Airdrie v Rovers

2lgm

2 hours ago, Airdrieyin said:

IMO Scott Stewart is never a midfielder in a million years his first touch is poor, his passing isn't the greatest, he doesn't have any attributes to make him a midfielder,I think his best position is CH 

Outfield players have 4 key attributes:  

PASSING, DESTROYING (the ability to break up play), RUNNING (with or without the ball), and FINISHING.

Could you mark his abilities out of 5?  IMO...

Passing:  3/5 (adequate but not brilliant)

Destroying: 3/5 (he's not unbeatable, can win the ball but often caught out)

Running:  5/5 (can be a real force)

Finishing: 2/5  (capable of scoring)

That suggests to me his skillset's best position would be as a wide midfielder.  I want 5/5 defenders in defence and preferably one in centre mid.

Rate our current outfielders in 1st team on each of those disciplines to see where our strengths and weaknesses are.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vs east Fife Stewart probably made more tackles than anyone in our team. This makes me think he is capable of playing in midfield as a ball winner, allowing conroy and leitch to go and link the forward play. Either that or right of a 4 man midfield. I can forgive him for being caught out at the back as it isn't his position. As a young man still learning the game I think he has done well overall, an experienced centre half would help......remember we were promised one of them at the start of the season.

32 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Can any Rovers fans enlighten me as to who your last sub was? Reported as Daniel Potts for Wallace - but is Potts not a keeper?

It was Paul Archibald. The numbers appear to have been muddled up as the stadium announcer got them all wrong too! I believe Potts is the guy who wears the blue goalie strip on the bench but I wonder if he's actually just a willing volunteer from the development squad.

Just now, Bold Rover said:

It was Paul Archibald. The numbers appear to have been muddled up as the stadium announcer got them all wrong too! I believe Potts is the guy who wears the blue goalie strip on the bench but I wonder if he's actually just a willing volunteer from the development squad.

cheers BR - afaik Potts is an U20 who came in from Motherwell 17s at start of season. He'll likely be forever credited with a senior appearance after this, even if his future ends up being Newmains Utd and Carluke Rovers!

I saw the logic in giving Stewart a shot at right back, his main/only real attribute is his athleticism, once he gets up and running he's a really strong runner. And if the plan was to play with our full-backs high and wide then it would allow him to take the ball and drive forward. Obviously the big unknown was how good was he at defending, and that has been answered pretty clearly - he's not very good at it. I would say he has suffered from not having experienced or reliable centre backs beside him to guide him. We saw in the last couple of years the difference it made to someone like Jamie Bain - when he had Lindsay and Gasparotto, or even Buchanan and Milojevic, beside him he was excellent. When he had the procession of duds before them he looked shaky. I would have liked to have seen how Stewart would have done in a more settled back line.

In all honesty I think the fact he is almost a guaranteed starter is a reflection of where we are. Up until a good final few games of the season last year I'm not sure most fans - maybe even the club - wanted him to stay.

Archived