Motherwell v Heart of Midlothian

Friday night fitba under the Fir Park floodlights.

I'm looking forward to this one.  Both teams have had decent starts and will be confident of taking the three points.  If we play like we did in the first half against Accies, then it'll be a home win.  Anything like our performance at Firhill, and Hearts will win this at a canter.  

I think we'll nick it.  Moult to score and Motherwell to win.  

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interested to see how we line up for this. In a sense the performance at Firhill validated McGhee's point post-Accies that we won't be able to play 3 strikers every week. His interview after the Thistle game suggested that he still needs to work out what to do with the forward players and how we implement either the 3 or 2 from 3. Realistically I can't see him dropping McDonald so it's a case of whether he starts Moult or Bowman. McDonald playing wide left looked an uncomfortable fit on Saturday.

The fact that we don't really have a naturally left sided player who can start is a bit of a problem as well. With Chalmers injured we're looking at Thomas, McFadden as left sided players or sticking Ainsworth in there. I'd be surprised if we changed things too much but with Cadden ending the game on Saturday playing centrally I wonder if that might give us a bit more energy and competitiveness in that area of the park.

I could see this ending up a draw tbh. McGhee's record against Hearts at Fir Park last season was alright, a 2-2 draw and a 1-0 win though I get the fear a bit at the thought of Walker and Nicholson against our full-backs and I could see Watt fancying his chances against Heneghen. We seem to have trouble dealing with players who drop in between the attack and midfield; Crawford the other week and Erskine on Saturday. 

5 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

I'm guessing it's Friday night for the telly?
Should be a decent game to watch, as don't think there's much between them. I'll stick my neck out and go for a narrow Well win.

I am shite at predicting though......

Aye. It's on BT Sports 2.

19 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Interested to see how we line up for this. In a sense the performance at Firhill validated McGhee's point post-Accies that we won't be able to play 3 strikers every week. His interview after the Thistle game suggested that he still needs to work out what to do with the forward players and how we implement either the 3 or 2 from 3. Realistically I can't see him dropping McDonald so it's a case of whether he starts Moult or Bowman. McDonald playing wide left looked an uncomfortable fit on Saturday.

The fact that we don't really have a naturally left sided player who can start is a bit of a problem as well. With Chalmers injured we're looking at Thomas, McFadden as left sided players or sticking Ainsworth in there. I'd be surprised if we changed things too much but with Cadden ending the game on Saturday playing centrally I wonder if that might give us a bit more energy and competitiveness in that area of the park.

I could see this ending up a draw tbh. McGhee's record against Hearts at Fir Park last season was alright, a 2-2 draw and a 1-0 win though I get the fear a bit at the thought of Walker and Nicholson against our full-backs and I could see Watt fancying his chances against Heneghen. We seem to have trouble dealing with players who drop in between the attack and midfield; Crawford the other week and Erskine on Saturday. 

You'll be okay then, Watt normally drops between our midfield and defence.

20 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I'd be surprised if we changed things too much but with Cadden ending the game on Saturday playing centrally I wonder if that might give us a bit more energy and competitiveness in that area of the park.

I thought this was a massive difference for us on Saturday, tbh. Cadden, for all his good work, isn't naturally a winger, IMO. He gets up to speed, found the full-back, and just stopped. I thought Gordon did really well in the second half cutting out the option for Cadden to knock it past him and run after it, after he'd had a bit of joy doing that on the right in the first half.

Clay/Lasley and Cadden in the middle of the park immediately makes us more competitive, I reckon. We've absolutely got to get the ball down and play, as well. If we launch balls long, Ozturk/Rossi/Souttar will absolutely monster Bowman and Moult.

Additionally: I'd get Ainsworth in for this one. Rherras has looked susceptible to balls played inside him, Ainsworth's pace there lets us do that. So lets do that.

This being moved to Friday means I can't go - always been one of my favourite fixtures too. That said, when I started going, any sort of result against Hearts was a bit of a rarity - for the past few years, it's been the opposite - very rarely have Hearts had a good result at Fir Park, it's almost become a bit of a bogey ground for them. Hope it continues and I'm actually confident that we won't be as pish as we were for 75 mins on Saturday....

13 minutes ago, Swello said:

This being moved to Friday means I can't go - always been one of my favourite fixtures too. That said, when I started going, any sort of result against Hearts was a bit of a rarity - for the past few years, it's been the opposite - very rarely have Hearts had a good result at Fir Park, it's almost become a bit of a bogey ground for them. Hope it continues and I'm actually confident that we won't be as pish as we were for 75 mins on Saturday....

Along with nearly every other away ground.

13 minutes ago, Desp said:

Am I right in saying Hearts haven't won at Fir Park since December 2010?

"Steve Jennings Night" to you and I...

He was a great player for Hereford. I see he's knocking about with Tranmere now...

2 minutes ago, Girth said:

He was a great player for Hereford. I see he's knocking about with Tranmere now...

He was a great player for us - has proven to be really difficult to replace in the years since.

1 minute ago, Swello said:

He was a great player for us - has proven to be really difficult to replace in the years since.

We had him for about 10/11 games to get back to match fitness. Great little player.

How's Ainsworth doing for you?

In nostalgia corner, one of my favourite (or at least most memorable) 'Well - Hearts games at Fir Park was the corresponding fixture <inaudible mumble> years ago. It sums up what it was like playing Hearts in those days. We utterly battered them for 90 mins but Henry *fucking* Smith was outstanding, Iain Ferguson scored a beauty for them (and probably sealed his move to Fir Park in the process) and we had 3 goals chalked off before finally equalising. It was pishing down and everyone was huddled under the covered terracing, so I remember it was a great atmosphere too - and what a 'Well team (on a different planet football-wise to what we watch now).

Worth watching for Stevie Kirk *very deliberately* shoving the Linesman over in the mud and pretending he didn't mean it :) 

Archived