Spiders v Blues

Had a decent first half but yet again no real test for the Stranraer goalie. We were still competing up to Miller's dismissal but completely lost our shape after that. That said, a schoolboy error by Muir for the first and a free header from a corner, allowed by Cummins, led to the two goals.

We had good possession with our usual midfield passing but Stranrarer had a midfield who could support the striker with pace, ballskills and ambition. Gus has built a squad designed for a lone striker role but we don't have the midfield to support that with. Our guys are ball players and passers and they're good at that but we don't have the pace and directness that Stranraer demonstrated today. Our early season promise has tricked us judging by today's display. Needs a rethink.

Queens Park had a fair amount of possession in the first half without really doing an awful lot with it.  In fact I was pretty unimpressed generally with the spiders, they didn't offer much going forward and aside from two decent stops Belford didn't have all that much to do.  Defensively they struggled to cope with the pace, width and movement on show from Stranraer in the second half in particular.  After the sending off god knows what MacPherson intended but they completely lost their shape despite several apparent readjustments and never really (from my perspective) looked particularly like getting back into the game.  Their keeper was an absolute liability and pretty much gifted us the first, although over the piece I'd say we were clearly the better side and could have been well out of sight had we taken a few more of some very good chances.

Personally thought the ref was alright, made a couple of mistakes but got the sending off right.  Overall a few minor errors but got the important stuff right.  About as good as you can hope for at this level anyway.  Better than one of his assistants anyway who at one point awarded a corner when it was clearly a goal kick (thankfully he was overruled) and generally looked bewildered.

Thought Barron did ok and looks like he'll be a decent acquisition for us.  No real stand out performances but will take a solid team effort and the three points any day.  All in all enjoyed my day out at Hampden.  Up to 5th and suddenly we look half decent after a painfully slow start to the season.

As an aside though the overall attendance wasn't shocking by any means it looked like the away support about matched the home contingent.  Possibly the worst home support I've seen at Hampden in years.  Any particular reason for that?

Can't believe how much shirt-pulling was going on, both punished and un-punished. Queen's Park definitely had a shout for a penalty in the second half. 

The stadium announcement about the attendance at the end was a bit muffled. Did anyone hear what it was?

8 hours ago, Redstarstranraer said:

Possibly the worst home support I've seen at Hampden in years.  Any particular reason for that?

I could say it's a holiday weekend in Glasgow but the reality is our attendances have been pish for years now. A big game now and again will bring a few more out like the play offs. Being a local I know that the majority who live nearby couldn't give a f**k about their local club, they'd rather be sitting on a bar stool watching the old firm or Jeff Stelling and his chums. 

Stranraer deserved to win yesterday but it's a game of fine margins. Zanatta should have buried his header to make it 1-1 but mere moments later we're down to 10. Muir made a c**t of the first goal but tbf first bad mistake he's made in about a year. The poster who described him as a liability is being harsh, his saves after that stopped it being a bigger defeat. Gibby again off injured, obviously wasn't fully fit to start with. We need Woods back in from the start but he should be now with Miller suspended. The last few weeks have confirmed how hard this season will be. We all knew that. 

After some superb early season results, reality has kicked in.  This was a lesson in how to win a game from Stranraer.  They weren't flashy, looked to be there for the draw but went for the jugular when it was obvious that we weren't getting anywhere.

We started off really well but didn't make any decent chances.  We'll forgive Wullie Muir for the mishandling at the first goal as that's not a usual fault for him and it was pishing down.  Miller's sending off was a cert, although credit to him for making an effort to get a tackle in.  Second goal - once again, we lose one from a corner.

That old adage about it being harder to play against ten men went out the window as Stranraer took advantage and fairly gave us the runaround.

I can understand Gus looking for a goalscorer as Malone, much as I like him, and Carter are simply not scoring.  Whether the on-loan load will make a difference on a tighter pitch like the Alligator Park next week...well, we'll see.

