Stenhousemuir -vs- Alloa Athletic

This should be a pretty interesting match between two old sparring partners. Both teams are performing as expected - Stenny are jobbing at the foot of the table while Alloa are hanging with the big cats at the top. Both sides had decent results at the weekend. Both managers add an extra layer of intrigue - Bomber Ferguson is revered at the Recs while this could well be Jack Ross' final game as Alloa manager. All in all, I'm expecting a decent contest.

I think Alloa will win of course, they're a lot better than us, but we'll certainly give them something to think about if we can perform as well as we did in the second half against Peterhead. That was the best 45 minutes of football I've seen from the Warriors all season. We're also in an interesting position when, for the first time in a long time, we've got a slight headache with regards to how we line up. I'd like to see Willis Alves Furtado paired up front with Colin McMenamin - that might be a little harsh on Oliver Shaw, who's looked okay-ish so far, but I reckon Furtado and McMenamin will cause all sorts of problems, especially if the former has licence to drift across the frontline. If he's fit, I'd also bring Vinnie Berry back into the starting XI in place of Liam McCroary; failing that, Kieran Millar should start. Will the trialist David Marsh be making a return? Let's have another look at him.

- McMenamin - Furtado -

- Cook - Stirling - Berry - Gilhaney -

- Meechan - Marsh - Kerr - McCormack -

- McCabe

I would reckon Stenny will be smoking a big fat L by the end of this but play to our potential and there could be a minor upset on the cards.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't see Alloa losing this one same line up that started against queens unless Marr is fit.

Alloa Team
Parry
Taggart
Waters
Graham
Goodwin
Gordon
Flannigan
Robertson
Spence
Cawley
Kirkpatrick

To early for Jack to get the St Mirren job. He is not that stupid to follow in the mistake Tom Hendrie made totally screwed his career up after that gig. St Mirren is a Dead end club.

Going to St Mirren didn't do much for his old boss at Dumbarton either. Iain Murray's reputation took an almighty bashing in a very short space of time at St Mirren. Having built his own squad at Alloa and got off to a flier this season with them, there is an argument that it makes more sense for Jack Ross to stay where he is for a bit longer and further enhance his reputation, rather than putting it on the line with a club whose squad doesn't look great and who seem to be in free-fall. Then again, he might see St Mirren as a great chance to take on a biggish club fallen on hard times with potential to do much much better than they currently are. I really hope we have JR for a full season at least, but time will tell.

Alloa obviously have big game on Wednesday night so we'll see how things look after that. Stenny seem to be improving and I'm very impressed that they have a player called  Willis Alves Furtado, who apparently is also pretty decent. 

Dont see why people think jack ross will leave us, he hasnt achieved anything as our manager yet, cant see him making that backwards step nor can i see st mirren taking yet another risk.

If we can turn our performances around from the last few weeks i think we could win this one.

I'd drop robbo and stick longworth up top as i dont think we need to play 2 holding midfielders, longworth changed the game on saturday for me when he came on therefore he has to start.

Robertson isnt a holding midfielder.

I dont think we've played particularly bad at all. Even the Livi game we were fine in spells. There are some decent teams in this league who arent just going to roll over and die.

Obviously Bomber is a cracking guy and I really want him to do well. We'll be expecting to win this one based on the current league table- but agree that we'll need a good performance to do so.

Stenny away is brilliant. Ive missed it. Hopefully a good away turnout behind the goals at Ochilview. 

4 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

Dont see why people think jack ross will leave us, he hasnt achieved anything as our manager yet, cant see him making that backwards step nor can i see st mirren taking yet another risk.

If we can turn our performances around from the last few weeks i think we could win this one.

I'd drop robbo and stick longworth up top as i dont think we need to play 2 holding midfielders, longworth changed the game on saturday for me when he came on therefore he has to start.

I agree Longworth is due a start but not at the expense of dropping Robertson who is a first pick for me. Gives the midfield energy and links the play from defence to attack and is a genuine box to box player, if Longworth does start Cawley is probably the person most at risk of missing out. Either way a pleasant problem for Jack Ross as you want those not involved in the starting eleven pushing hard for a start.

I agree Longworth is due a start but not at the expense of dropping Robertson who is a first pick for me. Gives the midfield energy and links the play from defence to attack and is a genuine box to box player, if Longworth does start Cawley is probably the person most at risk of missing out. Either way a pleasant problem for Jack Ross as you want those not involved in the starting eleven pushing hard for a start.

Yeah i fully agree with this, i just couldnt see who else could be dropped, suppose cawley is the same though he has played well so far.

Tomorrow night will be on jacks mind aswell

57 minutes ago, bullyweehutch said:

Maybe I'm late to the part but did alloa sign pat scullion? If so...emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

It's true. A tremendous player who is well worth the big money we are paying him, and will surely be an integral part of the team in the months ahead.

pat.jpg

Didn't realise Stenny had Marsh on trial. How did/does he look? Notice Cesc has him at centre back on his team, his natural position, but hes played relatively well in midfield for us over the last couple of years and got on the score sheet a few times too. 

Shouldn't have too many problems getting another senior gig, a player I would've liked us to hang onto especially now with Dylan Easton out for the season.

1 minute ago, C. Muir said:

Didn't realise Stenny had Marsh on trial. How did/does he look? Notice Cesc has him at centre back on his team, his natural position, but hes played relatively well in midfield for us over the last couple of years and got on the score sheet a few times too. 

Shouldn't have too many problems getting another senior gig, a player I would've liked us to hang onto especially now with Dylan Easton out for the season.

He looked alright at the weekend. He might have been at fault for the first goal when he failed to get close enough to Nicky Riley but on the whole, he did okay. Certainly worth looking at for a second time.

As an aside, I'm sorry to hear Dylan Easton is out for the rest of the season. He looked incredible in the opening couple of matches.

Archived