Scottish football counterfactuals

Counterfactual history is when you take a moment in history and imagine how things would've turned out if things had been different.  It's not really analytical or academic when it comes to history but it's good fun and perfect for application to football.

It popped into my head because I just turned on Alloa v Celtic and saw Jim Goodwin playing.  Now, Goodwin is a reviled figure due to playing on the edge of the rules but he was a very  effective player for St MIrren and I think he would've been an excellent signing for St Mirren.  In particular, I think that Terry Butcher and Maurice Malpas would have relished having a player and a character like Goodwin in their squad at Hibs and probably would've used him to stave off the catastrophic collapse that saw Hibs relegated.  However, Goodwin's a veteran and would fade so it's doubtful that, beyond avoiding the drop, Hibs would be able to use him to build a decent side in the future and Butcher and Malpas' fate would only be delayed.  Also, with no relegation of Hibs, Hibs would likely still be waiting for a cup win and would merely be treading water in the SPL.

What are your favourite 'what ifs' in Scottish football, your counterfactual history stories, your 'Sliding Doors' moments?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Counterfactual history is when you take a moment in history and imagine how things would've turned out if things had been different.  It's not really analytical or academic when it comes to history but it's good fun and perfect for application to football.

It popped into my head because I just turned on Alloa v Celtic and saw Jim Goodwin playing.  Now, Goodwin is a reviled figure due to playing on the edge of the rules but he was a very  effective player for St MIrren and I think he would've been an excellent signing for St Mirren.  In particular, I think that Terry Butcher and Maurice Malpas would have relished having a player and a character like Goodwin in their squad at Hibs and probably would've used him to stave off the catastrophic collapse that saw Hibs relegated.  However, Goodwin's a veteran and would fade so it's doubtful that, beyond avoiding the drop, Hibs would be able to use him to build a decent side in the future and Butcher and Malpas' fate would only be delayed.  Also, with no relegation of Hibs, Hibs would likely still be waiting for a cup win and would merely be treading water in the SPL.

What are your favourite 'what ifs' in Scottish football, your counterfactual history stories, your 'Sliding Doors' moments?

Well that's a very diplomatic way of saying he was a dirty b*****d.

Scotland World Cup win in 94. Simmie responsible for 25 years of shite Scottish football.

If Aberdeen hadn't bottled the title in 91 or whenever it was. No nine in a row, pressure on a new Walter Smith and Aberdeen's participation in the new Champions League? Scottish fitba could have been oh so very different. Alas.

A good one for both Inverness Caley Thistle and Celtic fans, what Henrik Larsson had not had his leg broken in the UEFA cup tie vs Lyon, would there have been no Supercaleygobalistic 3-1 for ICT at Celtic Park as well as no Martin O'Neill as manager the next season, Barnes and the dream team would still be there? Therefore no Neil Lennon or a UEFA cup final in 2003. Not saying Celtic would have been less successful, it just would have turned out differently. I wonder how that would have worked out for us, our new ground was sinking the club at the time, administration was a real possibility. Maybe that win over Celtic inspired that trust fund, those investors and more local businesses to come on board to ensure the club's survival? Would the club still be here if that hadn't happened?

What if Hearts had won the title back in 1986? I was in Barshaw park when the Celtic fans were heading back to Glasgow beeping their car horns and scarves hanging from their car windows. I genuinely thought Hearts had the title in the bag that day.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

What if the 4 Angus clubs had merged a few years back? Can only imagine they's be dominating European football and providing the backbone of the, newly-crowned champions of Europe, Scotland team.

You forgot to mention that their star striker Ronaldo would also be shagging wee Senga fae the Bervie Chipper.

2 minutes ago, WaffenThinMint said:

You forgot to mention that their star striker Ronaldo would also be shagging wee Senga fae the Bervie Chipper.

Messi would be up for signing as well I'd have thought. He'd be wee enough to get a go on that trampoline thing outside Pleasure Land.

One that always bugs me, certainly in recent times anyway is if we'd gone up to the championship the year we finished 2nd and Cowden/Dumbarton and Airdrie all went up because Rangers died. Alloa included 3 of 4 done very well. Anyways that's just Arbroath

In Scotland.... Mahrez signing for Saints. Us beating Georgia twice, Rangers not dying.

Last one in particular is just gold. They've just provided an absolutely unprecedented level of hilarity, who knew that pre match v Peterhead we would be treated to such a delightful 4 years and counting.

On the theme of Rangers death, and trying to adopt a thematic approach rather than one isolated event; what if their record in Europe hadn't been absolute shit in the years leading up to liquidation? Would it have been enough to save them?

If they hadn't fucked up against Kaunas, Malmo etc. in their CL and Europa League playoffs would the European money have been enough to see them merely go through administration, rather than liquidation? Suspect that they were always doomed once googly eyes got control off of David Murray no matter how much cash at hand and in the bank they had/debtors etc. but along the same lines, would Murray have done a runner had they managed to get through to the more lucrative stages of European competition rather than getting their arses handed to them by shit-tier sides/could they have found a buyer that wouldn't have shafted them over time and again?

What if George Burley had been left in charge after his massive winning streak at the start of that season with Hearts, rather than being punted and shortly thereafter Gordon etc. were sold?

Could Garry O'Connor have been a Scotland and Premiership regular had he not gone to Russia so young and ended up with so much cash at such a young age (think he was 22 when he left, old enough for some to know better but clearly not, with hindsight, oor Garry)?

On another Rangers theme, what would have happened if every club refused them entry into the SPFL/SFL (as it was at the time?) and they disappeared a la Third Lanark or had to form a Junior side?

What if Hearts had won the title back in 1986? I was in Barshaw park when the Celtic fans were heading back to Glasgow beeping their car horns and scarves hanging from their car windows. I genuinely thought Hearts had the title in the bag that day.

Probably not a huge effect on the other clubs involved that day in the longer term.

Rangers had already begun the Souness revolution, we'd miss out on Europe whatever and Celtic wouldn't have suffered any lasting damage.

Probably even more mental scarring for Hibs fans tbh.

Archived