Sons of the Rock vs. Doonhamers (9th vs. 1st)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Away win.

Iain Russell will still manage to get on the scoresheet and/or enrage the home support, somehow.

He was sent off today, so he'll no doubt sit next to one of us in the crowd and eat really, really loudly. That was annoy me far, far more than any of the goals he scored against us.

Anyway, this should be a relatively easy away win. Though we seem to be capable of producing some incredibly good home performances when we aren't expected to win - so you never know. Looking forward to seeing Dobbie again though, he's the sort of calibre of player who is just fantastic to watch...even when he's dismantling your own team.

Given our atrocious first 70 minutes last week - and suspensions to Buchanan and Wright - Stevie has a difficult task to build a team. He did admit that 4-4-2 didn't work on Saturday (albeit I had no idea Gaz was playing upfront in a 2, I thought he was deep) so we'll be going 4-4-1-1. Thommo finally snatched a goal yesterday, which may have done wonders for his confidence, but he still isn't clinical enough for me. Especially when playing him means that we just launch high balls up the park. I wouldn't be hugely averse to bringing McCallum in for him. He's not fantastic, but he's direct and tricky and might let us shake the gameplan up a bit.

Stevo has to start. As does Stanton. I would've dropped Barr, but with the suspensions we really can't. Pettigrew looked miles out of his depth (again) so I'd go out of my way to not start him - we were far better without him (and Stirling) So I'd go with something like this.

Alan Martin

David Smith Darren Barr Mark Docherty Daniel Harvie

Josh Todd Joe Thomson Grant Gallagher Sam Stanton

Ryan Stevenson

Donald McCallum/Robert Thomson

If we don't win our next 2 games we'll fail to meet Stevie's target of 10 points a quarter, and we'll almost certainly be sitting at the foot of the table. That's not negativity, it's realism I'm afraid. Now, given we have yet to win back to back games this year does anyone think that looks overly likely?

Looking forward to this game at one of my favourite venues. Queens have quite a good record at the  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (insert latest name as appropriate) Stadium and given our start  and relative league positions I would hope we can take the full spoils from this match. Sir Stephen of Fleetwood has been relatively quiet during the last two games so hopefully he can produce the bit of quality only he is capable of.  Will Skelton take the chance to freshen up the team, bearing in mind he may be forced to by a couple of injuries, or start with the tried and trusted? I wouldn't be looking for wholesale changes in the starting line-up but we have capable players to bring off the bench during the game if needed. I'm not expecting us to stroll this game, we'll have to approach it in the right frame of mind, but if we are to be serious title contenders then performing in this type of fixture is just as important as doing it against the likes of Hibs, etc.   Prediction 3 - 1 to Queens (but not brave enough to actually put money on it)   

27 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

How has Josh Todd been for you lot?

There's obviously a player in there but he's been pretty anonymous thus far.  He's proving the old adage that it's easier for a player to shine in a good side rather than a struggling one.  And to be honest none of us knows his best position.

17 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I hope Dobbie remembers the time we took a punt on him when he massively overweight and turned him into a goal machine. It would be massively disrespectful for him to try 100% against the club who saved his career IMO.

:)

Tremendous bit of business, Queens signing him.

Archived