Coaching Philosophy

Tonyspencer88

Hi guys. Just wondered what different peoples opinioms were on the following: 

Will try to keep as short as possible...

In 2012 I took over a new 7 a side team within my local club (2003 age group). My philosophy has always been development over winning, although trying to develop a positive mentality which in turn would hopefully result in positive performances hence victories for the boys. Fast forward 3 years we joined with another team (who were formally part of another club but joined with our club with the sole purpose of joining with my team to make an 11 a side team).

We are now in our 2nd year of 11's and playing for points. The 2 other coaches are of the belief that winning every week is the main thing whereas I do not, as long as boys are improving and having fun. 

Basically this was brought up by myself and disagreements occured and resulted in me stepping out as coach of the team.

I would just like to get some opinions on the above...

What would your philosophy be? Even at an under 14 level. I have an HND in coaching, SFA Level 1.4 qualified and worked in America coaching kids soccer camps. 

Cheers,

Tony. 

At that age, it should be about development and enjoyment. Nobody wants to lose but fundamentally they're playing because they want to enjoy it - a lot easier to enjoy when you're winning but it should be about enjoyment first and foremost imo.

For what it's worth, I done a little coaching in my mid/late teens when I stopped playing but then moved away and even started playing again - and now more than ever I only play for enjoyment.

I would focus on development however I don't think its as black and white as winning or development and fun. For example I would only put players in weaker positions or enforce a condition on the game (such as 2 touch or first time finish) if the team were winning comfortably or were expected to win by a large margin. In tighter games playing to win, I think can be beneficial. I would say this is an opportunity to develop psychological skills through that desire to win. That said, how far do you take that desire to win? gamesmanship tactics such as pressuring the referee and time wasting are completely unacceptable.

Part of the fun of football, whether you are 5 or 50 years old, is winning and if a player looks at a league table and see's their team is rock bottom with -50 goal difference due to an attempt at developing technical ability you may end up losing players from the game due to losing confidence from getting beaten every week. That said, as you alluded to, if you are developing the players well enough, then the results should follow anyway. U14s is an age where there is quite a substantial difference in body size and physicality so coaches can stack the deck in their favour just by getting big players who in turn will be faster and stronger which is a massive advantage in any sport.

If winning is the only aim, skills a player is weak at become neglected and losing becomes an entirely negative experience. Losing, in my opinion, is a cornerstone of development. Everyone has their own philosophy and blueprint of how to coach, If coaches start to disagree on such an important principle, it is probably for the best to step down as players need clear guidance. That decision must have been difficult because I am sure you would have had a strong relationship with some of the players through coaching the over several years. 

My view is that if you are developing the players and the team, then you play better in games and therefore get more success with results. I don't see why the two can't go together. 

It really comes down to how has the focus on winning affected the development?

• 2 weeks later...

Winning and losing is part of development also, I personally like to see kids / players with a winning mentality but it's not paramount, would never win at any cost as a coach or a player.

This is where I think the problem lies, in any level of football I have been involved 9 times out of 10 a coach will put the teams desire to win things ahead of the players individual development and progression. How many people to we know that makes it awkward for a player to move on?? It's our jobs as coaches to get the best out of our players and further their development to the highest possible level.

For me 4s-7s is where a player is shaped, all good and bad coaching points and techniques stick. From an early age I worked with my players on a technical Base, made sure all proper techniques were carried out, everything was included, beginning with running as a vast majority of young kids I see playing have incorrect technique and is easier to correct at a younger age than apposed to in their post addolcent years.

The way coaching is now being looked at now is very exciting, we have a lot of young coaches coming through with excellent ideas on how the game should be played and within Scotland we are now in a position where our facilities are getting better every year and players now have opportunities that weren't there in years past.

• 4 months later...

As the objective is to score more goals than the other team, football is competitive. However, it has been said that winning or competition is only for older or higher level teams. If the objective is not to win than it is not football. Somehow, with some, wanting to win is misunderstood as not having fun or enjoyment. Every player should try their best to win, and win, draw or lose they should have fun, perhaps winning is more fun but not always.

