Womersley's Folly

tamthebam

Fans of Netherdale's stand (aka Womersley's Folly) may be interested in this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-37429349

If Meadowbank is the concrete lavvy pan, is Gala's stand the concrete chamber pot?! 

If any local can answer a wee question I have- there is a double concrete stair arrangement near Netherdale that leads up to a housing scheme (goes over a burn and the reconstructed Borders railway) that looks vaguely Womersley influenced- could it be one of his? 

gala14.jpg

Hi Tam....I think the concrete stair you mean is one that leads to the Langlee Housing estate in the town which overlooks Netherdale.

The estate was not designed by Peter Womersley, however the much smaller, Church Square flats in the old town centre were. 

I attach an image I took of the stand taken from near the South turnstile canopy on Nether road which shows his geometric design in all its glory. it would be fair to say that his design is not universally popular however I love that the club has such an important and unusual main stand.

Credit to the committees of both Gala Fairydean and Gala Rovers who commissioned such a controversial and modernist design way back in 1964.  

netherdae screensave (2).jpg

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Fans of Netherdale's stand (aka Womersley's Folly) may be interested in this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-37429349

If Meadowbank is the concrete lavvy pan, is Gala's stand the concrete chamber pot?! 

If any local can answer a wee question I have- there is a double concrete stair arrangement near Netherdale that leads up to a housing scheme (goes over a burn and the reconstructed Borders railway) that looks vaguely Womersley influenced- could it be one of his? 

gala14.jpg

How come there be 3 moons in yon picture?

Grimbo (the Junior fan)

30 minutes ago, Grim O'Grady said:

How come there be 3 moons in yon picture?

Grimbo (the Junior fan)

They're balls of fire ya dafty, sent by the devil to warn all Junior fans to beware.

Never actually been to Netherdale, need to make a point of visiting sometime soon.

3 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

They're balls of fire ya dafty, sent by the devil to warn all Junior fans to beware.

Never actually been to Netherdale, need to make a point of visiting sometime soon.

Always liked going there, funny thing is never used to sit in the stand. Years ago we'd scream and shout the abuse from the far side. :D

The stand is a great piece of architecture tho. 

It's an even better than ever trip now wi the trains though Mr fixture Secretary take note give us oor Saturday back :)

My favourite non league ground....always had a big match feel about gala v whitehill games...think there was a mutual respect between the clubs in the 80s 90s 00s and we had some real heavy-weight games over the years. As newky said we used to stand opposite the stand where the highlights were throwning half bricks at whoever was pissing against the fence and i remember the celebration once in a 50m try on the rugby pitch over the fence......oh and there was the famous bomber brown after game shenanigans after one stormy match....

Great times 

Archived