League Cup Semi Final Draw

FlyerTon

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Livingston are home that weekend, but October would be less of an issue for pitch wear than it used to be in January.

If you're considering Lanarkshire grounds why not also Dundee/Dunfermline/Firhill.

Suppose so. Just took instinct there as those seemed roughly in between but yeah, you could bring pretty much everyone in play.

It is rare for semis to be played elsewhere apart from Edinburgh or Glasgow but we've not really had a situation where <10k has been pretty certain for a while so I do think that'd change things. Pretty sure Hearts played someone at Fir Park a few years back at this stage of the competition.

6 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Suppose so. Just took instinct there as those seemed roughly in between but yeah, you could bring pretty much everyone in play.

It is rare for semis to be played elsewhere apart from Edinburgh or Glasgow but we've not really had a situation where <10k has been pretty certain for a while so I do think that'd change things. Pretty sure Hearts played someone at Fir Park a few years back at this stage of the competition.

St Mirren????

13 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Maybe it's just me but I want to watch Morton in a cup semi final at Hampden. Wouldn't care if there was 15k people there.

This.

Folk wanting to go to Edinburgh can go to the castle or the fucking zoo.

It's not as though we've been getting to semi finals every other season ffs. We get one shot at this in a blue moon. Has to be Hampden.

21 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Since abolition of 2-legged Semi-Finals for 1986-87 these have been played outside of Glasgow / Edinburgh.

Also for completeness Scottish Cup SFs since abolition of 2nd replays in 1989-90.

League Cup SFs
1987-88 ... Aberdeen v Dundee ... at Tannadice ... 22,034
1988-89 ... Aberdeen v Dundee Utd ... at Dens Park ... 18,491
1994-95 ... Raith Rovers v Airdrieonians ... at McDiarmid Park ... 7,269
1995-06 ... Dundee v Airdrieonians ... at McDiarmid Park ... 8,900
1999-00 ... Aberdeen v Dundee Utd ... at Dens Park ... 9,500
2006-07 ... Kilmarnock v Falkirk ... at Fir Park ... 10,722
2009-10 ... Hearts v St Mirren ... at Fir Park ... 9,170

Scottish Cup SFs
1990-91 ... Dundee Utd v St Johnstone ... at East End Park ... 16,560
2003-04 ... Dunfermline v Inverness ... at Pittodrie ... 5,728 (replay)

This.

Folk wanting to go to Edinburgh can go to the castle or the fucking zoo.

It's not as though we've been getting to semi finals every other season ffs. We get one shot at this in a blue moon. Has to be Hampden.

It's exactly that reason that I don't care about the venue. The occasion is the important thing first and foremost. The venue being Hampden is of no consequence to me.

3 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

It's exactly that reason that I don't care about the venue. The occasion is the important thing first and foremost. The venue being Hampden is of no consequence to me.

I've never seen one Semi final on tv at Tyncastle/Easter Road/Fir Park or wherever and thought " God i wish we could get there ".

Every time there's a semi final or final at Hampden and i see diddy team fans with flags etc all having the time of their lives it has me hoping upon hope we'd get there in my lifetime.

A semi final to me at a run of the mill stadium rather than our national stadium is not a huge amount more exciting for me than a quarter final, unless we win it of course.

Hampden is crap and I'd rather play in a smaller but fuller ground just about anywhere than play St Johnstone or Aberdeen in front of 25k or less. 

It's all good though, the Stranger Dangers will be looking for an easy tie so we're odds on to get them. 

We brought 20k to our last league cup semi so it wouldn't (or shouldn't) be at Tynecastle, in the unlikely event of us eliminating St Johnstone and avoiding the bigots.

Your last league cup semi was against us right? How could you have brought 20k when tynecastle only holds 16,500? Are you suggesting at least 8000 Aberdeen fans traveled to Edinburgh without a ticket?

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Your last league cup semi was against us right? How could you have brought 20k when tynecastle only holds 16,500? Are you suggesting at least 8000 Aberdeen fans traveled to Edinburgh without a ticket?

Our last league cup semi was against Dundee Utd at hampden

if Aberdeen win tonight, I think both games will be at Hampden. A Morton/Aberdeen semi would attract more than 20k IMO.  I would expect us to bring around 7-8k and would imagine the Dons would bring more than 12-13k. No point in potentially locking people out of a game like that if its at Easter Road.

Just win tonight Aberdeen please.

We'll get Celtic if we get through, then be forced to endure Hampden. Anythings better than Tynecastle though, which gives me the utter fear in this competition.

Never been to Easter Road, so Rangers or Morton there would be perfect.

if Aberdeen win tonight, I think both games will be at Hampden. A Morton/Aberdeen semi would attract more than 20k IMO.  I would expect us to bring around 7-8k and would imagine the Dons would bring more than 12-13k. No point in potentially locking people out of a game like that if its at Easter Road.

Just win tonight Aberdeen please.

2000 Morton fans and 6000 orcs and Tim hangers on.

If we get through and draw Morton I hope it's at Easter Road.

It means some will be left ticketless but will be a much better atmosphere. 

In any case, I volunteer to do some kind of forfeit if the draw isn't:

Sevco v Morton

Celtic v Aberdeen/Saints

Completely and utterly nailed on

37 minutes ago, Karl Fletcher said:

Sevco v Morton

Celtic v Aberdeen/Saints

That would lead to the conspiracy theorists suggesting that the oldest club left in the competition are being handed the easiest possible draw to ensure their safe passage to the final.

Sadly though, I don't think the SPFL would go out their way to help us like that.

1 hour ago, Karl Fletcher said:

Sevco v Morton

Celtic v Aberdeen/Saints

Nailed because you think its a fix or some other fate like reason???

Archived