The problem of winning and enjoyment exists in youth football because of adults. It is the adult attitude to winning or losing, it is how the adult supports or does not support the child to learn about winning or losing. It is the adult as a role model, a teacher, a counsellor, a parent. All children who play the game want to win. If you organize a round robin tournament, do not keep scores, do not ask about scores, do not award points and do not place any emphasis on winning. At the end the children will be able to tell you who were the best team, who was the second best team etc.

Adults, coaches, parents, volunteers, supporters and family should educate the children positively how to cope with winning and losing. In the first instance, by their personal behavior, as role models. Also to ensure by organization that players experience winning and losing in equal measures. There must be a consistent positive coaching and playing environment throughout a child’s development.

keep asking yourself three questions;

·       Is the game still being played?

·       Is the game still being learned?

·       Is the game still being enjoyed?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just starting out coaching youth team and we are 2011's for me at the moment is getting everyone involved and equal game time. You know which ones are stronger than others but its all about the team and keeping everyone feeling part of it.  Making sure they all have fun and feel part of the team is my main objective.

i don't coach but i plan to at some point, i always feel at that age let them enjoy it , maybe once you get a couple of years older the more serious it gets.

naturally the boys will want to win, the worst thing that can happen is they go out fearing defeat.

Win at all costs, at all ages. This lack of competitiveness in Scottish youth football is a joke. Not allowed to record results, goalscorers, can't play for trophies, medals, it's all nonsense. We are breeding a whole generation of losers. Kids who will grow up with no clue about the importance f actually winning. Football is the sport and winning is the game. Plain and simple. That winners mentality cannot be switched on and off at will between one age and another. Kids want to win, the better kids especially know winning is important and no amount of fatcat downplaying of results not mattering will change that in them, born winners. 

The myth that kids cannot develop properly if all we care about is winning is utter nonsense. Kids want to win. Good players want to win. Winners want to win. That is the kind of players our country should be developing. Not losers who came up through the ranks being constantly told the result didn't matter. Not everyone can be a winner, not everyone can be a professional, that is life sadly. This equal game time and need to be fair to everyone is utter rubbish as well, not everyone is good at football. That is also, life. 

I have coached numerous clubs from soccer 4s to soccer 7s and to get the kids competitive football we have had to take them to Holland, Spain, England, Germany and France, all countries who embrace competitiveness in kids. All countries with far greater footballing infrastructures than Scotland. 

Scotland has become a backwater in world football, we are footballing nobodies. And it all starts at grassroots and our young losers. 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if clubs can opt out of the syfa rule 54 stating that all registered players should get equal gametime where possible?
Had an email from chief exec enforcing this rule but our club is blatantly ignoring it and missing players out for 5-6 weeks at a time?

Suspect the words 'where possible' will allow coaches to use their judgement and discretion on playing time. I'd doubt there will be sanctions applied to coaches who ignore it and/or use it inappropriately. It may be best to evaluate whether this is the right coaching philosophy for your kid. If it's not find a club with coaches who are a 'better fit' for your child. A lack of playing time will stymie his/her development and if the coach or club won't change perhaps you need to look for a change of environment for your kid.

• 2 weeks later...

Iv always been brought up to win. I know these days it's about development but we are breeding and developing a generation of 'losers' who think it's ok to concede because they are developing! We wonder why we as a country are crap? If I had that attitude as a kid my coach would've kicked me up and down the pitch. It's about growing up and learning to lose and the hurt that comes with it. Might sound harsh but it's my opinion!

Up until 12 years old youth football in Scotland is small sided and supposedly non competitive. At this stage I do think coaches should work on the principle of equal game time for all players. From 13 onwards when football is more structured and competitive then I think it is inevitable and correct that the focus will be on the supposedly better players. Is that so different from other sports or even life itself? However, I think it is important that football as a sport can provide a structure to allow players to find a level to participate at regardless of ability. Here in the NE there are a number of well run youth football clubs who field 2 or even 3 teams within an age group allowing all boys an girls and option to play. An inability to play football does not diminish passion for the game. There are many people who never cut it as a player who still contribute to the game as a supporter, coach, organiser, referee or sponsor etc.

