Rangers vs Glasgow's Finest 1 October Ibrox Park

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This mob have done well since being voted into the league, somewhat fortuitously, just a few years ago. A bit of an unknown for us. Will be a breath of fresh air though, a break from playing the same old clubs.

We should enjoy it while it lasts, a Gretna-like implosion may not be too far away.

Seems like we're the last team in the 4 tiers to play this club (excluding the other new addition to the leagues, Edinburgh City). Disappointed we never got a chance to when haddies like Elbows, Mohsni, Black and Daly were kicking about, as that would have been fun.

We can get something from this game if we set up the right way, but I fully expect us to sit in for a 0-0 and lose by 3.

If big Azeez puts himself about against The Rangers defence in the same way he ragdolled Heneghan and McManus then Thistle could easily get something, providing he doesn't shank every shot past the post of course. I could see Erskine having a lovely old time against them as well.

Archie won't drop Gordon but I think he should.

Our team for this is likely to be:

Scully

Gordon Devine Lindsay Booth

Osman Barton

Amoo Erskine Lawless

Doolan

Subs: Stuckmann, Syme, Elliott, Welsh, Edwards, Azeez, AN Other

I can't see Edwards being dropped after his performance yesterday.

MOTM imo. 

Also despite his ability to miss chances with either foot Azeez will get the nod too.

3 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

I can't see Edwards being dropped after his performance yesterday.

MOTM imo. 

Also despite his ability to miss chances with either foot Azeez will get the nod too.

If Edwards starts suspect it would have to be at Barton's expense.

Starting with Azeez would be a mistake. The plan will be to keep it tight, use Doolan'a superior positional awareness then bring Azeez on for a burst when the centre backs are tiring.

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

We'll shite ourselves as we always do away to the bigger clubs.

We've scored one goal at Pittodrie in 3 and a bit seasons and we haven't scored at Parkhead in 3 seasons.

Sit in, defend in depth and we'll cock it up. Try and hit us on the break and you never know.

Anyway depending on who's fit.

Fods

Tav, hill, Wilson, wallacey

Windass, halliday, holt

McKay, Kenny, Dodoo

On paper we should have a chance. Azeez, Erskine and Amoo I'd all fancy to do well.

However, I really worry about diddies, weans and choke artists like Scully, Lindsay, Devine, Welsh and Gordon to land us a shafting. Rangers aren't doing too great just now but I fully expect the likes of Garner and Waghorn to have a field day with our hopeless defence and I worry about the ability of guys like Scully and Lindsay to handle the pressure of playing there. I'd drop Scully for Stuckmann, Scully has had umpteen chances. Sadly Archie has decided we need a million central midfielders so it'll be the same dumplings playing in defence again.

2 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

If Edwards starts suspect it would have to be at Barton's expense.

Starting with Azeez would be a mistake. The plan will be to keep it tight, use Doolan'a superior positional awareness then bring Azeez on for a burst when the centre backs are tiring.

I think Erskine was carrying an injury in training last week and he seemed to be struggling when he went off yesterday.

In that case Edwards in Erskine's role with Osman next to Barton?

Two shite defences could lead to an entertaining game, however Rangers have simply better attackers than us so they should really be winning. As much as he's the lesser player, Azeez should start ahead of Doolan as his pace should be able to exploit Rangers's often pondering and open back four. Or go one better and start them both.

2 hours ago, bennett said:

Sit in, defend in depth and we'll cock it up. Try and hit us on the break and you never know.

Anyway depending on who's fit.

Fods

Tav, hill, Wilson, wallacey

Windass, halliday, holt

McKay, Kenny, Dodoo

Think you spelled Fuds wrongly there...

We actually are capable of winning this, but I should have given up hope with these sorts of fixtures years ago.

Archibald seems to have little interest in dispelling the wee team mentality, and if Sean Welsh plays we might as well stay in the pub. Teams like ICT, Ross County, Hamilton even have far eclipsed us in this regard in recent years. Ties in nicely with our record in major cups, which is comfortably the worst in the top 20 teams in Scotland in the last 30 years. Sigh.

3 hours ago, Snakebite said:

On paper we should have a chance. Azeez, Erskine and Amoo I'd all fancy to do well.

However, I really worry about diddies, weans and choke artists like Scully, Lindsay, Devine, Welsh and Gordon to land us a shafting. Rangers aren't doing too great just now but I fully expect the likes of Garner and Waghorn to have a field day with our hopeless defence and I worry about the ability of guys like Scully and Lindsay to handle the pressure of playing there. I'd drop Scully for Stuckmann, Scully has had umpteen chances. Sadly Archie has decided we need a million central midfielders so it'll be the same dumplings playing in defence again.

Drop scully 

Not fair after his performance yesterday

Archived