Morton v Aberdeen

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Old Pack said:

Do any Morton fans remember this night at Cappielow.

Cracking game, the return leg at Muirton was even better, this Morton fan always gives me a chuckle.

Yes - I was behind the goal and we got a roasting from you after we took the lead. The red card for Psycho actually seemed to spur us on but it was stunned disbelief when Balavage palmed the penalty away. Total #scenes moments later.

That guy's reaction going from " 'at's piss!" to being shoved back over the wall by plod moments later is one of my favourite crowd shots ever.

Goals here - the penalty moment is at 4.40

2 hours ago, Old Pack said:

Do any Morton fans remember this night at Cappielow.IMG_1474714504.618767.jpgIMG_1474714541.935932.jpgIMG_1474714550.923329.jpg

Cracking game, the return leg at Muirton was even better, this Morton fan always gives me a chuckle.

Remember bout 15 buses left from the Morton Club that night for replay. 2 cracking cup nights. Maskrey ran the show for Saints in those ties. Big Dougie and Rowan were superb for us!!

Seems as though the club wanted one of the Edinburgh grounds.

http://www.afc.co.uk/news/8478#.V-Z_6PkrLIU

Following the statement issued by the SPFL in relation to the venue and timing of the Greenock Morton v Aberdeen semi-final, AFC wish to clarify our clubs position in relation to this.

Our stated preference was that the game took place at a more reasonable time on the Saturday at a venue that would ensure a capacity attendance. It is from an attendance perspective very regrettable that the game kicks off at 12.15pm which is a major disadvantage to our fantastic travelling support in particular for games such as these.

Regarding the choice of venue we understand and accept that it is for all clubs to indicate the crowd they anticipate taking and Hampden Park was chosen on this basis.

We accept that the majority of our supporters would have had to travel for at least a couple of hours to attend this fixture at any suitable venue but are disappointed as we feel that this outcome has a very negative impact on what should be a great day out and experience for all supporters.

What would Aberdeen consider to be a "reasonable time" for a televised game?

A lunchtime game couldn't really kick off any later than 12:15 given the potential for extra time and penalties, so did they want an evening kick off?  A 5:30 game could end up finishing not long before 8:30 if it went to penalties, which would surely make things tight for fans travelling back to Aberdeen.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

What would Aberdeen consider to be a "reasonable time" for a televised game?

A lunchtime game couldn't really kick off any later than 12:15 given the potential for extra time and penalties, so did they want an evening kick off?  A 5:30 game could end up finishing not long before 8:30 if it went to penalties, which would surely make things tight for fans travelling back to Aberdeen.

We've got a game kicking off at 1pm tomorrow, why isn't that possible for the semi?

5 minutes ago, stuart. said:

A game can't be live on TV between 3 and 5 on a Saturday when there is a full card on. Kicking off at 1 would overrun that time if extra time and penalties were needed.

The complaint is, presumably, that the need to satisfy the TV company has ruined the potential spectacle. I appreciate that the club agreed to the deal and that we'll just have to lump it.

The shite kick off time, combined with the fact it's at Hampden make this game a lot less appealing.

Tbf, the "2:45pm-5:15pm" thing is treated pretty loosely when it comes to ET and penalties.

Bala v Alloa in a couple of weeks is 1pm, and I can remember an FA Cup replay held-over to the date of the next round - Everton v Chelsea? - which started at something like 1pm or 12:45pm, went to extra-time and penalties, and finished a good bit after 3pm.

It will probably be 12:15pm because that fits for the TV company.

Aberdeen's statement is utterly pathetic IMHO. There's no doubt whatsoever that their "capacity venue" pitch would have involved their club getting far more than half the tickets for the Tynecastle or Easter Road venue that they had in mind. No consideration was being for the other team's potential turnout. A game at Hampden means that everyone will get to watch the game. Get over yourselves.

Had Aberdeen drawn either of the bigots at Hampden with a lunchtime Glasgow kick-off then there'd have been no utterly ridiculous, public statement about the kick-off time either. They're taking the piss.

I imagine the Club put out that statement purely to appease our moaning c**t fan base 

If early starts on the drink for a semi at Hampden isn't your cup of tea maybe Scottish Football isn't for you

I live further up north now but I'll be there with bells on no matter what 

6 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Aberdeen's statement is utterly pathetic IMHO. There's no doubt whatsoever that their "capacity venue" pitch would have involved their club getting far more than half the tickets for the Tynecastle or Easter Road venue that they had in mind. No consideration was being for the other team's potential turnout. A game at Hampden means that everyone will get to watch the game. Get over yourselves.

Had Aberdeen drawn either of the bigots at Hampden with a lunchtime Glasgow kick-off then there'd have been no utterly ridiculous, public statement about the kick-off time either. They're taking the piss.

The bit about clubs "indicating the crowd" is Old Firm behaviour from them - how dare this little diddy team want more than can be acccommodated in one stand of Tynecastle.

I understand the PR value of placating utter morons in a fanbase - we have plenty of those ourselves. Leaving aside the key facts though that BT Sport were always televising both games - which meant that it was always going to be an early kick off - as well as Aberdeen's unrealistic venue/tickets proposal (IMO), the statement implicates Morton as being moustache-twirling villains, cruelly opposed to Aberdeen's rational suggestions to best hold the tie. And yet had Aberdeen drawn either of the bigots in the semi final instead, I very much doubt that a 'public statement' would have been drafted about the kick-off time or venue; mostly because it would have been too embarrassing to publish.

The bit about clubs "indicating the crowd" is Old Firm behaviour from them - how dare this little diddy team want more than can be acccommodated in one stand of Tynecastle.

That's what struck me. It's very disappointing coming from that club - though tbf Aberdeen supporters are no more responsible for their club's attitude than Morton fans are for our stupid old clown of a chairman's view on anything.

I'm glad that Morton on this occasion stood up to Aberdeen's ridiculous posturing and had the temerity to play the semi final at a genuinely neutral venue.

Archived