The sworded Dundee United v The swordees, The Famous Greenock Morton

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Much like how Dave Narey's famous toepoke against Brazil ended up backfiring, I fully expect a fired up United to celebrate our strategic exit from the diddy cup with a proper turning over of Morton.

5-0 (Murrayx3, Edge, Gunning o.g.), Sir Gav celebrating his o.g. with a chicken dance through the Eddie Thompson stand.

876fac84b3aa1cf10db2b31d958faed9.jpg

Dillon in for Dutch Dillon (thats what I'm calling him now) please. Murray in for Fraser and we go for a 442 diamond (not going to happen but who cares). Telfer, Flood, Andreu will still all be out apparently. 

Bell

Toshney FFS

Dillon (should be at right back)

Edge

Robson

Spittal FFS

Murdoch

VdV

Obadeyi

Murray

Smith

We'll probably lose this but I'm not particularly arsed (maybe if it's a hiding I will be.) Squad are probably knackered and we're threadbare on top of that. We've seen how rank United are though so I'd expect us to score at least. 2-1 United, Oliver with our goal.

I'd probably give a few players a rest tomorrow in the forward positions: being the only area of the park where we have fit replacements to do so. You'd expect Dundee United to have possession for longer periods tomorrow: I don't see the purpose of having Quitongo, who was knackered on Tuesday night, doing the donkey work closing their defence down for the first hour. He needs to be kept in good condition to dispatch Raith at home next Saturday, which is a better chance of three points, as well as the semi-final.  If the game is still tight with half an hour to go then bring him on to deliver his usual swording though. I'd go:

McNeil

Our only fit defence (other than Strapp)

Lindsay Forbes

Nesbitt Oliver Tiffoney

McDonagh/Oyenuga

There's a case for resting Oliver from the start and bringing Scullion in as well. 

Dundee United (home) W1 D2 L0 v Morton (away) W0 D1 L2

or

Morton (home) W1 D2 L0 v Raith (away) W1 D1 L1

All three teams look, as you'd expect anyway, to be stronger playing at home: so us playing Raith at Cappielow is objectively a better chance of picking up three points than a visit to Tannadice. The bookies would also agree, even accounting for the effect of money on the home side tomorrow. 

On 9/21/2016 at 13:34, Gibby82 said:

1969. Gave us seven in the '50s. We went through a run of giving you a few hidings in the early '80s. Five consecutive games from 1983-85 finished 24-0 to us on aggregate.

I make it 22-0 in 5 league games and there's a 4-0 cup defeat in there too.  You had a superb team in those days and we were woeful after the Ritchie era team fell apart.

Still recall Ritchie scoring from about 40 yards at the Wee Dublin End - possibly against Bonetti or maybe it was Macalpine.

24 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I make it 22-0 in 5 league games and there's a 4-0 cup defeat in there too.  You had a superb team in those days and we were woeful after the Ritchie era team fell apart.

Still recall Ritchie scoring from about 40 yards at the Wee Dublin End - possibly against Bonetti or maybe it was Macalpine.

MacAlpine

51 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Sinclair Street end. Hamish.

Archived