These are all we'll put comments and to an extent I agree with most of them but what's missing is the syfa have a rule in place rule 54 that states all kids registered to receive equal playing time where possible,if a club can use the "where possible "wording to leave a kid out because they don't think it's possible for that kid to play with the so called stronger players then I don't see the point in the rule being in place.

These are all we'll put comments and to an extent I agree with most of them but what's missing is the syfa have a rule in place rule 54 that states all kids registered to receive equal playing time where possible,if a club can use the "where possible "wording to leave a kid out because they don't think it's possible for that kid to play with the so called stronger players then I don't see the point in the rule being in place.

Is it a rule, or guidance? Players should where possible be in a team where the players are of similar ability. This is the best environment for them to develop. I don't think I would allow my son to be in a team where the coach didn't want him to play. Time to move on I would say. Plus, the coach isn't going to be more receptive to a parent who waves round SYFA rules or emails at him. Not saying that's right but realistic

On 2017-4-16 at 13:54, Yfs1 said:

Does anyone know if clubs can opt out of the syfa rule 54 stating that all registered players should get equal gametime where possible?
Had an email from chief exec enforcing this rule but our club is blatantly ignoring it and missing players out for 5-6 weeks at a time?

As far as i know there are no "rules" as such for anything under 12 years of age. Everything is just guidelines to keep parents who coach who don't have a clue on the right track. Common sense and dedication to turn up every Sunday morning is very much what runs the soccer 4s, 5s and 7s.  Parents just taking part so their sons can get a kick about.

On 2017-4-16 at 17:07, Yfs1 said:

I've got other kids at the same club so logistics would never add up ,my kids been at this club for years and it would break his heart to leave he's only 10.
Hopefully syfa can resolve

Have you actually made a complaint to the SYFA about the club? May i ask which club it is? The Edinburgh pond is small and most clubs and coaches will get to know each other. It's no secret which clubs try and keep to the guidelines and which ones are a bit more ruthless and try to be run more "professionally". 

If you are looking an all inclusive club then you very much have to go to a mickey mouse club where plain and simple participation is their main focus. These clubs tend to lack when the going gets tougher and competitive though when the kids do reach that age of 12. 

Without sounding cheeky, it sounds like your son is maybe one who is missing out and perhaps just not good enough to play at the level required for that club, or coach rather? 

As your son is the age group i am involved in, if you PM me your sons team and coaches name, i will most likely know them and him and i can maybe advise you better on how to go about doing what it is you are trying to do. 

On 2017-4-24 at 21:33, pleslie99 said:

Iv always been brought up to win. I know these days it's about development but we are breeding and developing a generation of 'losers' who think it's ok to concede because they are developing! We wonder why we as a country are crap? If I had that attitude as a kid my coach would've kicked me up and down the pitch. It's about growing up and learning to lose and the hurt that comes with it. Might sound harsh but it's my opinion!

It's an opinion which i share. Football isn't about letting the wee by down the street into your team just so he is included, football is about winning. Regardless of age. It's little wonder how far back this country has gone after taking competitiveness out of kids football. I grew up as a 8, 9, 10 year old to go out and win, every week. Every league, every trophy, regardless of what club i played for. The aim was always to win. Kids were subs and didn't play much, that was how it was and we developed some very good players working that way. Now we don't develop anything. There is nothing coming out of Scotland at all and there hasn't been for a very long time. 

Competitiveness in kids football wasn't the issue, it was having 7 and 8 year olds playing 11 a side football on big massive parks and some kids not seeing any of the ball during the games with wee tiny goalies standing in big massive goals. Facilities. Infrastructure. Taking that winning edge out of our game has completely ruined grassroots in Scotland and the fat cats are too stubborn and stuck in their ways now to change it for the better. We now have facilities galore, everywhere is set up for small sided games, they should now let the kids go and play for cups and trophies, demand more of them and breed that winners mentality into them from an early age, like 9 countries out of 10 around the world do! Given our standing in the world game it's impossible for anyone to conclude that we are doing it right. We're clearly not. 

Archived