Edinburgh City v Arbroath

Being a fat City photographer standing behind the goal the City 2nd goal incident happened right in front of me:

What I saw: Cross goes over, See leaps as the goalkeeper goes for the ball at the same time. Keeper doesn't keep hold of the ball, the ball ends up loose and it's put away. I didn't think it was a foul at the time, and I like to think fair minded rather than biased towards the City cause*. If it had been a similar goal at the other end scored by an Arbroath player I wouldn't have complained. Keepers get a lot of protection from referees these days compared to when I first started watching football and if there was any doubt regarding the validity of the goal I imagine the referee would have had no hesitation in chalking it off. The other City photographer, Kevin, showed me a pic of the incident taken from the sideline and he seemed to think it was an Arbroath defender had knocked into the keeper- in Kevin's photo it didn't look like a foul.  

It was concerning to see the keeper injured and fortunately the professional First Aiders were there to help- if there's any criticism I thought it took a bit too long for the trainer to be allowed to enter the field as it was obvious that the lad was in trouble. 

*Disclaimer: except when we play Spartans and Whitehill. Then I'm totally biased.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great game to watch on Saturday, Edinburgh are certainly no mugs.

Didn't feel we played particularly well, hilarious that some are critisicing the team selection, given it was the team that most people were wanting to start with for weeks, with Whatley moving to full back and McCord and Scott in the middle. Prunty just not performing at all, it was a signing we all seemed excited about but he hasn't offered much, he should just stick with Doris and Skelly for a few games then look at it again in the window.

We seem really difficult to beat but cant seem to get the 3 points, never know so many draws! Need a win against Forfar

Anyone who isnt blind can clearly see the Edinburgh City player not only lead with an elbow, but thrusts it in.

That is a red card offence anywhere else on the pitch. How the Linesman failed to see it is beyond me. And the fact that Mutch is left on the ground in a heap, clutching his throat and required medical attention in A&E afterwards should be enough evidence to know it was a foul.

I do believe that Goalkeepers are afforded too much protection, but in this case the referee and his assistants have clearly got it wrong.

Anyone who isnt blind can clearly see the Edinburgh City player not only lead with an elbow, but thrusts it in.

That is a red card offence anywhere else on the pitch. How the Linesman failed to see it is beyond me. And the fact that Mutch is left on the ground in a heap, clutching his throat and required medical attention in A&E afterwards should be enough evidence to know it was a foul.

I do believe that Goalkeepers are afforded too much protection, but in this case the referee and his assistants have clearly got it wrong.

A resulting injury isn't proof of a foul. At the time I didn't think it was a free kick but I've since seen a picture that suggests it should have been. Let's be honest we're so far from the action at Meadowbank it's hard to be certain with incidents like that. Basically I'm just glad the lad is okay

3 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Great game to watch on Saturday, Edinburgh are certainly no mugs.

Didn't feel we played particularly well, hilarious that some are critisicing the team selection, given it was the team that most people were wanting to start with for weeks, with Whatley moving to full back and McCord and Scott in the middle. Prunty just not performing at all, it was a signing we all seemed excited about but he hasn't offered much, he should just stick with Doris and Skelly for a few games then look at it again in the window.

We seem really difficult to beat but cant seem to get the 3 points, never know so many draws! Need a win against Forfar

Don't knock it. At least you are picking up points.

9 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

come aff it- Ouzzy isn't some kind of Mark Hateley type thug- no more than the Arbroath lad who got sent off went out to deliberately hurt McFarland. We thought he was a bit unlucky to get a red to be honest. 

well, like I said being behind the goal I had a better view than anyone in the stand. 

if my eyesight is that bad I guess I'll have to either stop self abuse or take up refereeing...

I don't think think there was any intent on the Edinburgh City players part, it's just a blatent free kick that the referee/ linesman should be seeing. Absolute basic stuff; I've always complained at keepers getting too much protection, but this really is the complete opposite, the ball is in his hands and a flying elbow smacks him in the throat resulting in him dropping the ball.... how is that not a free kick?! :lol:

As has been said, I also think the red card was fairly harsh. It didn't seem an overly aggressive challenge and I didn't think it was dangerous either. On another day/ with a different ref it would have been a yellow.

City fans seem a relatively honest bunch judging by their comments on the main incidents/ the game in general from Saturday. Nothing worse than opposition fans being so blinkered that they can't see beyond their own team which some teams at this level suffer from on here.

Archived