2 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

I could say it's a holiday weekend in Glasgow but the reality is our attendances have been pish for years now. A big game now and again will bring a few more out like the play offs. Being a local I know that the majority who live nearby couldn't give a f**k about their local club, they'd rather be sitting on a bar stool watching the old firm or Jeff Stelling and his chums. 

You must be going back a bit for large attendances. As a student in 71/72, I watched Stranraer play Queens Park at Hampden in front of a crowd of almost exactly 500. 

You must be going back a bit for large attendances. As a student in 71/72, I watched Stranraer play Queens Park at Hampden in front of a crowd of almost exactly 500. 

Always felt like Queens Park added 100 or so the true crowd figure in recent meetings.

9 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

After some superb early season results, reality has kicked in.  This was a lesson in how to win a game from Stranraer.  They weren't flashy, looked to be there for the draw but went for the jugular when it was obvious that we weren't getting anywhere.

We started off really well but didn't make any decent chances.  We'll forgive Wullie Muir for the mishandling at the first goal as that's not a usual fault for him and it was pishing down.  Miller's sending off was a cert, although credit to him for making an effort to get a tackle in.  Second goal - once again, we lose one from a corner.

That old adage about it being harder to play against ten men went out the window as Stranraer took advantage and fairly gave us the runaround.

I can understand Gus looking for a goalscorer as Malone, much as I like him, and Carter are simply not scoring.  Whether the on-loan load will make a difference on a tighter pitch like the Alligator Park next week...well, we'll see.

I'd like to see Malone get a run of a right few games. I definitely think there's a few goals in him. 

On 24 September 2016 at 21:29, Del_Superwell said:

How's Luke Watt been doing for you guys at Stranraer?

He came on v Albion Rovers and I was quite impressed with him, strong and fast and looked a confident player to me , I think he will do well but as said Barron is a quality player and will be difficult to shift from the right back spot if he stays fit . Looks the business to me and I'm sure he'll get a chance soon .

An86, be good for a few of the boys to get a run of games. I feel Gus makes too many changes to the starting team (not so much the defence) for any of the boys to get a good run to build up form. It's like one of them has a bad game or doesn't make much of an impact and they are dropped the next game. Apart from the back four and say Miller, you never know week on week who he will put on. I know it's good to change now and again but need to allow the players to get a run in the team to build up form and confidence. IMO too much chopping and changing.

32 minutes ago, AllanM said:

An86, be good for a few of the boys to get a run of games. I feel Gus makes too many changes to the starting team (not so much the defence) for any of the boys to get a good run to build up form. It's like one of them has a bad game or doesn't make much of an impact and they are dropped the next game. Apart from the back four and say Miller, you never know week on week who he will put on. I know it's good to change now and again but need to allow the players to get a run in the team to build up form and confidence. IMO too much chopping and changing.

Malone looks like he can cause problems. Holds the ball up well, which brings other attacking players into the game, and looks like he knows the general direction of the goal. Scored a peach v Airdrie, nearly scored another in the league game and was heavily involved in the goal against Livvy. I'd like to see him start five or six games on the spin.

I agree. Last couple of seasons, the starting line up has been pretty constant with a few changes here and there if need be. So far this season though I feel too many changes already when not required. He should have his preferred team by now. He isn't allowing the boys to get a good run out.

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 12:13, beefybake said:

I didn't mention anything about large attendances, quite the opposite in fact. However I can confirm that since season 71/72 we've occasionally had larger crowds than 500 ;)

23 hours ago, an86 said:

Malone looks like he can cause problems. Holds the ball up well, which brings other attacking players into the game, and looks like he knows the general direction of the goal. Scored a peach v Airdrie, nearly scored another in the league game and was heavily involved in the goal against Livvy. I'd like to see him start five or six games on the spin.

He missed a good chance to score with his head on Saturday, seemed a bit slow to react. Pretty obvious that Zanatta will be first pick until his short loan deal finishes ( otherwise what's the point? ) Is Gus prepared to go 2 up front?   

Archived