bearwithme

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really surprised to see Nesbitt start the other night. Gemmill obviously has a really strong view on who has the potential to really push on over the next couple of years, but we must be really missing out on something at Morton at the moment if Nesbitt has that potential. He talks about being brave and giving young players experience, hopefully he's actually got an eye for a player. 

Scott McTominay smashing it for Manchester United U23s not good enough for Scotland though lol.

Seems a bit odd, as he's been involved at younger age groups so must be known to the coaches. I suppose that matters little when there's young players from Celtic and Rangers who are sitting in the stands every week though..

On 9/28/2016 at 05:04, Grant228 said:

The young Morton striker Jai should definitely be in there. Looks better than both Hardie and Nesbit.

He's had like 4 good games for a poor Morton side.  Never turned up v us.  Jose in the paper apparently saying he'll chose Portugal soon :lol: I'm sure they know who he is:rolleyes:

The same Jai Quitongo who was released by Hamilton and Aberdeen in recent years. He seems to have found a wee bit of form this season but I don't expect him to become anything great. Hardie & McBurnie are much better IMO.

Absolute nonsense. Jai is going to the top which will be proved with two backflips at Hampden soon

39 minutes ago, Aberdeen21 said:

The same Jai Quitongo who was released by Hamilton and Aberdeen in recent years. He seems to have found a wee bit of form this season but I don't expect him to become anything great. Hardie & McBurnie are much better IMO.

The same Hardie who is currently stinking the division out at the bottom club, while Quitongo has been a stand-out performer for a much better side.

Not at all surprising to those who have watched the sand-dancer recently that he contributed absolutely nothing in your defeat. And wouldn't have got near the starting eleven at the moment if his parent club wasn't one of the bigots. 

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

He's had like 4 good games for a poor Morton side.  Never turned up v us.  Jose in the paper apparently saying he'll chose Portugal soon :lol: I'm sure they know who he is:rolleyes:

He was shoved out wide by Duffy for some reason in that game, and if you look at the highlights he still managed to create a couple of chances. For someone who has just turned 19, his start the the season has been exceptional. I was disappointed to lose Denny and McManus last season, but Quitongo will be (and probably already is) a better player than those two. 

1 hour ago, Aberdeen21 said:

Quitongo joined us as a 17 year old, it's not as if clubs don't make mistakes with players of that age. I bet Aberdeen regret their decision now. He's certainly better than most of the 19 year olds currently at Premiership teams.  

I wouldn't say that he has done enough exactly to demand to be called up to the under 21 squad, but when you look at some of the attacking players like Nesbitt and Hardie in there, I can understand why he might feel that he's playing better than them, is younger than them, and will go further in the game than them. But you must be right, those two are contracted at Celtic and Rangers, so they must be better :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

He was shoved out wide by Duffy for some reason in that game, and if you look at the highlights he still managed to create a couple of chances. For someone who has just turned 19, his start the the season has been exceptional. I was disappointed to lose Denny and McManus last season, but Quitongo will be (and probably already is) a better player than those two. 

I've watched him a fair few times over the past year, and was always more impressed by Scullion.  His physique is very impressive, but for me he drifted out a lot of games.  He seems the type of player who in the big games (Killie, Hamilton, Dundee Utd) can rise t the occasion, but may not turn up in many matches.  See how he gets on after a full season at senior level.  For me, Alan Forrest is every bit as good as him and they have similar stats so far this year.  Forrest has 4 in 11 and Quitongo 5 in 15.  Forrest overall for Ayr has 27 in 119 games, but would have never been noticed for the level he played it, but that's not a bad record for a 20 year old to have IMO.  Especially not an out and out striker.

27/119 in the seaside leagues and a fairly average player completely oblivious to most other clubs

5/15 and scouted by several EPL clubs as well as most clubs in Scotland. 1 of the hottest prospects in our game

1 minute ago, Wren Road said:

27/119 in the seaside leagues and a fairly average player completely oblivious to most other clubs

5/15 and scouted by several EPL clubs as well as most clubs in Scotland. 1 of the hottest prospects in our game

4/11 in basically the same average at the same level, what's your point?  Quitongo is a decent player, but better players have failed at a higher level.  I can tell you right now he'll be nowhere near the Portugal setup.

FWIW I never said Forrest should be considered for U21s, I was pointing out that they are similar types of player.

I'll always remember when Willie McLaren had a purple patch for a few months with Airdrie aged 19 and their fans were absolutely seething he wasn't in the Scotland U21s squad.

If Quitongo has a good SEASON then he'd be deserving of a call up, raging that he isn't there 8 games into the season is rather amusing :D

1 minute ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'll always remember when Willie McLaren had a purple patch for a few months with Airdrie aged 19 and their fans were absolutely seething he wasn't in the Scotland U21s squad.

If Quitongo has a good SEASON then he'd be deserving of a call up, raging that he isn't there 8 games into the season is rather amusing :D

I remember Ryan Donnelly scoring a stupid amount in 6 months for Airdrie, got the move to Wigan and 2 years later is kicking about for Hurlford.

Ryan Hardie is a very good striker, btw. A few games at an abysmal St Mirren hasn't changed that, just as Quitongo being released by Hamilton/Aberdeen is essentially irrelevant. 

I'm not convinced he'll ever be good enough for the senior national squad, but you could say the same about 90% of the under 21's. He needs out of Rangers who will never give him a chance now they're back in the top league and floundering miles behind Celtic.

5 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I've watched him a fair few times over the past year, and was always more impressed by Scullion.  His physique is very impressive, but for me he drifted out a lot of games.  He seems the type of player who in the big games (Killie, Hamilton, Dundee Utd) can rise t the occasion, but may not turn up in many matches.  See how he gets on after a full season at senior level.  For me, Alan Forrest is every bit as good as him and they have similar stats so far this year.  Forrest has 4 in 11 and Quitongo 5 in 15.  Forrest overall for Ayr has 27 in 119 games, but would have never been noticed for the level he played it, but that's not a bad record for a 20 year old to have IMO.  Especially not an out and out striker.

I was very impressed by Forrest a couple of years ago, it wouldn't surprise me if he went onto better things. I've always been impressed by Scullion as well, but for whatever reason I'm not sure he'll make it at any decent level (which is a shame because he is brilliant with a football at his feet). Quitongo's form this season, though, has been as impressive as any young player I've seen at Morton in the last 15 years. He's certainly a bit raw around the edges, but looks like he has great potential. It might fade away and come to nothing, that's always a tough judgement call in picking youth international players. Dec McManus got called up for playing well in League One, but we all know he got the call up because he was on the radar as an Aberdeen youth though (and I don't think there is an awful lot of great judgement going around at youth level in Scotland). 

4 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I don't think there's any real rage about it. The point is that he playing in the same team as Nesbitt, who hasn't had any sort of purple patch, and gets straight into the u21 team. I don't know if there would have been anything said about it if it wasn't for that. I don't think it would have crossed my mind if it wasn't for that tbh. I'm not sure if he's ready for that, but I think, from Quitongo's perspective, the question is a legitimate one.

23 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Why would that be the case, when you just played a game on Wednesday and concluded a qualifying tournament last month? Why does it make sense to pick players either in poor form or not playing at all, because they're either i) contracted to a big team (free pass) or ii) did something last season, or a few seasons ago, but not when you actually need a good performance in the present?

If the management shares your bizarre selection criteria then it would go some way to explaining why they're get humiliated by Macedonia and Iceland on a regular basis. 

Archived