BT Sport / Chris Sutton

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another one in the converted to liking Chris Sutton camp. Initially he came across as a bit biased and poor but has grown into the role superbly. He's cutting, knowledgeable, passionate, incisive and crucially opinionated, which you need in your pundits. He will have justification to back his opinions up too.

Balanced against the equally as opinionated Stewart and the slightly more reserved Craigan, it's a superb balance. Currie as a presenter has also grown and knows he's onto a winner with the guys he works with. Add in Derek Rae, the best in the business and it's a cracking watch.

BT leave Sky so far in the shade it's embarrassing. They get that fans hate lunchtime kick offs generally, they get that fans want serious punditry and a big build up, they get that fans want teams treated equally and they do it. Would love to kick Sky totally out of Scottish football in 2020, as they're dire and only give a f**k about the Ugly Sisters.

I couldn't stand him at first, but the more time's gone on the more I find myself enjoying his comments. He turns Rangers fans into seething wrecks on Twitter (and now Clyde1) and that is a very, very endearing attribute.

On top of that he isn't generic and cliche-ridden and actually tells people what he thinks of them to his face as well as in commentary. He did an interview with Deila last season and basically explained everything he had done that he thought was wrong - most people would've stained their underwear and just stuck with the easy questions.

*On Efe Ambrose and Boyata* "What they need to realise, Derek, is that they are not footballers".

His zing of Johnstone last night was very Alan Partridge-esque, and that's why I like listening to him. Quite like Michael Stewart too, he's prepared to have a wee go at him without becoming a Johnstone-esque whinging, tear stained shambles.

I agree with most when they say BT Sports are leaving Sky Sports behind. Would be good to have just BT deal with Scottish football & hopefully invest a bit more to help grow the game here which in turn will make it more appealing for their wider potential audience.

The one thing I do like about Sky's coverage is Ian Crockers commentary. He's good at his job. Thought I heard him cover some games elsewhere...could've been BT but a bit hazy on that one. Getting him to BT permanently would be a result.

Like most on here I loathed Sutton especially after cellic lost the league at Rugby Park and he appeared to imply Killie were complicit in a conspiracy to let full fat rangers win the title. But I enjoy his punditry he's intelligent and has his own thoughts on matters which is why he's light years ahead of the usual suspects . The way he melted DJ in that clip without actually asking a terribly difficult question of him shows that he's to intelligent for the sycophants . Nevin  does it for the BBC , Sky I'm afraid have filled there ranks with apologists and dullards and that's why they're losing the fans.  I wouldn't be surprised if they try to pinch Sutton from BT 

I couldn't stand him at first, but the more time's gone on the more I find myself enjoying his comments. He turns Rangers fans into seething wrecks on Twitter (and now Clyde1) and that is a very, very endearing attribute.

On top of that he isn't generic and cliche-ridden and actually tells people what he thinks of them to his face as well as in commentary. He did an interview with Deila last season and basically explained everything he had done that he thought was wrong - most people would've stained their underwear and just stuck with the easy questions.

*On Efe Ambrose and Boyata* "What they need to realise, Derek, is that they are not footballers".

:lol:

I never heard this, but in my head I can imagine the exact tone he would've used whilst saying it. What a guy

Got round to listening to the chat, superb stuff. Johnstone trying to deny he is biased and all the rest of it was glorious. Here's an example of his impartial opinions: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14749100.Derek_Johnstone__Why_the_Joey_Barton_and_Andy_Halliday_bust_up_is_good_for_Rangers/

And, in fairness, here's some of the nonsense Sutton comes out with: 

Yeah, like others I disliked Sutton initially, but like his directness and lack of sugar-coating now.
He's brilliant on Twitter, owning people all over the place.
Derek Johnstone was and always will be a pandering sycophant. As Sutton says - A cheerleader and an apologist.
He's excruciating to listen to and completely lacks credibility as he is incapable of even the slightest critical comment on Rangers.
He's similar to Richard Wilson, except exponentially worse.

Brilliant work by Sutton! He's come on leaps and bounds than when he was on Soccer AM. Derek Johnstone is a fool of a man & nothing more than a Rangers PR working on Clyde.

I'm wondering how long it will take the Rangers fans to call for BT to be banned from Ibrox like they've done with the BBC... However I doubt they can afford to do that

11 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Brilliant work by Sutton! He's come on leaps and bounds than when he was on Soccer AM. Derek Johnstone is a fool of a man & nothing more than a Rangers PR working on Clyde.

I'm wondering how long it will take the Rangers fans to call for BT to be banned from Ibrox like they've done with the BBC... However I doubt they can afford to do that

There's a thread on Rangers Media about emails being sent to BT threatening to cancel their subscriptions if Sutton isn't punted :lol: 

Are you going to get your legal team on the case again? :lol:

VT isn't ruining the thread btw. You are. As usual.

Obviously spreading the same lies you did. Funnily enough when challenged he too can't provide anything of substance. Just a pair of walloper stalking shit on a football forum.

I stuck to the topic, VT went off-topic. Remind me who ruined the thread in your mind?

I'm not a fan of pundits who essentially just troll - Sutton, Stewart and Burley being by far the worst examples up here - without actually providing any analysis at all, but I'd far rather that than the likes of Fat Del and Pat Bonner, who are just mouthpieces for Rangers and Celtic.  In his only defence, I get the impression Derek Johnstone would be able to name, say, Ross County's goalkeeper, when week in week out Bonner proves he can't.

Sutton won that bout by about nine rounds.

Just now, Mr Anderson said:

Sutton has the balls to give his own honest opinion and get under peoples (dimwits) skin and they don't like it. They can't handle the truth. DJ has BO

In that Clyde Super Scoreboard thing above, he openly admits he doesn't.  He says things to stimulate controversy.  He claims that's part of his job.  Which is a reasonable point of view.

Archived