Automatic cars.

TheCelt67

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

My dad let me do that when he drove buses. I'd stand up front and change the gears on the old semi-automatic double deckers. Surprisingly easy to go from third (top) to reverse though, which is what happened the last time I was allowed to do it.

That's the wonder of synchromesh - but only we auld fuckers appreciate it! 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had an automatic Insignia up until February and I loved it, really smooth and comfortable and not having to change gear was a luxury that I didn't think I would enjoy.

I kept having to change the brake pads pretty regularly as engine braking isn't as much of an advantage so that, plus the enhanced emissions tax meant it was pretty costly to run.

If I had the money I'd have a new automatic car over a manual any day of the week.

Got my first automatic after 26 years of driving a manual, had it about a year and unlikely to go back. 

Downside to the paddle shifts is that they are attached to the steering wheel so unless your hands are at the ten to two position they are a bit of a faff. Having said that knock to gearstick to the left and it is nudge it back to change up and bump it forward to change down, much more fun. 

But back to the original Q, definitely qualify in the manual. 

When I was younger I never had an interest in learning to drive but now as I am getting older I'm getting pissed aff with public transport and with spending a fortune on taxis, I have decided I am going to learn.  Thinking of taking what I would assume to be the easier option of going with automatic driving lessons but not sure if that would limit my choices in the long run.  Does anybody drive an automatic and would they recommend it?

I drove a Jetta 7-speed automatic for 2 years. Loved it. Driven my wife's 1.2 Micra recently and it is terrible in comparison. If you intend driving a small, supermini sized car, learn to drive a manual.

It's a rite of passage for a younger driver who is used to a manual to hop in an automatic and experience the momentary terror as you a approach a junction stompin on the floor in vain for the clutch and grasping fresh air with your left hand. 

...Or stompin on the 'clutch' and nearly heading the windscreen as the car screeches to a halt!

2 hours ago, paranoid android said:

I saw a presentation by Google on driverless cars - the lassie was saying it's not a matter of if they will happen, it's a matter of when.

Absolute fucking madness.

Already happening in the States. Still got some work to do though.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/30/tesla-autopilot-death-self-driving-car-elon-musk

4 hours ago, paranoid android said:
I saw a presentation by Google on driverless cars - the lassie was saying it's not a matter of if they will happen, it's a matter of when.

Indeed! It's bound to come eventually I'm afraid but there will always be some of us who buy cars for more than just get from A to B. There is nothing better than going for a blast through country roads on a cold morning like today and the turbo sucks in that cold air for max power. There is a song by Rush from decades ago which predicted this scary scenario...Red Barchetta.

http://www.rush.com/songs/red-barchetta/

Was reading yesterday about new Mercedes' and Nissans that are implementing self drive features already. The car will control itself between certain speeds but the driver can retake control at any point.

It does seem to be the more likely system we'll get, as a fully automated car has never been in the pipeline. Even these fabled Google ones explicitly say the driver must always have their hands on the wheel and watching traffic

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Was reading yesterday about new Mercedes' and Nissans that are implementing self drive features already. The car will control itself between certain speeds but the driver can retake control at any point.

It does seem to be the more likely system we'll get, as a fully automated car has never been in the pipeline. Even these fabled Google ones explicitly say the driver must always have their hands on the wheel and watching traffic

The presentation I saw was aimed at drivers with visual impairments - she had a slide of a family playing monopoly while the car drove itself.

Her example of a hazard was a woman in an electric wheelchair chasing a duck.

The presentation I saw was aimed at drivers with visual impairments - she had a slide of a family playing monopoly while the car drove itself.

Yeah folk talk about these type of systems all the time, buts it's not something I'd expect to ever see mass produced. The majority will be "Semi-automated" and will still require a "driver". The guy who died in one was watching a film, and it's been admitted that if he'd been looking at the road then he'd have been able to prevent the accident, it's weaknesses in the system like that which will force us away from the truly self driving cars

6 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Sounds like an old episode of Monty Python!

Archived