Ayr v Dunfermline (£5 a head Donald Cameron memorial match)

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad was from Ayr and his first job was in a bank (maybe in Prestwick?). One of his regulars came in one Monday morning sporting a black armband. He asked the old boy if that was because of the weekend's Ayr United result but it turns out his wife had died. 

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

He was ostracised when people found out he'd become a Par and was pals with louche Fife royalty such as Bert Paton and Emperor Leishman.

Certainly a step down the respectability ladder.

Just now, AyrTroopMajor said:

Is there anything to stop Ayr selling tickets for this on the High Street/somewhere in the Town Centre?

That goes for any home game as well...

Might need a permit but don't think that'd be a major problem.

The advert for this game on the electronic screen on Whitletts Rd is a start but we need the club to increase their presence in the town. A stall on the High Street selling tickets and at the very least making people aware that the game is on seems like a no-brainer to me.

17 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

It seems to be that over the years we hit a bit of form on the road, come back to Somerset, get a decent crowd and fcuk it. The result against Falkirk maybe balanced the expectation built up in recent weeks and we will go out hoping rather than expecting to get something here. 

Best case is the drop in price brings out an extra 2-3 thousand lapsed/potential fans and we put on a bit of a show and get some of them coming back.

Going by recent form we are more than capable in getting something out of this game and need to pick up points from teams like Dunfemline especially at home.

No chance you'll get an extra 2-3 thousand just by dropping the price. The same applies to most clubs in Scotland.

The advert for this game on the electronic screen on Whitletts Rd is a start but we need the club to increase their presence in the town. A stall on the High Street selling tickets and at the very least making people aware that the game is on seems like a no-brainer to me.

I don't think the club would have the human resources to carry this out.

It would have to be a volunteer or, they employ someone to do the job.

Better idea for me would be to approach as many small shops in the area and set up a deal whereby if they display an Ayr United poster advertising the games and then sell a total of 10 tickets for that game they get two comps.

However, again, there are resource issues.

Perhaps it would be a job for our lottery agents to carry out and they pick up a percentage of the match tickets they manage to sell leading up to a game.

1 hour ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

I think employing someone part-time to sell tickets and engage with the public would be a worthwhile investment, I'd be interested to hear from the club if this has been considered.

Pars fans, do your club have a good presence in the local area?

Not sure. I think the players do visit schools now and again but not really sure.

I recall that the club have tried in the past to drum up business on the High Street and it was met with general apathy. We used to have big billboards around the town as well (during the Calderwood times when money was apparently no issue; how did that work out again?) and this didn't seem to help much either.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

No chance you'll get an extra 2-3 thousand just by dropping the price. The same applies to most clubs in Scotland.

Ordinarily I'd agree but the club is pushing it locally, coupled with the charity aspect......as a one off I think it will work. 4000 turned up to the play-off final so 3000 shouldn't be that unrealistic.

I'm sure I'd replied to the post about a presence in town earlier. Strange. 

The primary schools come into the stadium often now and players, coaches etc go to the schools now and again through the school engagement programme. I think the players have to do a certain amount per year and it's in their contracts but most of them don't seem to mind, especially the ones who live locally. They turn up time and again to quiz nights, bowling with the Young Pars etc when they probably don't have to. It's hard when a lot of the young families who've moved into the area are full of Hibees, Jambos and Old Firm fans so hopefully the younger ones start getting along to games.

There was a sports shop at the bottom (unpopular end) of town which sold strips and merchandise but that was way back in the 80s and 90s. Then we had the shop in the shopping centre in the town centre which was maybe in the 2000s although I seem to remember it being quiet and us not selling much. To be fair though, even some of the big clubs down south don't really sell enough gear to justify a fulltime presence in the centre. 

These days we have to go to the ground to get tickets,merchandise etc although during the close season I'm sure there is a stall in the shopping centre for season ticket sales and to give out fixture cards etc. I think I've seen a few posters and stuff out and about too, although I think they are generic ones about signing up to the Centenary Club and not for any games. 

Archived