Unpopular opinions - movies edition

DA Baracus

We've surely seen the Unpopular Opinions thread on the General Nonsense thread. This is the same but solely movie based.

I'll kick off with a couple;

The Big Lewbowski is absolutely pish. Totally unfunny garbage.

Anchorman 2 is tremendous and nearly (but not quite) as good as the first one.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Green Street is utterly fantastic, brilliant spoof without anyone involved seeming to realise it.

Agreed. It's actually a very good comedy film if you approach it as such.

Trashy comics are not suitable source material for decent movies - no matter what fúcking "universe" they're supposed to be. Acting beats CGI any day of the week.

Blues Brothers 2000 is, in the right mood, a decent watch and the music is better than in the original.

The Shining is pish.*

Absolute Beginners was a decent musical.

Les Miserables was not.

*The movie, that is, 

The 2nd and 3rd Matrix films are actually good to watch, as long as you don't stand them up against the original and treat them slightly differently especially the 3rd.

Football Factory, like Green Street, is a brilliant comedy.

Zulu is far too long.

Any film involving Superman is sh*t.

A Shot at Glory is a decent watch, if only to see some cameo roles from the likes of Owen Coyle and Andy Smith.

Restless Native's has sadly not aged well no matter how good the soundtrack and seeing locations you've been to on film.

All superhero films are rubbish, especially Deadpool. Even the trailer had me reaching for the remote. 

Anchorman and the sequel are not funny in the slightest. Not quite as unfunny as Adam Sandler's back catalogue but close. 

The Fifth Element is awful. I'm amazed that so many of my friends have it in their top 10 films of all time.

40 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Blair Witch Project was superb. 

All Star Wars prequels and sequels are utter mince and the only good one is Empire Strikes Back.

CGI has ruined films.

Alien is one of the best sci/fi horror films ever made and should have been left alone.

Empire Strikes Back is a sequel, but I take your point.

Last Crusade is the best of the Indiana Jones series.

In the 'unintentional comedy' genre, The Happening is a superb movie. to the point that I refuse to believe that M. Night Shyamalan didn't have that in mind all along. He cast Marky Mark and Zooey Deschanel, FFS.

Agreed about The Shining. Amazed when people say that film actually gave them nightmares.

28 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

All superhero films are rubbish, especially Deadpool. Even the trailer had me reaching for the remote. 

Pretty much agree with that. Additionally, even the non-superhero films of Christopher Nolan are pretentious pseudo-intellectual w**k. 

I also can't believe the clamouring for Leonardo DiCaprio got for an Oscar, based upon some OK performances.

The Shawshank Redemption is boring and uninteresting. It has very few redeeming features

Jackie Brown is, by some distance, Quentin Tarantino's best film.

The Matrix is rubbish.

On the CGI point, this is an interesting video:

Blues Brothers 2000 is, in the right mood, a decent watch and the music is better than in the original.

I agree with your 1st point but apart from the music at the end ( battle of the band onward) the music in the original is better.

Reservoir Dogs is one of the worst films I have seen.

The Godfather is a shite film as is Apocalypse now.  People only say they like them to not look like an uncultured idiot.  Close encounters is pish too.  Speilbergs had more misses than hits recently.  Every star was film is awful too and are only enjoyed by gibbering simpletons. 

Archived