Old Firm referee bias.

Remember a Killie game at Ibrox a few years ago.

We actually got a penalty, it was 1-1 and Rangers (RIP) were struggling badly, fans really getting hostile to the ref. Eventually they get a late goal to make it 2-1.

We go up the other end and Kyle Lafferty smashes Tim Clancy for the clearest penalty you'll ever see - nothing.

The ref bottled it, simple as that, and I'm sure it happens a lot!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

Hi No8, hiya pal. :)

Clint Hill dived into Curran's elbow to get a foul, the player carded, feigned injury and insulted the ball. He was lucky to still be on the park and why the BBC didn't show it, it was embarrassing as f**k man.

They did show Barrie McKay getting cleaned out by 2 County defenders in a close call whether was a Penalty or a free kick just outside the box. Referee solved all that debate by not giving anything at all but of course Rangers get all the decisions :rolleyes:

Forrester was very fortunate to stay on the pitch at Dens Park but in that game Darren O Dea should have been given a straight Red for kicking out at him off the ball. 

As far as the no8 jibe goes. Go and get a Mod to check my IP address

Couple of points I feel are relevant.

Rangers fan at my work said this morning he felt it was a shocker and a straight red.

As for the point made that all big teams in the world get decisions I cast my mind back to Alan Shearer on MOTD. After not getting a stonewall penalty for Newcastle at Old Trafford he said "Alan Shearer doesn't get penalties at the Stretford end"

Quite amusing to see Rangers and Celtic fans don't actually accept they get the majority of calls. I've seen the odd decision go against both in favour of Falkirk, but I can fill a catalogue with shockers going for them.

I could go on all day about the disgraceful decisions we've been on the recieving end of against the Old Firm - I'm sure we all could.

The one that sticks out the most was the day our English striker Rod McDonald was sent off for two bookings against the old Rangers - one of which was for blessing himself as he ran onto the pitch (something he did every week). There's cowardice and cheating, but that was outright sectarianism. He was also subjected to monkey chants by the Rangers fans as he left the field.

Not only that, but racist, alcoholic, wife-beating piece of shit Paul Gascoigne kicked and elbowed his way through the entire match and went unpunished by the referee Jim Gilmour. Astonishingly, Gilmour admitted after the game that he deliberately failed to send Gascoigne off as he "feared a riot".

One of the most shameful afternoons in Scottish football history, yet it's never really been discussed in any great detail.

Funny that.

Funny you mention that. Walker was subsequently suspended for 2 games after that. 

John Guidetti on the other hand escaped any sort of punishment for his effort at Tynecastle. 

So have Celtic never had a player suspended for simulation then?

I could go on all day about the disgraceful decisions we've been on the recieving end of against the Old Firm - I'm sure we all could.

The one that sticks out the most was the day our English striker Rod McDonald was sent off for two bookings against the old Rangers - one of which was for blessing himself as he ran onto the pitch (something he did every week). There's cowardice and cheating, but that was outright sectarianism. He was also subjected to monkey chants by the Rangers fans as he left the field.

Not only that, but racist, alcoholic, wife-beating piece of shit Paul Gascoigne kicked and elbowed his way through the entire match and went unpunished by the referee Jim Gilmour. Astonishingly, Gilmour admitted after the game that he deliberately failed to send Gascoigne off as he "feared a riot".

One of the most shameful afternoons in Scottish football history, yet it's never really been discussed in any great detail.

Funny that.

How very dare you. Stan says this sort of thing doesn't happen with our refs.

Stan, when you're ready, it's time to get challenging this again.

There is no bias, collusion or conspiracy from referees to assist Celtic, Rangers or any side, referees are just of a poor standard and woefully inconsistent in this country. Attitudes like this just reek of a losers mentality and inability to accept defeat on the chin so this daft wee conspiracy is thrown up to try and excuse the fact that a particular team lost a particular match for whatever reason. It's pathetic.

Same old Davie, always playing the victim. It's always someone else's fault eh? 

On a thread where the diddies are putting their failings down to the refs it's ironic you say 'always someone else's fault' :lol:

C'mon now, don't be put off from defending your point of view just because it's fellow diddies making similar points you challenged me on now. Be consistent...don't let them gang up on you or intimidate you wee man.

9 hours ago, BobWilliamson said:

I take everybody missed Curran elbowing Clint Hill at the weekend. The impartial BBC left it out their highlights. :1eye

The BBC absolutely adore the Blue Vermin, old and new versions. 

Greg Tansey was sent of for this clash with Samaras. Samaras claimed he had been jabbed in the eye by a fingernail. As you can see in the picture below there certainly appears to be some eye gouging going on.

Image result for tansey sent off

This happened at 36 minutes and the teams were at 0-0 and we were looking lively against them. The sending off changed the game and Celtic ran out 2-0 winners. Caley Thistle appealed the red card and this was rescinded with referee Steven O'Reilly admitting he had made a mistake. Well, saying sorry is not going to give back points lost that day.

I'm not accusing referees of being biased despite that, but how many examples has their been where a referee has made a similar call against Celtic or Rangers only for the decision to be overturned by panel?.

It happens, of course it does. I've witnessed some horrible 'mistakes' from referees whilst playing against Celtic and Rangers, (RIP). Even in our game against new Rangers a couple of weeks ago, the ref quite rightly sent off Taylor for a shocker on Barton but no-one really mentioned that Garner should also have been off at that point for a shocker of an assault on Killie defender Boyle and a terrible dive in the Killie box. The challenge on Boyle was very nasty and just as likely to injure as the challenge on Barton but was glossed over. I'm pretty certain that if a Killie player deliberately and clearly forearm smashed a Rangers defender and then also clearly dived in their box at Ibrox, he'd be down the tunnel.

It's not an bias towards these clubs specifically though but a general big club or big crowd bias. I follow Scotland too and have seen some terrible decisions given against us away from home with a partisan crowd. Against ROI, McCarthy should have been off for a clear as day elbow to the head that drew blood. This was followed by a fairly clear offside goal. Against Italy at Hampden, Hutton was smashed off the ball yet utterly unbelievably Italy were given the free kick from which they scored and knocked Scotland out, (that one might actually have been deliberate come to think of it).

Conversely, watching Killie against lower league opposition or watching Scotland against minnows, we seem to get our fair share of decisions. The long and short of it is that refs are human and fear the repercussions of an unpopular decision.

I've no doubt that all of this is compounded by the media trials and witch-hunts which take place after a dubious decisions against the cheeks though. If the ref makes a bad decision in their favour, it's briefly highlighted by Sportscene, if he makes a bad decision against them then he's tried and convicted across the course of the week by ex-players and referees calling for action. The ref in the Killie v The Rangers game was subjected to "who's the f**ian in the black?" chants and I've heard "who's the mason in the black?" from victim FC - the refs must hear this too and some will be affected by it, it's only natural.

17 minutes ago, MJC said:

There is no bias, collusion or conspiracy from referees to assist Celtic, Rangers or any side, referees are just of a poor standard and woefully inconsistent in this country. Attitudes like this just reek of a losers mentality and inability to accept defeat on the chin so this daft wee conspiracy is thrown up to try and excuse the fact that a particular team lost a particular match for whatever reason. It's pathetic.

Are you pointing the finger at Celtic and Rangers fans, because when they lose we see, hear and read exactly what you describe in that second sentence?

Archived